• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage: How much is too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

So I have finally been able to boot my E8400 into Windows with 4 modules of memory installed at the stock speed of 3GHz by raising the memory voltage to 2.0v however with only 2GB installed I was able to get 3.6GHz easily.

Should I push my memory voltage even higher? The whole reason I upgraded from my E6600 was to get higher clocks but I don't want to have to downgrade the amount of memory I have in order to do it either.

I would suggest increasing the RAM/FSB ratio higher (5:6, 3:4, etc...). In order of importance for maximum performance:
Max out the processor
Max out the RAM
Lower the RAM timings
Lower the voltages as far as you can while maintaining stability

At a fsb of 333 when the memory is running at 667mhz 2.0v everything is stable. Pushing the fsb to 400 makes my memory run at 800mhz which is it's rated speed but then my PC won't post. You say to max out the processor first but that is the problem - if the bump in memory voltage to 2.0 helped it to run at 333 would an increase to 400 also require more memory voltage? My NB is already at 1.45v

With 4 sticks of ram boost the NB a little bit. The NB controls the ram and with 4 sticks instead of 2 it has more stress on it. Increasing the voltage a little bit makes things more stable.

With 4 sticks of ram boost the NB a little bit. The NB controls the ram and with 4 sticks instead of 2 it has more stress on it. Increasing the voltage a little bit makes things more stable.

It's already been bumped to 1.45 and I have been told on another forum not to go above that, there is only one higher voltage selection for ym board from what I remember.

I've run two different DDR2 sets at 2.15 daily with no problems. Just make sure they don't get too hot.

I will try playing around with it some more this weekend I have one more final exam left then I'm off for the summer :beer:

I'm runnin 1.5v on the NB with 4 sticks of ram. Not 1 single problem here. If your NB gets a tad hot, add a 40mm fan on it to help with temps.

Back