• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu multiplier is ?working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alaskaroad

Registered
Excuse me if I don't know what I'm talking about but I've never seen this before.

I just bought an Asus p5n73-am and a P4-775 3.4/800/2M on ebay in 2 separate orders. The board is new but the CPU is slightly used. I was setting the BIOS which has a lot of nice oc possibilities but for the first time in my computer "career" this thing shows a CPU multiplier and is NOT grayed out. The number can actually be changed and I have moved it. I set it back where it was though before setting it because I wasn't sure what to do. Could I have possibly gotten an open multiplier intel chip for some odd reason? Or maybe this is not uncommon and even if I can change the number in the bios, it doesn't mean it will actually change?

I am verry curious...... or stupid. :drool:

thanks

You might have an engineering sample chip. They are all over ebay. Try moving the multi and see what happens. It wont hurt anything if you do.:)

Wait. Changing the muti in bios your talking about? Isn't every overclocking board like that. I have seen a board you couldn't do that to in years.

Ive had boards that allow you to change the multiplier even if the chip is locked. It will simply reset itself if your CPU is locked. I would try lowering the multiplier and use CPU-Z to see if your CPU has lowered its clock speed. If you lucky you might have a umlocked chip. Im not sure about the old P4 chips but you might be able to lower the multiplier but not increase it over standard.

The multiplier is often read incorrectly and all Intel chip multis can be moved down or up to their specs. i.e. my Gigabyte board originally booted my E8500 with a multi of 6 and I was able to bump it to 9.5 which is what it should have been at anyway.

yes this was really confusing. i didnt know anyone couldnt change the multi. i dont know if its a dfi thing or not but this has always been an option for me since the ultra-d

Back