• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg RMA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ado

Hello, I'm new here. I was directed to this forum through google, while searching for Newegg RMA reviews. I'll be honest, I searched "Newegg RMA sucks," in order to get the bad reviews first. :bang head

I've noticed that there is a Newegg Rep. here, but I'm not sure if he/she still posts here, so I decided to make this thread.

Anyway, I have a... dilemma. I recently (last week) purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G from Newegg for $700. Everything on the laptop works fine, except for the graphics card, a nvidia geforce 6900m gs, which ruins my whole new-laptop-experience. I dual-boot Vista (for gaming) and Linux (for everything else). In Vista, I get the following error:

nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered.

right after the screen turns black and comes back to life. This is not too annoying when doing normal things such as browsing the web, IMing, or writing a paper, although still unacceptable due to the fact that this is a new laptop. While gaming, once the driver fails, the whole game freezes, along with my laptop. Consequently, I am forced to induce a shutdown, which I HATE doing.

On Linux (Mint 6, 64-Bit), the screen just turns glitchy and the OS locks up, also forcing me to shutdown. This is completely unacceptable because I normally use this OS daily. I have installed new drivers, reinstalled new drivers, installed older drivers, formatted my computer... everything possible. After talking to Acer for about a week (waste of time), I have come to the conclusion that they are of no help whatsoever. Also, I always end up getting a Middle Eastern man who I can barely comprehend.

This only now leaves me with one choice, RMA @ Newegg. I got a reference number from Acer (was told to do this by Newegg), and sent it to Newegg (getting highly repetitive here, lol). I got the following response:

We truly apologize for the inconveniences this may have caused you. As this item # 34-115-539 is warranted through the product manufacturer only, if you experience some problem with it, please contact Acer America at http://www.acer.com/us or call them at 1-800-816-2237. They will assist you directly for trouble shooting or replace/repair it for you. Many manufacturers will also pay for the return shipping cost as well as pay for the shipping cost to send it back to you.

At this point, I am COMPLETELY (pardon the caps) irate. I wouldn't even know where to begin to explain the intensity of how annoyed I am. I do not understand the point of Newegg's RMA if I'm supposed to send it to the manufacturer anyway. As I said before, I've done everything possible to try to fix this. I called Acer one last time, and they told me that it's not their fault, but nvidia's fault, and that the hardware is fine, it's just a software issue. I can't even begin to believe this due to the depths I've went to to try to fix this. Although I am only 18, I am not computer-illiterate, and I do not like being played as a fool. Both Linux and Vista wouldn't fail if it was just a "software issue," with multiple drivers.

Is there any possibility that I can get my laptop replaced with Newegg's RMA?

Also, I apologize for such a long post, I am completely frustrated and needed to get it out. :santa:

Hello, I'm new here. I was directed to this forum through google, while searching for Newegg RMA reviews. I'll be honest, I searched "Newegg RMA sucks," in order to get the bad reviews first. :bang head

I've noticed that there is a Newegg Rep. here, but I'm not sure if he/she still posts here, so I decided to make this thread.

Anyway, I have a... dilemma. I recently (last week) purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G from Newegg for $700. Everything on the laptop works fine, except for the graphics card, a nvidia geforce 6900m gs, which ruins my whole new-laptop-experience. I dual-boot Vista (for gaming) and Linux (for everything else). In Vista, I get the following error:

right after the screen turns black and comes back to life. This is not too annoying when doing normal things such as browsing the web, IMing, or writing a paper, although still unacceptable due to the fact that this is a new laptop. While gaming, once the driver fails, the whole game freezes, along with my laptop. Consequently, I am forced to induce a shutdown, which I HATE doing.

On Linux (Mint 6, 64-Bit), the screen just turns glitchy and the OS locks up, also forcing me to shutdown. This is completely unacceptable because I normally use this OS daily. I have installed new drivers, reinstalled new drivers, installed older drivers, formatted my computer... everything possible. After talking to Acer for about a week (waste of time), I have come to the conclusion that they are of no help whatsoever. Also, I always end up getting a Middle Eastern man who I can barely comprehend.

