• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Review: DFI Lan Party Jr. X58 T3H6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
DFI Lanparty JR X58 T3H6 Review

Introduction​

DFI (Diamond Flower International) has long been at the forefront of enthusiast Motherboards. With the advent of the X58 chipset, DFI wasted little time in bringing their UT, DK, and JR offerrings to market. Today, the JR mATX version of DFI's X58 offerrings will be examined and reviewed. Can a mATX Motherboard really be considered an enthusiast product? How many features can be packed in to this small form factor? These questions and more will be answered during this review!

Long story short:

Pros:
  • Bundled Acceories
  • Bundled Software (ABS)
  • Preloaded BIOS Overclock Settings
  • Ease of Overclocking
  • Full Featured BIOS
  • SLI and Crossfire Support
Cons:
  • PWM Heatsink Inadequate
  • Northbridge Thermal Adhesive Over Applied
  • Southbridge Gets Hot to the Point of Needing a Fan
  • Price Rivals Full ATX Boards
  • No Onboard Firewire
  • ITE Monitoring Software May Need Recalibrating
Score:
9/10
Click here to read the full review!

Why does every motherboard I see have improperly mounted PWM heatsinks? On one end, there is barely an imprint, the other, nothing...

That's a darn good question. What's really ironic is, unlike most, DFI even bolts theirs down!

Yep, it was an obvious oversight, first thing I noticed when I removed the heatsink assembly. Not sure what can be done about it either seeing how its already bolted down. I guess it would need to be lapped. The problem with lapping it though is that the section that covers the NB would have to be shaved an equal amount or you could end up with even a worse problem.....LOL

From what I can tell, it seems like the heatpipe is pulling it up on one end (when they fill it maybe?) and it pulls it off the components.

Yep, it was an obvious oversight, first thing I noticed when I removed the heatsink assembly. Not sure what can be done about it either seeing how its already bolted down. I guess it would need to be lapped. The problem with lapping it though is that the section that covers the NB would have to be shaved an equal amount or you could end up with even a worse problem.....LOL
The esteemed writer of this great review everyone. :clap:

1 question and you would have needed to have/had a multimeter.

How accurate was your vCore voltage on this board compared to what is set in the bios? You can pm me the info if you have it.

I have the DK and speaking with a good number of other DK/JR users(yes there are a few of us) we have noticed something consistently. I would appreciate if you could provide a listing of all voltages(easy test probe spot on the boards, a selling point for me) but priority is on vCore followed by vtt and to a lesser extent vDimm.

Thanks in advance.

From what I can tell, it seems like the heatpipe is pulling it up on one end (when they fill it maybe?) and it pulls it off the components.

Even worse and the same with my review of its bigger brother. THe mounting holes are now diagonal instead of horizontal. In other words those whom had thier pwm water blocks installed would have to change them. This is a pain in the rear as before the same northbridge and the same PWM block fitted on ALL DK series right from the P35 DK to the P45 to X48. In my review (to be shown soon) I have noted this. To make matters worse there ISNT a PWM block out there for DFI with the diagonal holes, I have checked with EK and MIPS. CHecked specialtech even with Pascal at Aquatuning.de The only block for the DFI X58 is for the UT which DOES have horizontal holes.

gilgamesh

1 question and you would have needed to have/had a multimeter.

How accurate was your vCore voltage on this board compared to what is set in the bios? You can pm me the info if you have it.

I have the DK and speaking with a good number of other DK/JR users(yes there are a few of us) we have noticed something consistently. I would appreciate if you could provide a listing of all voltages(easy test probe spot on the boards, a selling point for me) but priority is on vCore followed by vtt and to a lesser extent vDimm.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry, missed this. Highly doubt Lv will want to go prodding for read points with his meter. This is now his main test system and it wouldn't go over well if he had a probe touch the wrong thing accidentally. :eek:

I will however be more than happy to set the voltages in BIOS and give you what they read in BIOS system health after a reboot, and what they show at the desktop using any monitor program of your choice.

With these mATX X58 boards, I wonder if you can mount a TRUE with a pair of 120x38mm fans in a push/pull config? My RAM has really tall heatspreaders, and on the UD4P they don't allow enough clearance for the "push" fan :( And that's with using the 2nd, 4th, and 6th DIMM slots.

Back