• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram detected at improper speed in windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Afrikaaner

Registered
hey, i have an amd phenom 9950be running stock, with 2 gigs (2 more in the mail right now) of ocz ddr2 1066 with 5-5-5-15 timings. it is detected no problem by my motherboard as 1066 (no bios changes, just worked) but when i check it in windows with cpuz, it is showing up as 535mhz (probably supposed to be 533). I was reading about some other people with similar problems, but im not sure how to fix this. my nb frequency is 2009mhz, and the fsb:dram (not 100% sure what this is showing, is fsb equivalent to nb?) is 3:8

ok so my memory is at 535, i wasn't doubting that, but if my mobo recognizes it as 1066, how to i get windows to stop being dumb?

i dont think this could be the problem, but could cool and quiet be an issue? i dont think so because it only changes the cpu multiplier, not the clock speeds.

There is no issue, if the RAM is reporting 533MHz, it is correct. DDR stands for 'Double data rate'. So, 533 x 2 = 1066 = no issues.

well thank you for that. i was confused/uneducated.

however, why does it say in spd tab of cpuz that the max bandwidth is PC2-5300 (333mhz)

the memory is (should be) PC8500

or is this because ram over 333 or whatever is technically overclocked?

You can disregard the Max Bandwidth - PC2-5300 result under the SPD tab in CPU-Z. Like Thideras already mentioned, what's of importance are the DRAM Frequency of 533 MHz (DRAM Frequency field under the "Memory" tab), which is 1/2 of 1066 MHz - what the RAM is rated at, and the latency settings (5-5-5-15 as read by CPU-Z). The SPD is programmed at PC2-5300 by OCZ for their PC2-1066 RAM.

What does CPU-z show down the last column? Should be like XMP or something with 533Mhz and 5-5-5-15 timings. But currently it is working fine.

gotcha. you guys iz so smarts! thanks for your help.

i just ordered 2 more gigs friday from newegg. should be here monday along with my 3 500gb seagate 7200.11's for raid 0 (software for now, but looking to get a raid card soonish... should really save for a car though lol)

Back