This only now leaves me with one choice, RMA @ Newegg. I got a reference number from Acer (was told to do this by Newegg), and sent it to Newegg (getting highly repetitive here, lol). I got the following response:

At this point, I am COMPLETELY (pardon the caps) irate. I wouldn't even know where to begin to explain the intensity of how annoyed I am. I do not understand the point of Newegg's RMA if I'm supposed to send it to the manufacturer anyway. As I said before, I've done everything possible to try to fix this. I called Acer one last time, and they told me that it's not their fault, but nvidia's fault, and that the hardware is fine, it's just a software issue. I can't even begin to believe this due to the depths I've went to to try to fix this. Although I am only 18, I am not computer-illiterate, and I do not like being played as a fool. Both Linux and Vista wouldn't fail if it was just a "software issue," with multiple drivers.

Is there any possibility that I can get my laptop replaced with Newegg's RMA?

Also, I apologize for such a long post, I am completely frustrated and needed to get it out. :santa:

Dear Ado,

Thanks for taking the time to post your kind review. We truly apologize for any inconvenience this RMA issue may of caused you. At your earliest convenience please contact me personally at [email protected] or via phone at 800-390-1119 ext 25040 so I may further assist you in this matter.

Hello Mr. Villarino,

I've sent you an e-mail with my name and phone number. I tried contacting you via the number, but I think you were not working at the time.

Thank you.

ado, welcome to the OC Forums, I hope you will find a home here.

@Alex,

Thanks for your quick response, especially to a new forum member. Newegg provides an enormously wonderful shopping experience for the vast majority of computer enthusiasts, and we all hope to continue enjoying that level of service.

Thank you :D

I really hope this works out, now I figured out I can't use Photoshop or InDesign without the driver failing, and they both freeze once the drivers fails.
Bah...

ado, maybe this will help?

Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding -- FIX-- - Dwai
03-Mar-07 06:31:00

I have found and fixed the problem today. This is what appears to happen.
during the installation of the most current drivers 100.65 Vista, an OLD file
nvlddmkm.sys is copied into windows/system32/drivers and not the current one
in the install. As a result the new drivers are attempting to access a file
dated 11/2006 instead of 2/2007 ver 7.15.11.0065 which is in the newest WHQL
driver ver 100.65 vista 32.

Fix: Go to windows/system32/drivers and rename nvlddmkm.sys to
nvlddmkm.sys.old. Go to the nvidia directory and find the file nvlddmkm.sy_
and copy it to windows/system32. Using the cmd window (DOS box) type
EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. When the expansion is complete, copy
the new nvlddmkm.sys to windows/system32/drivers and restart the computer.

Your computer should now work properly.

You will notice that any uninstall and reinstall of nvidia drivers will not
remove the old nvlddmkm.sys file and will not overwrite it with the newer
version. You have to do it manually. I do not know why this happens but who
cares as long it is fixed.

Good luck...

If that does not work try this....option #2

For the first thing, I get:

"Can't open input file: nvlddmkm.sy_" after doing the command prompt. As for the second option, I really don't have $20 for something that might not work.

The reason I'm hesitant to try this fix is because I run both Vista and Linux, and both have a graphics card driver failure. If it was merely a software issue, I know Linux would at least work on older drivers.

--edit--
I went to TweakVista's (option #2) website, and there's a free version of the program. I'll try the fix, thanks.

--edit #2--
The trial version doesn't allow me to access the Advanced tab of 'Security,' so nevermind lol.

Last edited:
Nah, it's cool man, thank you for helping :D

I've tried absolutely EVERYTHING to try to fix this. I am pretty good with computers, so my last resort would be to send it in to get it fixed. I went to UPS a week or so ago, and was going to send it to Acer, and they said "the address isn't confirmed by the computer," so I was just like forget this. For all I know, they could respond with, "Laptop? What laptop?"

Newegg is my last chance, sadly. *crosses fingers*

Well I got my replacement laptop yesterday, and everything seems to be working fine. Installed Linux alongside Vista, and that also runs smoothly.

Thanks a lot, Alex. I was afraid I'd be stuck with a defective laptop forever. :x

Back