• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why can't I OC like everyone else (P5Q & Q8200)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bosango

This is my first journey onto OC land, but I thought I was well prepared. I read everything I could on the internet, especially about my setup. But, whenever I try to OC, my system hangs and tells me that my OC attempt failed miserably.:bang head Here's what I have:

ASUS P5Q Pro
Intel Q8200 (C2Q - 2.3 GHz)
4 GB Corsair DDR2 1066 MHz
Thermaltake Purepower 500W
a big Zalman cooler

As per recommendations, I'm trying to OC to 3.0 GHz with these settings (default or auto if not listed):

FSB freq: 428
PCIE freq: 100
DRAM freq: DDR2 1073
DRAM timing: 5-5-5-15
Vcpu: 1.26
Vppl: 1.50
Vfsb-term: 1.2
V dram: 1.98
Vnb: 1.12
Vsb: 1.1
CPU margin enhance: optimized

CPU ratio: auto
C1E support: off
Max CPUID: off
CPU TM: on
Execute disable: on
SpeedStep: off
Memory remap: on

I also tried to OC with the lame AI Suite tool, but that didn't take either, even when I tried for a very small boost.

I appear to be missing some sort of crucial step. I realize this is probably pretty basic stuff for you lot, but it's frustrating the crap out of me. So, can anyone offer up some useful suggestions so I can complete my first OC and then get down to becoming obsessive about it and trying to squeeze out every possible megahertz?

Thanks all.

My suggestion is to start with a lower bus speed, something like 350 MHz, and increase the bus speed by 5 MHz after you find you can boot into your operating system, then try booting again. Keep clocking up in small increments until you start to hit that wall where its failing to boot, then increase the CPU vcore by one increment and try booting again. Keep an eye on your RAM speed as well, as it will change when you adjust the bus speed. I recommend changing the memory ratio to one that underclocks your RAM, to rule out the RAM as being the limiting factor.

As you go through this process you'll notice when the chip begins to behave as if it needs more voltage. Of course don't go too high with the vcore, I've read 1.4v is the suggested maximum if you want your chip to last a reasonable amount of time. Your motherboard has one of the best (if not the best) chipsets for overclocking 45nm Core 2 Quads, I doubt you'll need to tinker with any motherboard or chipset voltages to achieve your desired overclock. My guess is it is the chip that is holding you back right now, probably needs more vcore.

Have you read this thread? It's a long read, but it is the best Core 2 Quad overclocking guide I have seen on the net.

Good luck, and :welcome: to OCF. :thup:

Thanks, man! I guess maybe plugging in someone else's settings all at once might not be the way to go after all. I'll definitely chill out a bit and take it step by step this time around. I did read the guide you referred to and it was very helpful indeed. Crazy how much info is out there. Oh, and my inexperiences aside, I really like that mobo - it seems to do everything you want, and easily, too.

Cheers.

If you want to maximize your overclock, and make it a little easier on yourself, I would recommend flashing to one of Ket's modded BIOS. The latest BIOS for the P5Q Pro can be downloaded here.

After flashing that, try upping your NB voltage to 1.3v, and your FSB VTT to 1.28v.

Also try setting the CPU margin enhance to "performance".

Back