• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

considering a Peltier unit...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

After seeing that one of our fellow members is selling a Peltier TEC 183 Watt 40x40mm unit (witch I bought spur of the moment - but the price was nothing that would break the bank any way). I was wondering if I could incorporate that in to my current setup??

Now my knowledge of peltiers is limited to the basic concept of how they work....Not so much real wold application.

Is this something I could stick between my Opteron 165 and my SCYTHE NINJA?? Or does a Peltier require a "stronger" cooler (like water cooling - witch in my book would negate the usefulness of the Peltier)

I also realize that if I were to use the Peltier I would need a 2nd PSU for it. I have some that range from 85watt to 350 watt - and the adapter that would allow me to use to PSU's...

well any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

lol im not sure about using one of the other psu's because i think the wires are to thin thats why everyone uses meanwell psu's

and how do you plan on straping the tec to the ninja? lol your making it sound a lot easyer than it is and not only that but you need better cooling than the ninja if you try doing it with that cooler all thats going to happen is that the tec is going to get to hot and instead of cool your cpu its going to make it get hotter

That TEC is going to put out 200w plus the heat of the CPU. Water is the only way to cool that. I never tried to cool a CPU with a TEC, but I used a few, and they dump a ton of heat.

As for mounting, use a bolt through kit with some bolts from a hardware store if you want to test it on the ninja cooler.

Use a peltier that is twice the wattage of your processor for good results. Then you better have a good way to remove all that heat and to provide the extra power. A really good heatsink like the TRUE *MIGHT* be able to handle it. I think I've seen someone use a peltier with that sink and have CPU temps below ambient but I would go with water if you can. IMO the dedicated 12V power supplies are a waste of money. After you have the peltier, special PSU and the cooling gear for the pelt you may as well have bought a single stage phase change cooler. If I were to do a peltier setup on a modern CPU I would use cheap WC gear, used or home made waterblock, heater core for the radiator and a decent pond pump. A TEC uses too much power usually to be on the same power supply as the computer but a spare ATX power supply with enough on the 12V rail should be fine and a lot cheaper. A 183W peltier at 12V should draw about 15 amps so if you have a spare power supply with 20 A or more on the 12V rail you should be able to do it.

some info on power a tec courtesy XS.

KnightElite said:
* Can I just plug my TEC into the computer PSU?
In general, this is not recommended, except for the smallest TECs (80W). The best way to determine if it will work or not is to look at the power supply's rating on the 12V rail, and then check how much current your TEC will draw (look at Imax here). A quick approximation can be made by taking the Imax listed there and calculate as follows:

I = 12V/Vmax * Imax

This will not be 100% accurate, as TECs are non-linear, but it will give you a ballpark figure. If you're using your computer on the same supply, ensure that you have substantially more current available than the TEC will be drawing.
* The best method is still to get a dedicated power supply.
The Meanwell supplies are fairly popular, and can be purchased at various online vendors ( www.cooltechnica.com www.dangerden.com to name a couple). Ebay is a good spot to find relatively cheap supplies as well. When doing this, ensure that the current the supply can source is higher than what the TEC will draw.
* Can I get 24V out of a standard ATX/AT power supply to run my 24V TEC?
24V can be gotten from an ATX or AT supply, but it will probably not work well for a TEC. This is because the supply does have -12V and -5V lines, but they are not rated to handle very much current, so using them to power a TEC would probably burn it out.
However, here are some articles which may be of interest:
http://www.procooling.com/articles/h...ween_psu_s.php
and
http://www.procooling.com/articles/h..._s_as_one_.php

is here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28294

also see http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67927

I'd be pretty surprised if any air cooler on the market could handle the heat.
Keep in mind, if you put 183 watts into something you get 183 watts of heat as a result, in this case of course you have an additional however many watts from the opteron (don't know how many), leaving you needing a cooling system capable of getting rid of 200+ (probably 250+) watts of heat.
Hence most people using water, there are few to no air coolers that can do a good job of that.

Back