• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rampage formula north bridge heatsink mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ekko

I figured with all the heat issues I have been having
I needed to do smething big like this to fix it
As stated before my north bridge ran at 55c
Which is totaly unacceptable even overcoocked
For my standards anyway
I took out the heat sink cleaned it up
Put some at tic silver 5 on there
Reattached them then added the corsair dominator ram cooler on top
Now my north bridge runs at 30c and it looks 100% custom LOL
I'll post some pics later of it
It looks amazing
It was a tight fit underneeth the tuniq tower CPU cooler
I even lost 4c off the CPU heat
I'm totaly happy with this now

The idea came to me when I was foolin around trying to fit that corsair air cooler on my kenisgton hyperx ram which would have to be nodded to work properly anyway because it sits about inch and half off the ram
Then I was lookin a the north bridge and I thought hummm this looks like it mite fit
And it worked SWEET
Anyway I'll get to the pics tomorrow
If anyone is interested this is an amazing way to cool your north bridge so u can volt the crap out of it
138r.jpg
139l.jpg

Last edited:
Hello
I basically did the same
I basically screwed 2 cpu small fans (from old cpu heatsicks) to the NB heatsick.
thy both run at +/- 5000rpm and works like a champ
BTW, what volts you run on your NB????

I use the stock CPU level up to 3 ghz
I don't need more than that for daily use
I had it at 3.9 with massive 1.5 on the CPU
I don't rembrr what I had on the hb before but it was a lot LOL
Let me
Look it up

dude, if y have on the rampage formula your NB voltage auto, its overvolting like S++T!!!!!
It takes it to 1.61 :eek:

I have 4 sticks of ram.
In stock, i run it at 1.31, very low temps
In my OC (see signature), I run it at 1.50v; due to my 4 sticks of ram and the OCing on it......
I am pretty sure you can run 1.31v in BIOS or 1.34v no prob. this will take your temps even lower
/edit: the NB I mean.......

yes I know the n b
When I had it clocked at 3.9 for benching
It was in the red like 1.9 I think
I'll try that out
I had put it on auto because I wanted something quick LOL
I really dissent have time to geek with it LOL
I'm doin that today
30c was at 1.9 v I believe or 1.8

Anything beyond 1.61 will kill your chip FAST.
give it a try, I did spent lost of time in this mobo, I know it very well..... :)
if y need something, let me know :)

if i understand it right u need to up the voltage big time on the p35 to achieve 4ghz...
the same is for this chipset..
you need at least 1.8v on the north bridge to achieve high clocks like that.

if i understand it right u need to up the voltage big time on the p35 to achieve 4ghz...
the same is for this chipset..
you need at least 1.8v on the north bridge to achieve high clocks like that.

if you can keep your NB under 70c you can give it a try.
For 4GHz you might go that high (I personally think its not neccesary)
For a more moderate OC like 3.6 , 3.8 1.51v should be enough

Hmm I have another small fan on my NB at the moment but forgot about those Corsair fans, that looks to fit in there nicely. I have one laying around, might have to try that out looks like it fits in there pretty well.

Running my NB at 1.73 atm, but I keep an eye on it its running around 65C even stressing it on Prime95 on any of the tests. Need extra whenever you're running 8G ram at any rate.

*edit* Hmm looked so good I had to try it out if looks better than what I was doing. Maybe the other one moved a lot of air there have to see :)

Might have an idea or two additionally if I leave it in there, if it looks better after a few tests :)

Good idea :beer:

*edit* Guess I have to mess around a bit more, not sure it that bar isn't actually restricting air a bit, but spreads it out more and might have actually helped my CPU out a degree or two. Might have to move it in a bit more too, hehe. guess its just sitting up there on top of my Prelude atm, the nice little rubber trim pieces made me a bit more comfortable sticking it up there.

Last edited:
I'm glad you guys like it
I do think this way the sink covers diffrent areas
In one way I do also this running the right size fan with out restriction is important also
I'm nearly convinced 2 fans that fit in there perfectly maybe 70mm with a high rate of flow would
Be better
Than again I'm going to try 18v and not 12 to see how overspin will work on this LOL
If you can post the bios spect for 3.8 or 3.7
Stable that would be apreceated also
I like to compare
And yes 3.7 should require some where around 1.7 and on my
CPU orb 1.45 was the settings on my p5k d

Let me ask you: did you cover up the back of the soundcard or covered up the bottom edge of that ram cooler with some sort of tape?

