• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieOC

Registered
I need some simple answers for a Pentium 4 Northwood (multiplier x18.0)socket 478:

1. What is best to increase FSB or CPU Multiplier ( I think FSB as Multipilyer is Locked)
2.Does increasing the FSB increase the CPUs Temprature?
3. Do you have to increse voltages if incresing FSB?
4. Whats the MAX reccomended voltage for this CPU?

A Pentium 4 Northwood 2.6Ghz Stock
I am going to use a MSI - 945GCM478 motherboard- Not got and will take new reccomendations.
I am going to use DDR2 2gb ram - I have got this from before
I am going to use a Zalman CNPS9500A-LED fan for this overclock - Not got yet
I will also use a 500W Arctic cool PSU, i think it will work with my motherboard

I am open to any reccomendations and i just need a few awnsers.

Last edited:
1. Multiplier is locked UP unless you have an EE CPU (which it doesnt look like you have) so you have no choice but to use the FSB to overclock.
2. Yes, but not as much as adding volts.
3. You will get some overclock on stock volts, but when you push it you will need to add volts to a couple items.
4. Not sure.

Get a 965 chipset based mobo
Not sure about that PSU brand. Look in the PSU section for reccomended good brand PSU that are available to your country.

If the CPU and the RAM are the only things you have for this build so far. I would ditch the CPU and reuse the ram, then go with a newer system. You're pretty much buying a whole new system anyways from what I understand.

I just wann a test the Overclocking (im still a child =] cant afford much) and resuse the parts becuse i have it lying around and wanna get some more juice out of them. =]

Back