• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My P5Q + Q9550 OC settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boulard83

Here are pics from my Bios
Bios_fsb_mem.JPG

Didnt had to play with GTL and SKEW yet.
Bios_volts.JPG

Im still working on this OC. Like lots of OCer ... we alwais want more !

My best Stable enough for a 3dmark06 is 4.08 @ 1.275vcore. Still very low ! Didnt work on higher. My main goal is to keep my mem timing 4-4-4-12 while raising the FSB as far as i can. i think i might reach 3.8. This G-Skill Pi-Black ram seems to OC well.

2009-05-05 12h32 : FSB 440 with the Same Vcore and others.

Asked by ibitato : Speed VS timing for memory TESTED with Sandra

@880mhz 4-4-4-12 ( 1.94 volts maybe lower is possible, didnt tryed yet .. )

Latency ................ : 82ns
Bandwith ............... : 8.18gb/s
Cache/Mem bandwith : 54.2gb/s

@1047mhz 5-5-5-18 ( 2.06v is the lowest stable for this speed and im happy that my ram can run CAS-5 @ 1047mhz ! )

Latency ................ : 76ns
Bandwith ............... : 8.64gb/s
Cache/Mem bandwith : 55.39gb/s

Conclusion : Running my ram @ 1047mhz just dont worth it. 10% VS 30% OC for only 6ns and .46gb/s ... yes its some improvement but i prefer running my Ram @ 880 with lower V.

My opinion : OCing for me mean Pushing as high as i can with the most decent possible V on parts. 1.2vcore for 3.74ghz is nice and 10% oc on my ram with still only .04v over the 1.9 rated is nice too. My goal is to add speed without adding Volts. Ill go as far as i can on those V. I know it can run faster... this OC is for 24/7 use.

Last edited:
My main goal is to keep my mem timing 4-4-4-12 while raising the FSB as far as i can.

Why would you want to do that ?
You are limiting your memory badnwith while increasing CPU performance a lot. You are at 873 MHz.
Keeping low CAS at this set up , will not pay off for you , overall.
General performance will be affected by the fact you keep your memory bandwith too low.
To 450 FSB I would recommned to run your RAM at 1080 MHz, 5-5-5-15.
this will give you a 4:5 ratio, being the mem still faster than the CPU, and a better overlall performance ...

Running 1:1 on mem (sync) its ok to test OC and raise FSB, but then you need to improve on overall performance. Loosing times on RAM and going up to 1080 MHz is going to give you a little extra boost.....

But, nothing like benching, to mark this words...... get sandra for ex, and test mem performance in both situations, and then do a bench in the overall......

Last edited:
Ill try and leave feedback about it.

ALLL the reviews about TIMING VS SPEED ive read show that the overall performance of tight timing with lower speed and speed with loose timing give nearly the same performance.

But ill try for sure ;).

Yep, that's why you need to becnh those settings.
My RAM its really good. Might be ppl that for 1080 need to tun 6 6 6 18 or something, so you know,........
My specs are 4 4 4 12 800MHZ stock. 5 5 5 15 1080 MHz is a good bump in mem bandwith w/o loosing to much timing :)

Now
4G Pi-Black @ 872 4-4-4-12 ................ / 5-5-5-18 @ 960mhz
thing to consider.
try running those first at 1080 6-6-6-18 (to make sure you can) and then
1080 5-5-5-18

/edit
Like I said, it also depends on the RAM, i am running 8GIGS or RAM, 4 sticks,..........
I needed more volts on NB to achieve this OC

Last edited:
Conclusion : Running my ram @ 1047mhz just dont worth it. 10% VS 30% OC for only 6ns and .46gb/s ... yes its some improvement but i prefer running my Ram @ 880 with lower V.

My opinion : OCing for me mean Pushing as high as i can with the most decent possible V on parts. 1.2vcore for 3.74ghz is nice and 10% oc on my ram with still only .04v over the 1.9 rated is nice too. My goal is to add speed without adding Volts. Ill go as far as i can on those V. I know it can run faster... this OC is for 24/7 use.

/agree.
If you are happy with it we all are happy with it :)

In my case, the differences where most noticeable.

My RAM, are 2.0 to 2.2 so for my OC I am in safe spot.

Happy OCing !!!!

This ram can take it. It have nice heat spreader.

As you told, Im happy with this OC atm ;) I can throw any games at it and it LOVE it !

.5gbs / 8.18gbs = 6%

6% increase on the Memory yeld ... 1% frame rate ? .... still not worth it for the .12 vDRAM increase.

Im stable @ 3.74ghz my Goal is the reach 4.0ghz (471x8.5= 4003.5 and 942 mhz memory) for my 24/7 use. Its already done but with rapid tweeking and high V to run a 3dmark06 ... I have this P5Q since only 1 month. Im still on the learning of what she need to Oc nice and cool ;).

Last edited:
Back