• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltages - auto or manual?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ree

Registered
When NOT overclocking - is it worth setting voltages to manual values instead of leaving them on auto? I'm not sure whether "auto" allows voltages to fluctuate or not.

The setup in question is X48 (Rampage Formula) + E8600 + 2x1GB DDR2-1066.

Since you're not overclocking, you can leave all voltages except CPU Voltage (Vcore) and DRAM Voltage (Vdimm) on AUTO...

Code:
CPU Voltage: [color=orange]Set this to match the VID of your chip. This can be read using a program like Real Temp--> "Settings" page--> Core VID--> Max.[/color]
CPU PLL Voltage: [color=orange]AUTO[/color]
DRAM Voltage: [color=orange]Set this to match the minimum voltage, as specified by the memory manufacturer. For example if the RAM is spec'd to run at between 1.9 and 2.1v, set the DRAM Voltage to 1.9v[/color]
FSB Termination Voltage: [color=orange]AUTO[/color]
South Bridge Voltage: [color=orange]AUTO[/color]
SB 1.5V Voltage: [color=orange]AUTO[/color]
CPU GTL Voltage Reference: [color=orange]AUTO[/color]
NB GTL Voltage Reference: [color=orange]AUTO[/color]
DRAM Controller Voltage REF: [color=orange]AUTO[/color]
DRAM Channel A Voltage REF: [color=orange]AUTO[/color]
DRAM Channel B Voltage REF: [color=orange]AUTO[/color]

Last edited:
It says 1.26V on E8600 box - I guess I can safely use this, right?

But actually what would I gain in setting this manually instead of auto?

Chances are that the 1.26v voltage as shown on the box isn't the actual VID (Voltage ID) of the chip. The BIOS doesn't always correctly identify the correct VID, and as such either undervolts or overvolts the CPU when Core Voltage is set to AUTO.

Run CPUZ, find your Vid and set it in BIOS. Many times the CPU is quite stable with voltages less than Vid. If you have the time to do trial and error testing you could go lower Vcore (and therfore slightly lower temps) - your call.

Back