• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A warning to US customers buying from Cad. retailers and rant about Samsung

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mxthunder

It has been a long couple months for me, starting out simply wanting a bigger monitor. After a recommendation from someone on here I decided to go after a Samsung T220. Bought a refurbished unit from Ecost.com and that turned out to be a mistake. That is monitor #1. First, it came missing a DVI cable, next after being serviced the first time, they sent it back to me TOTALLY DEAD just as I had sent it to them, like they didnt even touch it. Not to mention they had the unit for almost 2 weeks. After sending it out again, I got it back and it worked for ONE day. I gave up on it, complained to samsung and DEMANDED my money back. They only thing they could do was to send me a replacement unit. However they did not have any on hand, so lucky for me, I will be getting my money ( still have not seen it, its in the "processing stage" still. It has been FOUR WEEKS)

Thats my first $200 that I am out.

Spring break was coming up and I wanted to have a monitor so I could play games that week. I then made the mistake of buying another T220 brand new from ncixus.com and had it overnighted to my house. To my dissapointment, it was totally DEAD on arrival. I was raging. I sent that one out to be serviced and I have no monitor during this time. 2 weeks later I got the unit back, and it worked good for about 3 weeks this time. Last saterday it totally DIED AGAIN! I call up samsung and get the same story. They cant give me my money back, only a replacement, but since they didnt have any replacements on hand, they had to give me my money. After 2 days I get a call saying they cannot give me my money because I bought this monitor from a canadian retailer. WTF!! After talking to the rep for 20+ minutes, she basically told me that the warranty is void the second the unit crosses into the US border. So NCIXUS.com sold me a Canadian model of a monitor with NO warranty!! I am now battling between the retailer and samsung in an attempt to get my money back.

Thats the next $200 that I am out.

Finally, obviously I gave up on the cheap, no good, POS samsung prodcucts and bought a Dell 2209WA. Little did I know that this would also send more problems my way. Dell requires a signature on this fedex shipment, even though it is under the $300 limit on their website. (Anything over $300 requires a signature.) After the first failed delivery attempt (I even left a note on the door that the driver could leave the package as instructed to do so on FedEx's Website) I called FedEx that night and told them to make the driver leave it without a sig, because it would be impossible for me to be there at the time the driver came. The next day, same thing, I watch the tracking and I see a "delivery exception". I call fedex again and the lady tells me that they MUST have a signature regardless of what I call up and tell them to do with MY package. How crazy is that? I have never had this issue with UPS, they will leave it if I ask them to regardless of the verification required. After getting nowhere with FedEx, I call dell and ask them to change the shipping type so the driver can leave it, but I was too little to late, as for some reason, my dad had Coincidentally gone to the FedEx center to get the package!

Thats the third $200+ I have shelled out and I came close to having NO monitor to show for it!

Does anyone else find it a bit ridiculous that the warranty is void because I bought it online from a Canadian company and live in the US? I had NO knowledge of samsungs "policy" at the time of purchase. How would I know? This situation has me totally enraged with anger to the point that I am depressed. I have interest being compounded on my credit cards because I am waiting on all these refunds.

I urge everyone to shy away from samsung products of all types! I will never buy from them again!
And NCIX is pushing their luck with me as well. I can never get through to them on the phone, and I have to use their slow online ticket system.

so on FedEx's Website) I called FedEx that night and told them to make the driver leave it without a sig, because it would be impossible for me to be there at the time the driver came. The next day, same thing, I watch the tracking and I see a "delivery exception". I call fedex again and the lady tells me that they MUST have a signature regardless of what I call up and tell them to do with MY package. How crazy is that? I have never had this issue with UPS, they will leave it if I ask them to regardless of the verification

Next time you see the FedEx guy, you can sign a waiver of signature
requirement that they will keep on file.

that sucks man, but I have had nothing but good things to say about samsung so far. Their panel on my 2253 is unbelievable. Also, they made the panels for dell as well, so you're not really avoiding samsung by going dell lol. In any case, I'm sorry to hear what happened.

Threads like these only enforce my rule of avoiding refurbished products ESPECIALLY monitors.

As for the policy of warranty depending on where you buy the product, that's ridiculous. I've RMA'd motherboards and memory that I bought from the US without a hitch.

I bought from ncix because it was almost 1/2 the price that newegg wanted for the unit at the time. The monitor I bought uses an eIPS panel, I dont think it is made by samsung but I could be wrong.
Buying refurbished was definitely a mistake!

well if you live in the U.S you buy in the U.S, many companies have differnt policies based on your region, due to different laws.

I bought my t220 from techforless refurbished and it came in great working condition, no dead pixels. the only thing i see that was wrong with it was that there is a tiny scratch visible when the light shines on it. I don't ever think I had a refurbished item be DOA, so just this week I bought a t240hd for $270 shipped on ebay refurbished, it should come monday.

Monitors are one item I won't buy online. I buy my monitors from brick and mortor retail stores, so if they dont' work, I can just pick up another one.

I like Samsung. They made my monitor (and the one before it, too) camcorder and cellphone. Top notch. Next time, don't buy across borders and don't buy refurb.

