• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aztroth

as the title says, Im trying to decide which mobo to go with. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new I7 build, and Im just trying to finalize which specific parts Im gonna go with.

Im trying to decide between the following:

EVGA x58 second EVGA x58 (I have no idea what the difference is between the 2, as there is none, that I can readily see.)
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
DFI LP UT X58-T3eH8

all of them look like great boards, but I wanted to ask all of your personal preferences. Im kinda of leaning towards the DFI for the board itself, but I like the fact that I can just run down the street and grab one of the others. Any thoughts or suggestions? Your comments will be taken into strong consideration. I hold the opinions of this forums members in much higher regard than any review sites I might come across. And yes, your statements will most likely determine which one I get, since I may be leaning towards the DFI, but thats a very subtle lean... like maybe a 2 degree variation from vertical type lean.

EDIT: and just to point out, I really dont see any usable benefit of going with the ASUS Rampage II Extreme over any of these others (for myself) that merits the "Extreme" price tag, so even though Im looking for the best (and its all relative), I think im gonna stay with one of these 3 (or 4, if someone can tell me what the $20 difference is between the 2 EVGA boards).

on a side note, this board looks soooo sexeh. especially in this case. im Tempted to spend the extra $100 just because it looks sooo damn good, but then that would be hypocritical of me, so I think I will refrain.

Last edited:
as the title says, Im trying to decide which mobo to go with. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new I7 build, and Im just trying to finalize which specific parts Im gonna go with.

Im trying to decide between the following:

EVGA x58 second EVGA x58 (I have no idea what the difference is between the 2, as there is none, that I can readily see.)
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
DFI LP UT X58-T3eH8

all of them look like great boards, but I wanted to ask all of your personal preferences. Im kinda of leaning towards the DFI for the board itself, but I like the fact that I can just run down the street and grab one of the others. Any thoughts or suggestions? Your comments will be taken into strong consideration. I hold the opinions of this forums members in much higher regard than any review sites I might come across. And yes, your statements will most likely determine which one I get, since I may be leaning towards the DFI, but thats a very subtle lean... like maybe a 2 degree variation from vertical type lean.

EDIT: and just to point out, I really dont see any usable benefit of going with the ASUS Rampage II Extreme over any of these others (for myself) that merits the "Extreme" price tag, so even though Im looking for the best (and its all relative), I think im gonna stay with one of these 3 (or 4, if someone can tell me what the $20 difference is between the 2 EVGA boards).

on a side note, this board looks soooo sexeh. especially in this case. im Tempted to spend the extra $100 just because it looks sooo damn good, but then that would be hypocritical of me, so I think I will refrain.

if you're looking to build now, then I would go DFI X58. I've just finished a wc DFIX58 and I'm very happy with it. Having said that, I've really not pushed it yet as I'm waiting on a couple of parts to arrive. The DFI is a very solid board and great overclocker and with the right set up, will stay nice and cool for you. Just do a search and you'll see a lot of people are using this mobo with great results. I know XS has quite a following with this board.Should you decide to go with DFI, upgrade the bios asap because the boxed bios is not as polished and it doesn't like Crossfire X.
The other option would ofcourse be the EVGA Classified. I wish this was out when I was looking for a new X58. Very sexy board with lots and lots of headroom and beautifully put together. The north bridge gets extermely hot on this though and if you can wait a little longer there is a new version coming out soon without Nvidia's NF200 chip.
So....if you go now=DFI UTX58 if you go later=wait for the non NF200 EVGA X58 Classified 760.

good luck:beer:

k, so if I go with the DFI, does anyone here know how to change the colors of a mobo without ruining it? j/k though the color scheme on the DFI board is butt fugly. I honestly dont care all THAT much about appearances, but if it comes down to choosing between 2 seemingly identical boards, Im gonna go with the better looking one. Im sorry, but for what Im spending on this, it had better look ****ing sick (and for all you smart asses, i mean that in a good way. not vomit green or anything).

so, still leaning towards DFI atm (proof that Im weighing performance before looks)

well from some off posts from people, the EVGA seem to be a bit more hard to get going for ocing that is. DFI and GA boards seem to be doing a bit better then the asus boards. any reason you didnt post any GA boards?

well from some off posts from people, the EVGA seem to be a bit more hard to get going for ocing that is. DFI and GA boards seem to be doing a bit better then the asus boards. any reason you didnt post any GA boards?

honestly, I've just never been a big GigaByte fan... dont know why, I've only ever used 2, and one of those was in a dell, so I know that shouldn't influence my opinion, but I just dont feel comfortable with em. odd I know.

I like the ASUS Bios, and am no stranger to the complexity of the DFI boards. I've used EVGA boards in the past as well (in fact when I joined I believe I was using a 650i ultra from them).

But this is to get your honest opinions, and I believe I asked for suggestions. So I din't post it because I would rather use one of the others from a brand basis, but I am more than willing to consider it. Im not completely closed minded.

then imo you should choose between the asus and dfi... hit up xtremesystems.com and check out some posts/threads...

Never have used a DFI board myself will have to try one out sometimes myself, have always read a lot of good things about em actually other than the dreadful colors hehe.

But I have used Gigabytes a lot in the past, EVGA's, and Asus, and personally I've become a bit of a Asus convert myself even if they are a bit pricier.

I'm just not an EVGA fan these days, but what ever floats your boat my wife uses my old EVGA780i these days for the web hehe.

Any board that uses the fact the socket is black anodized and the words E-LEET as selling points I'm gonna be a bit stand offish from :)

I guess is NVidia I'd strayed away from them anyways I guess.

agreed, I dont need anything with nvidia, since Im gonna be running xFire, BUT this board seems to perform well, and it looks sweet. i just dont know if the color scheme is worth the extra $100 when I could easily just go with the vanilla version, or another brand.

Like I said, Im looking for opinions, and am not closed minded to other brands. as listed in my first post, those still seem to be the forerunners for choices for me.

The difference between the two EVGA X58 Vanilla boards is that one comes with a lifetime warranty + step up to Classified option, and the other doesn't.

I would go with the EVGA Vanilla of those three. I own the Classified and it's a sweet board. But the reason why I suggest EVGA first and foremost is because their support is phenomenal. The forums and mods there are active. If you have any issues, you won't be stuck for help. The EVGA X58 boards are known for getting very good clocks with the i7. It's not a perfect board (is there one?), but it's a good choice.

So I would maybe go with the Vanilla X58 board of those three. I haven't used any of the other boards mentioned so I can't really comment on them so I'm obviously biased.

Back