• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What I7 Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JamesMore

I need help on picking a motherboard for a I7 920 Intel chip that I hope to over clock pc will be for work but I do like to game.

I like Asus and have my eye on ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 but open for ideas, I think SAS would be nice but not sure if its worth the price at the moment. I would like to raid 0 a couple of disks at some stage.

So any ideas or help on the subject would be great :)

Asus rampage extreme II they have the ATX version open box on newegg for like $280 i just ordered one!

I saw that open boxes are much cheaper but was trying to work out what I was missing with a open box. Can I buy parts on e-bay what do I really need from the extras ?

I haven't looked too hard, but the only loose item I have seen for sale is the I/O shield.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-I-O-IO-SHI...yZ108978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd be a little leery. Most people say that the Asus boards they have gotten "open box" from newegg don't include anything but the board. That means your going to spend $20 on an I/O shield and even more on the soundcard that comes with the mobo if you don't already have one.

I saw that open boxes are much cheaper but was trying to work out what I was missing with a open box. Can I buy parts on e-bay what do I really need from the extras ?
It's just a chance you take.
I've bought a couple of OB boards in which everything was there.
IIRC, EVIL has purchased a couple - one was complete and one had just the board.
We have a builder over at TRP that purchased an OB P5E and all he received was the board.

Yer newegg does say that you just get the board so you are very lucky to get any thing else.

Included with the board are:
Manual, (should be able to print off manual from a pdf but aways nice to there manual)
driver DVD (might be able to get most files from website or from fellow user)
a small package of zip ties, (DIY store)
LCD Poster, (nice to have and I guess if you are getting this board then you are a extrema over clocker so you need this to help get every bit of power out of the board)
3 SATA cables, ( should be able to get any where)
IDE cable, ( should be able to get any where)
Molex to SATA power adapter, ( should be able to get any where)
2 thermal probes, (not sure where to get due to connector type)
flexible SLI bridge, ( should be able to from ebay)
3-Way SLI bridge, ( should be able to from ebay)
Supreme FX X-Fi sound card, (will be missed as no on board sound
2 multi-meter plugs, (any diy store)
a MOSFET cooling fan, (not sure what type of fan this is ebay ?)
backlit I/O shield. (ebay ????????)

yea i got a Asus N4LVM-DH bare board only, then the Biostar board in sig came full retail(from the OB section). its a mixed bag but a good way to get some deals on working mobo's. i dont like having piles of extra stuff i dont use, since they dont include clip based sata cables.

Unlucky here, bought two open box board in the past and both came with nothing but just the board.

yea i got a Asus N4LVM-DH bare board only, then the Biostar board in sig came full retail(from the OB section). its a mixed bag but a good way to get some deals on working mobo's. i dont like having piles of extra stuff i dont use, since they dont include clip based sata cables.

Oh, how I love the clip based SATA cables... They last at least 5 times longer without deforming, in addition to tolerating some slight tugging... I almost think there must be some kind of god that bestowed those divine things upon us :D

i belive it does come with the sound blaster sound card it talks about it in the features i doubt it comes with anything else though, witch it fine for me i had so many randoms connectors/ cables laying around it silly. :p

So I am still looking for a board I saw that the Asus Rampage II GENE is about $200 now and looks pretty nice, only bad thing I saw is that it has a single networkcard would loved to have set up teaming for super fast local network speeds.

But if any one has any other ideas jump in

You dont need anything above a P6T deluxe V2. Don't need SAS. RAID 2 or more SSD's you'll ask what SAS even is.

You don't need any features in a ROG board. just get a good mainstream with good power phasing.

Serial Attached SCSI :p Reason I know that is that I did lots of work with SCSI back in the day and now all the Dell/HP servers I work on use SAS drives. I have a large pile of 10/15k SCSI drives so I was thinking that if I put a nice SCSI card in there and do a raid 0 for my system drive.

The P6T deluxe V2 comes with a high price tag $289.99, the Asus Rampage II GENE comes out to be under $200

As I am not a hard core overclocker and have lot to learn do I need the P6T deluxe V2 and big difference that I am missing out on ?

Back