• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Classified to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wanderlai

Registered
I received my i7 920 DO a few days ago. Now I just need a gpu, mobo, and an air cooling option. I'm going with the new evga gtx 285 FTW, with plans on getting another 285 or waiting until the 300's come out. I plan on only doing SLI.

Should I get the 759 Classified or the 760 Classified w/o the nf200 chip?

I'm debating the TRUE Black and the Prolimatech Megahalem. I know everyone says to lap the TRUE but does the Meghalem need lapping?

The classified mobos are more for people that want to to tri-sli or extreme cooling/overclocking. If you are just going to do sli and air or water cooling I would save some money and go with the "vanilla" X58 Sli. That alone will give you almost half the money you need for a second 285.

If you still want to go with the classified. There haven't been any direct comparisons between the two boards thus far. Right now the consensus is that the 759 will allow "true" tri-sli and the 760 won't. Also, it is speculated that the 760 will have lower NB temps due to the lack of the NF200 chip.

Also, don't forget about the step-up option. You could always buy the A1 version of the "vanilla" board and in 3 months step-up to the classified (at this time you can only step-up to the 759) for an additional ~$150. This way you get to see if the vanilla board works for you and if it doesn't it will only cost you a few extra dollars to upgrade.

Last edited:
If your staying air please don't buy a Mobo with uber capacitors and other fun stuff for overclocking. Buy a well known proven Mobo that will overclock well. You'll hit temp issues way before you reach the capabilities of the top $$ boards.

And yea Alchemy1 is right too.

If you're only planning on going Two-way SLI there's little point in getting the NForce 200 Chip as its purpose is to theoretically give you x16 lanes in three PCI-E slots, which would be useful in a Three-way SLI configuration. So I would get the Classified without the NForce 200 chip.

And please don't let anyone persuade you to not buy a Classified just because you're going AIR COOLING. There's plenty of Classified owners who are doing quite well using AIR cooled CPU setups. I am not one of them, but just go to the EVGA forums and you'll see.

Back