• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3rd Rampage II board please tell me what I'm doing wrong

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P1EX

Registered
So I bought a rampage II extreme for my pc, Ive had to RMA 2 boards and im on my third and its saying the same thing as the last 2 with the lcd poster saying "locked", from what I understand it just means its a defective board but I have a feeling maybe one of my components are not compatible perhaps and im just missing it, can someone shed some light its driving me crazy.

Everything I used with the new mobo with the exception of the Core I7 I bought is currently in use on my current pc with no problem so I know the components work, ive also tried using the 4 sticks of ram I have in all the possible spots in the mobo according to the mobo user guide book.

The board simply wont post and all the lcd poster is saying is "locked"

heres what im using when trying this out

ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 Video Card

COOLMAX CUQ-1200B 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

OCZ 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Intel Core i7 940 Nehalem 2.93GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

If anyone has any ideal why this thing wont work please let me know its been driving me mad for about a month now

Last edited:
Why dual channel with i7?????????? Take advantage of the tripple channel!

Why 1.2kw PSU for that?

Anyway, try booting with 3 sticks or less and see if that helps.

Why dual channel with i7?????????? Take advantage of the tripple channel!

Why 1.2kw PSU for that?

Anyway, try booting with 3 sticks or less and see if that helps.

The dual channel is what I have in current rig I like to upgrade few pieces at a time, same deal with my PSU

I have tried booting with one, two, three, and four sticks in the correct spots according to the user manual of the mobo with no luck

I'm willing to bet it's the memory. If memory serves me (no pun intended) dual-channel DDR3 is higher voltage stuff that came out for super-high-end S775 builds before lower voltage triple-channel DDR3 came to market. Check your memory specs for voltage. If it requires more than 1.65 volts, you need to trade up to Triple-channel stuff.

Last edited:
i thought i7's and x58 chipsets were triple channel only?
They can run in single or dual as well.

I'm willing to be it's the memory. If memory serves me (no pun intended) dual-channel DDR3 is higher voltage stuff that came out for super-high-end S775 builds before lower voltage triple-channel DDR3 came to market. Check your memory specs for voltage. If it requires more than 1.65 volts, you need to trade up to Triple-channel stuff.
Im with this option here.... :beer:

ah its so simple I bet that's its, ill post back once I find out, thanks for the help guys

just an update guys plugged in 12 gigs of ddr3 and it worked fine, funny thing is its 1.65v vs the 1.70 of the dual channel i was using never would of thought .05 would make or break it

anyhow thanks for the help everyone

Back