• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin ddr3 1600 Redline Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grieg

Hello,

I went through my BIOS yesterday prepairing to OC my rig. I've run it for a week watching for leaks in the WC loop, checking for system stability, etc.

So... here's my system specs:
CPU: Intel i7 920
Mobo: Foxconn Bloodrage
Ram: Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600 (6-7-6-18 1.65v)
HDD: Two Intel x25-m SSDs in RAID0
etc...

I go through the BIOS and see that the Mushkin RAM I'm running is already running the XMP profile and the settings were 6-7-6-18, but the voltage was 1.85v. I kinda freaked and disabled the XMP, manually set the v down to 1.60 with all settings on auto. Now the memory clocks in at 8-8-8-24.

- Do you think any long term damage could have been done to the i7?
- Does anyone know why it would volt to 1.85? From everything I've read, that's very excessive. :confused:
- Anyone have any experience OC'ing this RAM?

I haven't gone through the process of OC'ing the CPU / RAM, but it looks like I'll be doing everything in small steps, testing as I go. I don't know if any damage was done, or if it even mattered. Its my first i7 OC, but not my first Intel OC.

Anyway, any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Any input? System seems fine, but I'm worried about 1.85v

What is the max voltage on the i7? I think 1.65, right? At that voltage, does the .5 difference still apply to ram - aka, is 1.85 safe?

I believe it is within .5V is safe, 1.65V I believe is for when running at stock volts (1.15V is around stock I think which is .5 from 1.65)

first off, was there actual evidence it was running 1.85v aside from what the BIOS was being reported as being set for vDIMM. you may not have even been running that high. i have found a couple kits do weird things when on the XMP profiles and one of them was say vDIMM was set to 1.75 when it was really just set to 1.65v. might be what happened to you.

with that said, even if it was running at 1.85v, the CPU should be fine. running more than 1.65v has alwasy been a guideline with plenty of guys - myself included - having run over 1.8v for extended periods of time. i frequently bench certain memory up over 2v when benching. unless you are getting random weird stuff that simply can't be attributed to other factors (unstable overclock etc..) i wouldn't worry about it.

as for the memory, i just got a kit of this Mushkin yesterday and am quite impressed with it. runs 880MHz 6-7-6 at 1.65v completely stable, the stock 800MHz 6-7-6 is stability testing right now at 1.50v with no problems so far. i have also done some 1000MHz 7-8-7 1.75v single 32M runs and the kit seems to run 8-8-8 1000MHz at 1.65v pretty stable...i need to switch to my stronger CPU as the one i am using won't let me stability test at 1000MHz (weak IMC).

of course, my results are just from one kit so its hard to say how they do on average. oh, and i am running the EVGA Classified FWIW.

Got a problem,need help

Hey all,im kinda new to Overclocking, just got my Foxconn Bloodrage mobo, i7 2.66 ghz and muskin ddr3 1600 6-7-6-18 1.65v. I got to bios and it shows im running at 1066 on memory speed, i enable xmp and then save after that it goes to boot and wont. What do I need to start or do to get it to run at the factory speed that mushkin set and still boot the os(vista ult 64). when it gets done trying to boot it returns to post again(get the bloodrage loge,etc-hit del now kinda thing) I never overclocked before ,gotta start at somepoint,lol. Thank you for any help guys

Here are my current settings on the BloodRage GTI for:

20x200=4000MHz CPU / 10x200=2000MHz DRAM 9-9-9-24 1T:

Code:
[B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"]CPU[/COLOR][/U][/B]
PPM - Disabled
EIST - Disabled
CxE - Disabled
Execute Disable Bit - Disabled
Virtualization - Disabled
Hyper Threading - Enabled (Doesn't need to be on but I'm a Folder)
Active Processors  - All

[B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Memory[/COLOR][/U][/B]
IMC Config - Enabled
Channel Config - Independat
Channel Interleave - 6 Way
Rank Interleave - 4 Way
XMP Enabled - Enabled
Memory Profile Select - Auto
DTC - Manual

[B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Voltages[/COLOR][/U][/B]
CPU Voltage (Core) - +110mv
CPU Vdroop Control - Enabled
CPU VTT Voltage (Uncore) - +200Mv (You will likely not need this much, but may need to bump up a few notches until stable)
1.8V PLL - 1.898v
CPU Clock Amplitude Control - .800v
DRAM - 1.65v  (have been as high as 1.85v, but my Uncore Voltage is also pretty high so high vdimm is not a big issue.)
Chipset - All bumped up 1 or 2 notches.

[B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"]CCC[/COLOR][/U][/B]
CPU BClock -200MHz
QPI Link FM - Enabled
QPI Multi - Auto
CPU Multi - x20
CPU Uncore Multi - x20
Memory Bus Multi - x10
Skews = Default at 0ps

I kinda would like to do my 1st over clock a little more mild,but i guess if i did 3.0 or 4.0 its still the same as in they both will in some sort of way shorten life of cpu? I do some online gaming ,so mite try your stats after i get this thing changed to liquid cooling. Kinda still afraid of overclocking as spent alot on the system and all the stuff they say ,but not sure if its all hype.

Back