The ram cooler is made of metal and I see it's close to making contact with the soundcard by laying on it that way in the pic. I don't know about you, but that's a recipe for disaster. You'll surely fry that soundcard if that metal makes contact.

yes i know..its kind of angled so it appears like that..its not like that really..in fact theres a good amount of space in between there..
its just the angle..garbage camera too...lol..
i think im going ot tear off the has and grind the crap out of it ..make it completely flat
because now its rounded and its like not flush at all ..
i think the best thing would be for it to have direct contact with the hs and its be perfectly flush..so ill prob grind like crazy on it..
does anyone know what the perfect size fan that would sit on there is ? i know 80mm is to big... its over sized its gota be like 40 or 30 ..
i dont know im going to order some daytons and see how i like them on there..i feel it could be cooled even better ny those guys...
i think i seen before some scythe or dayton that was like 40mm by 76 LOL or something..this suckers were thick fans..blow massive air...

If you give me time, Ill take a pic of what I have and also tell you the size , etc
That would be 5 hours from now, first I have to get rid of work and familiy......

its 40mm im sure lol
okay man take ur time..
i just put in a big newegg order and got rainbow six vegas 2 free LOL yay and +1 for free sht lol

its 40mm im sure lol
okay man take ur time..
i just put in a big newegg order and got rainbow six vegas 2 free LOL yay and +1 for free sht lol

I have that game installed waiting for me .. :)
I really liked the first one, I installed 2 time ago, but I hadn't give it a chance.........

I have always been a rainbow six fan
I started of gameing with ravenshield
Which is still a badass game
I played vegas briefly
The recoil was terrible but over all kickass game
Did ya make it home yet???

Let me ask you: did you cover up the back of the soundcard or covered up the bottom edge of that ram cooler with some sort of tape?

The ram cooler is made of metal and I see it's close to making contact with the soundcard by laying on it that way in the pic. I don't know about you, but that's a recipe for disaster. You'll surely fry that soundcard if that metal makes contact.

I was a little nervous just laying mine on the soundcard myself think Ill put a little more space in there this weekend, but the ram coolers have plastic sides so the metal doesn't lay on the board directly. It's still pertty close for the aluminum to lay it on there and be comfortable though.

I am going to put a bit more insurance on that side though, its not a real thick trim piece :eek:

I was actually thinking a couple pieces of regular quarter inch foam on each side and it would probably produce a very slight wedge between the sound card and the bottom of the CPU cooler and almost float midway in there about perfect.

Last edited:
interesting idea..
or you could do like me, and mod the stock clamp ends that are suppose to clamp on the ram,
by grinding them down so they fit in the heat sink properly and sturdy ..
theres 2 ways to do things..
theres that one way
and then theres the right way..lol..
nice bit with the foam...

Actually, I got to looking around and had three large rubber o-rings that are about .188 dia and they wrap all the way around the exterior of the case and wedge in between the sound card and the cpu fan just about perfectly with only a slight bit of pressure.

Think I'm just going to leave it like that for the moment anyway :beer:

*edit* well part of the reason I didn't want to get too solid was I wanted to test it some more too. After a short period of Prime95 on blend Id get up to 71C pretty fast on the NB and the comp reboots:eek:

Still an interesting idea, but with the 1200 case I all ready have a 120MM blowing half on it from the side of the case. And have a 60MM at a 45 degree angle I put back in there wire tied from my front ram bank HPC and the bottom front corner of the cpu fan and sits on top of the tail end of my vid card about perfect. And it cools the ram off a little on the areas the cpu fan doesn't pull over the HPC's .

Seems to keep me about 5 to 6C cooler than the corsair ram block, I think it blocks more air than it moves in my situation at least.

Oh well, I gave it a shot :)

Last edited:
I have always been a rainbow six fan
I started of gameing with ravenshield
Which is still a badass game
I played vegas briefly
The recoil was terrible but over all kickass game
Did ya make it home yet???

sorry ekko, I just got divorced, well .....
2 days ago.
Hard times
didn't have time to take the pics , will do today

Back