• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 - Gigabyte EP45-UD3P trying for 3.4-3.6ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tsnowflake

I had my Q6600 at 3Ghz forever, but now that I have a new heat sink I want to take it further. (<3 my new TRUE)

system:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Q6600
G.skill 4GB DDR2 800 clocked at 1066 (passed a 12+ hr memtest)

my current settings are:
3.2Ghz (8x400)

Vcore 1.375
Mch Core 1.3

currently running prime95, been stable for ~4 hours (small FFT)

screenshot:
oc32400x81.jpg

temps seem fine

so if this is stable, where do I go from here?

Last edited:
Personally, I'd put your memory back to a 1:1 and then start upping the FSB. I usually do an 30mins-1hour of small fft prime to do a quick stability check. If it passes that, I keep going up till it fails, then back off.

What BIOS are you running? I know F4 was the best for quads for the longest time. You might be able to get 3.2GHz with less voltage using it, which would also likely result in lower temps.

Not knowing what your base system settings are or if they are set on auto, will make it hard to advise you.

Like the above poster said, run a 1:1 ratio. Keep in mind while doing so that you may need to up your DRAM voltages a little.

Also something I experienced that was very hard to understand/find was to keep track of your northbridge voltages. Find a program that shows you what it is set to when it is on auto. Everest is a good candidate.

I see your using 800 FSB and 8 multi. I use a 8X412 for a 3.304. I can run my Chip @ 3.6 stable, but the voltages/temps are quite toasty, and I have yet to order my good cooler.

At 3.6 my multi is 9X400 and 1.48ish Volts. Temps with my current cooling goes to high 70s for Blend Test, and a little higher for small FFT. My NB Volts are at 1.38V (keep this in mind because it was what was causing me the most frustration).

As long as you have a good board/cooling and patience, you should be able to get a stable clock of 3.4-3.6. Following a guide is very helpful and so is keeping a log of what you do.

I am confident I could probably get 3.7 out of mine, but w/o the cooler I am planning to get, I just don't see the point for an extra 100mhz for the risk of frying my computer.

alrighty

i set my ram back to 1:1

got into windows with these settings, but it fails prime95 instantly and blue screens, though this is the farthest i've gotten.

Code:
3.6 Ghz

Multi................................9
FSB.................................400

Vcore...............................1.45
CPU Term..........................1.3
CPU PLL............................1.5
CPU Ref.............................0863

Mch.................................1.2
Mch Ref............................0.863
DRAM Ref..........................1.01
ICH I/0...................................1.57
ICH Core............................1.1

DRAM V.............................2.2

I have tried other settings, but they don't get me as far (fail before windows)
not sure if they are relevant but I have them written down if you really want to see them

Last edited:
Sounds like mine when I didn't have enough NB Voltage.

You didn't post your NB. Start with about 1.34 NB voltage and try again.

mch = NB

at 1.34 NB it still fails prime95, but it doesn't blue screen so... improvement yay! guess i'll just keep upping the NB for now and see if I can get prime95 to run for more than 15 sec.

thanks for all the help btw :)

update: went to 1.48 NB 1 notch at a time, no improvement, my NB was getting pretty warm to the touch at 1.48 so I don't feel safe going further there, anything else I can try?

Last edited:
What BIOS are you running? I know F4 was the best for quads for the longest time. You might be able to get 3.2GHz with less voltage using it, which would also likely result in lower temps.

didnt see this before sorry, i was using f7, just updated to f9

got 3.4 stable with these settings
Code:
3.4 Ghz

Multi................................8
FSB.................................425

Vcore...............................1.45
CPU Ref............................0.863

Mch.................................1.34
DRAM Ref...........................1.01
ICH I/0..............................1.57
ICH Core............................1.1

DRAM V..............................2.0

oc34425x8.jpg

I gave up on trying for 3.6 with the 9x400, gonna go for 8x450 maybe i'll have some better luck.

Its possible yours just won't do it. I got mine to run stable at 3.6 for every day use, but I still get core 4 errors on prime. However it might be heat related and I am upgrading my cooling in 1 or 2 days when it gets here.

Also I noticed your Vcore in CPUz is a lot lower then your bios voltage. Do you have your Vdroop set to Intel spec or for performance. Your Vcore shouldn't drop too much lower then 1.45 while Pushing those clocks. In your CPUz screenie your at 1.392. Adjust your bios till your at 1.45 in CPUz.

Its possible yours just won't do it. I got mine to run stable at 3.6 for every day use, but I still get core 4 errors on prime. However it might be heat related and I am upgrading my cooling in 1 or 2 days when it gets here.
Yes I had to face the sad truth that my chip just wouldn't do 3.6 :(
To make things worse, turns out those settings I posted before were only 18 hours stable and I don't settle for less than 24 hours of priming stability.
thanks chinstrap, I had actually been reading through that thread before, so much stuff in there. :)

some good news though, I did manage to get a 3.4, 26 hours stable, with the same setting as above except Vcore raised to 1.475. I think I'll be keeping those as my 24/7

in case anyone was interested
Code:
3.4 Ghz

Multi................................8
FSB.................................425

Vcore...............................1.475
CPU Ref............................0.863

Mch.................................1.34
DRAM Ref...........................1.01