• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MIT CPU Freq does not match Core Temp Freq

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kirkoc1

I have a gigabyte ga-ep35-ds3r motherboard. I have a Q6600 Stepping B Rev G0 Kentsfield CPU. I have set my CPU Clock Ratio to 9x and CPU Host Frequency to 400 and my CPU Voltage to 1.425. The CPU Frequency reports to be 3.6 GHz (400*9). I save the settings and the system powers off. The system then powers on only once and Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate is loaded. I start CPU-Z 1.46 and it reports 2400.0 MHZ with a 9 multiplier. I start Core Temp 0.99.4 it reports 2400.0 MHz with a Frequency of 266.6 and multiplier of 9.

I power down the system and I change the CPU Clock Ratio to 8x and the CPU Frequency reports 3.20 GHz. I save the settings and the system powers off. The system then powers on only once and once OS is running I start CPU-Z and it reports 2133.3 MHz with a multiplier of 8. I start Core Temp and it reports the same 2133.3 with a multiplier of 8.

I went through the same process and changed the CPU Host Freq to 360 and the CPU Frequency reports 2.88 GHz. When the system came up on the first power on both tools report 2133.3 MHz with a multiplier of 8.

I am at a loss as to why I can change this in the bios and save it and the system does boot and the multiplier changes but not the frequency.

On power up the post screen goes by faster than I can get the bios version numbers. It is an award bios.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirk

My apologies for not mentioning that in my first post. I did run Prim95 v25.6 build 6 and there was no change in the frequency number.

Thanks,

Kirk

For a smaller step I set my CPU Clock Ratio to 9. I set CPU Host Freq to 289. The reported Frequency is now at 2.6 Ghz. This is in the bios window. The PCI express Freq is set to 100. My North Bridge is set to normal. My speedstep is disabled. I have left my CPU Volatage at 1.40

The system does not double boot when I save this and when I go back into the bios the settings are where I left them the last time I changed them so as far as I know the system is not going back to a default in bios.

With Prime95 v25.6 running both Core Temp and CPU-Z report Frequency of 2400.00 MHz (266.67 * 9)

Thanks,

Kirk

I am not following you on your last post. My bios shows my frequency at 2.6 GHz and the tools show the frequency at 2.4 Ghz. Are you saying that I should adjust the north bridge voltage and see if I can get the tools to match the bios?

Thanks,

Kirk

Aargh. I misread. Thought it was working correctly this time.

Tough nut to crack. I would propably RMA or first flash the BIOS to the latest version (can't hurt, if it doesn't fail), sounds like you're doing everything the exact way it's supposed to be done, but it still fails.

I flashed the BIOS it was at F2 and now it is at F4a. I was able to change the frequencies and the tools reported the same. When I go past 2.8Ghz I start getting blue screen. I have not been able to catch the wording on the blue screen. Is this were I need to change the north bridge voltage and if so by how much? In addition I went back to the stock settings running at 2.4Ghz and execute Prime95 just to make sure all is well and I noticed that my Core Temps as reported by Core Temp 0.99.4 are 67, 67,57,55 is this high for stock speed? I have a Zalman CNPS9700 cooler on the CPU. Thanks for your time and help.

Kirk

Those temps are pretty high, but with CNPS9700 you can't except much more. Get a real aftermarket HSF if you want to get past that 2.8-3.0. Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer should do, doens't cost all that much either.

When it BSODed, was your CPU voltage at stock or?

I did some more testing and I did not change my SPD for the memory and I think that is why I blue screened. I have been able to hold 3.0 Ghz with cores are at 70. I will look into another cooler. Thank you for your help. Kirk

Back