• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nightmare asus p6t deluxe 2 new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pez6364

Guys,

My friends and I purchased:
a p6t deluxe v2
i7 920
6 gig corsair dominator 1600
cosair 1000W ps
thermalright extreme 120
gtx 280

1st machine: put everything in and found the graphics card fan not spinning. I had a spare gtx260 and the fan was not spinning even though all the graphics cards were both brand new. The hd, the cpu fan, even the led on the graphics card were on but I could not get the graphics card fan on and the monitor received no signal.

2nd machine: I opened up the second motherboard also p6t deluxe v2 and tested both graphic cards and they were both spinning. I'm guessing the motherboard in the first machine got damaged somehow. (Please let me know where I could have gone wrong.) I tested all the parts in the first machine and everything was working except the mobo

So the second machine I tested the build out with just the cpu, mobo, graphics card, hd, and mem connected. I past post and got to the bios. Happy, I put the board in the case did all the wire management and plugged in additional drives and chassis leds, usb, firewire connections etc. Plugged in the board and I saw the power light on and i attempted to turn on the power. The board light flashed an nothing would turn on. I had tested this before placing it in the case and now that I had it in there it was no longer working. If anyone know what I might have done wrong or what the problem is please let me know. I think somehow the mobo got fried on this second build but I don't have any idea what I could have done. while putting it in the case. Its very frustrating and hope if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

make sure there isnt something sticking up under the mobo that could be shorting it out. also make sure that you have the correct 8 pin connector to the mobo and not one of the pci-e connectors.

I dont have anything sticking under the motherboard, but a friend suggested that it could be that I didnt use any plastic washers to mount the board to the tray/case. I'll give it a try but in my past builds I can't remember ever using any washers to mount the board to the case.

:eek: When I was young and inexperienced I installed my first motherboard directly to the case.

Lots of smoke and sparks. Killed it.

Apparently that was the problem. Threw the stoppers in and the system came up for the second build. Happy to be able to admit to my inexperience now that the build is actually working :clap:

The first build I still can't get any graphics card fan to run when the graphics card is connected to the board. The power is definitely there and the graphics cards I've tested with definitely work on other boards, I'm guessing the board has some failure with the pcie connector on the board. Is there any possibility that it can be something I can fix or something I may have overlooked or is asus rma is my only other option?

:eek: When I was young and inexperienced I installed my first motherboard directly to the case.

Lots of smoke and sparks. Killed it.

Back