• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 1066 at cas 4 possible with corsair dominator Twinx2x4096-8500C5D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velozzity

Im new at oc forums and I have recently purchased a set of 1066 patriot viper 2 x 2gb modules. They let me down in a big way given that I could'nt overclock them above 1080mhz without failing prime blend in a few seconds or run them at cas4 at 880 mhz. I had been using 4 dimms of OCZ platinum rev. 2 at 880 mhz with timings of 4-4-4-12-23 with 2.2 volts (they have e.v.p. extended volt protection which warranties them at 2.2 +/- .05 volts) I did'nt like the temps they ran and how hot they made my case so I bought the 1066 patriot modules. I am in limbo now as to what memory at 1066 will give me better performance and best timings. Any input about suggested timings and overclockability would be greatly appreciated. The rest of my setup is listed in my sig. Thanks

well even if you could get cas4 on DDR2-1066. im sure it would only be on 2x1gig kits needing about 2.3-2.4v. then you would be back worrying about heat again. you dont need tighter timings at DDR2-1066. its latency will be about the same if not lower then DDR2-800 cas4 and have higher bandwidth as well. im not sure why you think you need higher ram speed with a cpu only at 3.6ghz.

well every day is a learning experience.....I thought that every mhz counted even with memory....as for the latency not sure where i saw it but I thought that every step download in timings resulted in substantially faster response by computer. Was'nt really sure if the rule of 1:1 ratio of fsb to mem applied to amd setups and heard somewhere that amd liked tighter timings?? just interested if it would work in general but glad that you ??hinted?? at the fact that faster memory would'nt really give more gains at my current speed, however I have another thread where I am trying to raise nb speed to the magical number of 2300 mhz +/- and processor to 3700 + and the memory question is relevant to that thread..e.g. memory holding me back from higher cpu overclock...and no I dont want to lower down to 800 mhz range and raise bus to compensate, dont think my motherboard is up to it.

It depends on the application, but AMD generally does better with tighter timings.

4-4-4 might be tough in a 4GB kit.

You could go 4x1GB and pick up two good 4-4-4 1066 kits. Or just loosen the CAS and try running 5-4-4

Not sure if it is still true, but AMD used to perform better with 4 sticks vice 2 due to better bank interleaving than intel.

given that im relatively new to this I was referred to buy 2 x 2 sticks because I was told at the store where I bought It that my motherboard would have a harder time running 4 * 1 gb sticks @ 1066. Plus I have 4 - 1gb sticks of OCZ platinum rev 2 which I used at 880 (4-4-4-12-23) for about a year but was replacing them because of the heat issue and the fact that both the vipers and dominators have alot better heatsink. I tried both the 1066 kit at 1076mhz with (5-5-5-15) timings and the 880 at (4-4-4-12) and in sandras latency and bandwidth test they seemed relatively close in performance. That is why I was interested in If the dominators would do cas4 because it should be superior to both the setups i previously listed.

Back