• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Striker II Extreme vs P5K-D WiFi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

patrickrc51

Registered
I am pretty new to the Over Clocking scene but I have been sucked in completely now. So I have a P5K-D WiFi and it is kicking my Butt and every bit of info I have recieved has yeilded no progress. One said that the WiFi board gave him troubles. Not sure though. another said using 4 x 1gb sticks is an issue too and 2 x 2gb would be better.

Either way, I been checking out some boards and the Striker II Extreme looked pretty Sick. At least the Board and the numbers do. I was wnating to know if it is worth the upgrade and if I would be able to OC that any easier than my ole P5K-D/WiFi

Thanks,
Patrick

Whats wrong with SLI Boards? Whats the difference? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.
Patrick

Nothing is especially wrong with SLI boards, but SLI is just an overpriced useless gimmick until you have a GTX260-level card and still want more performance. You have a 3850. Not a single reason to get a SLI board.

One other point is the nForce VS Intel chipset debate. Intel CPUs work most stably on Intel chipsets, AMD CPUs work best on AMD chipsets, nForce boards, well, they're for Tri-SLI and... Nothing else.

And as I already mentioned, X48 chipset boards, AFAIK, OC quite much better than any nForce board.

aside from x58, nvidia chipsets generally do not do as well as intel chipset boards. you have a killer board, just ditch those kingstons..

see:

th_10284_1_122_532lo.JPG th_10287_2_122_437lo.JPG th_10288_3_122_356lo.JPG th_10289_4_122_594lo.JPG
th_10295_5_122_8lo.JPG th_10296_6_122_788lo.JPG th_10297_7_122_249lo.JPG
th_10298_8_122_121lo.JPG

edit, i normally run 4:5, the only time i ran 1:1 was when i was running 4x1gb, in this case i was useing 4x1gb gskill hz

Last edited:
I have other reasons I'm looking at upgrading my board. I can only access 4 of my 6 sata connections and I really need to use them. So this is why I am on the hunt for something. Any Ideas would help, I really need a board with WiFi though.

What do you think of this board?
ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX

Patrick

I know the other one wasnt, the water cooling was a hit for me seeing I have a radiator system right now.

Last edited:
i was able to use all 6 of mine with my old 88gtx, but it took some work to get the other 2 heheh. i just flipped my tray upside down to run in reverse atx. i cant comment on the board, id think it would be pretty good since its an asus :D my rampage shares that same chipset, and it rocks pretty good with my ddr2, with ddr3 i think youd be in good shape.

Trust me, My Vid card sits right ontop of 2 of them. I had to use sata cables with the 90deg plug to even get the others to work. I'm sure I could MAKE it work but I rather not damage anything.

I think I might get that board. If you know anyone that has any experence with it see if they can toss me a comment.
Thanks
Pat

I would propably go GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS5, DDR2 isn't that much slower. At least 6 SATA ports very easily reachable, the other 2 will probs need a 90 deg. cable. If you really want DDR3, the Asus is fine.

Do you just prefer the Gig boards over the rest or are there other reasons to choose the Gig.?

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Asus Board... Any Sudjestions on what ddr3 Ram to get?

nothing wrong with the striker2 overclocks like a charm no hassels BUT if you not planning on running sli dont waste your money...from a striker2extreme owner

Back