• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Freezing, need it to be stable!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrome-187

OK, my system is freezing randomly, its now to the point to where the computer will only stay on for 2-5 minutes before freezing. Its my second system

which has a MSI neo2-FR. I've put in different sticks of memory and even did it with one stick, computer still freezes. I've takin off my cpu overclock

and put everything at stock, it still freezes. I dont think it would be the video card (8800gts 512mb BFG). The cpu is idle @ 30c and 40c load. The

video card is @ 41c. I"ve came to the conclusion that its either the motherboard or the power supply. I dont think that a hard drive could be causing

this, could it? Please help me, I'm ready to throw this computer out the window. My girlfriend takes online classes and needs this computer to be rock

stable w/out freezing on her when she's doing her quiz's and tests online. If the comp freezes during these times its an automatic FAIL for her quiz's

or tests. I need your guy's help. Is there a better section to post this problem in? Thanks

Which CPU are your running, and using Real Temp--> "Settings" page, what's the Max VID of your chip? Using CPU-Z to view the Vcore while running Prime, how does the voltage compare to the VID... higher, lower, or the same? If it's lower, then compensate by increasing the Vcore in the BIOS until the two voltages match while under load.

What happens when it "freezes"? Are we talking the screen stops and everything, including mouse, is non-responsive? Or the mouse still moves? Or are you getting a BSoD? Or just a lot of apps lock up and start crashing?

you already have ruled out a lot of things... at that point i would start to question the psu, what brand/model? from what you said though chrome, to me it doesnt point to the motherboard. if i were going at this kinda blind from what you said minus the parts replacements. first stop would be testing a different cpu, even though you removed the oc(this prolly isnt possible.). though most likly power supply is starting to go bad, either caps are starting to buldge or they are leaking. more then likly leaking or just bad psu altogether...

thanks guys....as i stated above to most of you, i have removed the o/c. so the cpu would not be the issue...when i say it freezes...i'm talkin about the mouse cursor and everything...sometimes it will even freeze at the post...sometimes it may work the whole day and then the next it won't work at all...it will freeze sometimes right at windows bar screen before the welcome screen...its not the OS, i've reinstalled already...man i was seriously hoping it was not the psu...i have all the freaking wires ziptied to the rails of my case and all....it will suk to have to do that again =/....

i do have another cpu but its on this comp and to be honest, it happens on this computer sometimes too...(corsair 750tx)...the other computer is bad though...it just freezes whenever it wants....it seems that my son playing games on it (gears of war) speeds up the process of the freeze...like i said though its hard to say its when playing games cuz it will freeze at bootup too...

and yes it sometimes freezes at post and or bios

well i would try new psu to rule it out but you dont need to undo everything. just bench it and plug things in what you need for testing. after that only thing else i would think of if not cpu may be ram then. bad settings or ram just dieing, if you have spare ram give that ago first. easiest thing to knock out of the way...

i've already tried a different set of ram...i dont have a different psu..so i'd have to undo everything and send it back to OCZ if to test psu

I have the exact problem. I haven't tried psu yet. Ill switch mine out tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

no fry's or bb near you? i think BB caries a few Antec PSU's...

so are you saying to buy a psu and then take it back if it doesnt fix the problem? i could send the psu back to OCZ, i believe its still under warrenty if its the problem...

so are you saying to buy a psu and then take it back if it doesnt fix the problem? i could send the psu back to OCZ, i believe its still under warrenty if its the problem...

well its better then waiting for the psu to get back. plus we really dont know if the psu is the problem, its just a hunch.

I know it's been said but sound's like the PSU here.

And never liked that pencil mod thing myself, I used to use one of those boards myself and never did it, my wife uses that MOBO in her set-up now with my old Q6600 and a few things :)

Had read it could cause some problems over time, got me.

Last edited:
Back