• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400 = 90°C on a P5B-Deluxe.. HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

looprix

I just installed my a new e8400 (OE) on my P5B-deluxe, when Windows XP booted the e8400 was at 55°c. After I loaded Unreal Editor 3, XSI, and PS the temp is up to 90°C! The "jumper free configuration" is set to Standard and the RAM to auto. So the CPU is running at the standard 3ghz and I have 2g Kingston HyperX 8500. The stock cooler is perfectly secured to the board and the airflow is fine. Also I have BIOS 1238.

Anyone one know good settings for manually setting up the BIOS?

Thanks!

I re-mounted but same problem.

Vcore is 1.51
What is a VID? ...I'm a noob

Thanks

Like MARCI mentioned, the CPU temp. is so high because the Vcore is way too high at over 1.5v. VID is the Voltage ID of your particular chip, which can be read by using a program like RealTemp--> 'Settings' page--> Core VID Max...

Real Temp 3.00
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1325/Real_Temp_3.00.html

Lower the Vcore to the same value as the Max VID. So if the VID is 1.20v, then manually adjust the Vcore in the BIOS until the voltage as read by CPU-Z is the same as the VID... this while running Prime or SuperPI (basically any program that loads both cores to 100%).

VID= Voltage in Die. It's the voltage that was required for samples pulled from the silicon that produced your chip to reach operating freqs. IE some batches of e8400 had VID specs that were around 1.13 or so, some were as high as 1.23 ish..

It's an indicator of voltageyour chip may require to operate at spec..

I set the OC to "standard" and for some reason it was bumped to 1.5v. Now I have it set to "Auto" and the e8400 runs at 3ghz at 40c and 53c load. I would like to push it further than 3ghz; anyone one have a snap shot of thier BIOS? (e8400, p5b-deluxe, 2 dimm)

Take the Vcore off AUTO, and set it manually to match the VID of your chip. And include your system spec's in detail, including a direct link to your RAM. You can also use this BIOS template for the P5B-D to post all of your current settings (disregard my settings, and replace with your own)...

Code:
AI Tuning: Manual
CPU Frequency:
DRAM Frequency:
PCI Express Frequency:
PCI Clock Synchronization Mode:
Spread Spectrum:
Memory Voltage:
CPU Vcore Voltage:
FSB Termination Voltage:
NB Vcore:
SB Vcore (SATA/PCIE):