Stories like this are one of the reasons I buy almost exclusively from Newegg. My past experience has me convinced that if anything happens like the nightmare you are going through then I will be able to give them a call and they will make it right. Haven't had to test that on a situation like yours, but any other previous issue has been handled quickly through them. Sure, maybe I pay a few extra dollars sometimes nowadays to go through Newegg, but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

It's more than likely to do with different laws regarding warranties, like what was said above I have nothing but good words to shout about Samsung. I worked in retail for 4years and in my time I think I only saw 1 Samsung TV/Monitor come back.

To be honest I think you just had bad luck :/

Sorry to hear it but if you live in the US, buy in the US. Would of thought it would of been more expensive to by cross boarders with fee's and such.

Anyways I've bought 1 monitor online.... my trusty 24" Dell, from eBay of all places. 5-6 years old now still working great.

As for the FedEx thing, did they leave a notice on the door saying unable to deliver? Please sign here to leave package at next delivery attempt? I get those every once and a while but anymore im in the data base for both UPS and FedEx and they just drop the package off, no questions asked. If you need to go to the nearest center and ask for them to put you on the file.

Consider your self lucky dell required a sig.

Dell sent me 2 replacement graphic cards"GTX 285's" and dident require a sig and they dident tell me they were sending them to me "thought it was a service order and a tech would bring them out" and i never got the package and fedex said they left it on the porch. Nice big box with dell on it. Now i know 2 GTx 285's is more than $300 but they dident require a sig. So i called dell told them i dident get the parts someone must of stold them, checked with the neighbors they dident pick up my package and i told dell i wasent going to pay for their mistake and had then send out the reoplacements and this time they got it right and required a sig.

But i hope eveything works out for ya man. I went into a bad spell with computer support but i think its passed. just got a killer deal on a tv tuner and it shipped out fast and got it in a day with free shipping" and it works amazeing. But i hope in the end you get your money back that your out and you get a nice working lcd.

Im also running a 24inch dell a 2408WFP and i love it. no problems from it so far.

Well it has been almost TWO MONTHS now. I still have $0 for either monitor.

I am bumping this as a reminder of how crappy samsung is!! They cancelled out the wrong ticket this time and neglected to call me for whatever reason. I had to start the refund process over 3 times now!!!

As for the canadian unit, I gave up on getting my money back, simply wanted it serviced. I have called twice so far and they still have not sent me a shipping label!! They are lying right to my face! They say I should have it in 2-3 hours and it never comes!

I want to go more public with my gripes against samsung! I am SO frustrated at them I would love to put them right out of business! What else can I do to make my testimony more known??

If it makes you feel better, Newegg screws over Canadians so it works both ways.

Asus M3N WS is a mobo I would like to buy.

Ah, sweet! Newegg has it!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131337

$139.99 with $50 MIR. H3lls yeah!

Oh..........

Newegg.ca

We have found 0 items that match"m3n ws".

Search Tips
Reduce the number of keywords used, or use more general words.
Remember to use the full name, not just an acronym.
Try one of the keyword suggestions that are displayed as you type in the main search input and then use the filters to narrow the results.
You Could Also Try Browsing By:
Category Listing
Brand Listing

Cheapest price up here in Canada?

ASUS WS.AM2+ NVIDIA GF 8200 ATX-M3N-WS
(Mfg:ASUSTeK Computer, MfgPartNo:M3N-WS, SKU:10391509)
Availability: In Stock
Reg. Price: $281.14
Discount: -$56.23(20% off)
Your Price Only: $224.91

Wow, only close to 2.5X as much! Awesome!

[/bitterness]

EDIT:

If it's an American model number you should be able to RMA in the US. If it's a Canadian model number, you have to RMA in Canada. Trust me, that screws us over far more than you Yanks. We get to see all these huge LCD tv's south of the border for 2/3 the price. However, if we buy one and bring it over we're boned if it breaks. Often, the manufacturer adds a little "a" or something to the end of the model number and that model can only be shipped to an RMA address in one or the other country.

It's like region specific DVD's, only far worse because we both live on the same continent.

Free trade my @rse.

EDIT2:
Granted 139.99 USD is closer to $156 CAN, but you still get the idea.

Reagan's already dead so I can't go b!tch him out over NAFTA. But Mr. Mulroney, after you get done trying to weasel out of that fraud case (you oily snake, you) and your son gets back to being a girly-man hosting Canadian Idol (seriously, THAT's Canadian content!?) you're getting an ear-full from yours truly.

Last edited:
hey bro understand that the fedex guy is doing his job. if that packages comes up missing thats 300 bucks out of his wallet. Dell can call Fedex and change the sig however. They can do that cause I have had to do that before for some of our customers.

I would rather go to Best Buy most of the time and buy a LCD cause I can see it there make sure its good ect. Yes i might pay a little more but its well worth it for me.

whats the serial number on the NCIX monitor
I think you are being lied too.
Also i am surprised you have had issues with them.
NCIX is normally pretty good.

NCIX has offered to get the monitor repaired, but they said it could take a total of 2 months before I get it back. They are making me pay for the shipping too. I will continue to fight samsung and get it fixed for free, hopefully.

Just and update guys,
I STILL dont have any money from these units.
I have called samsung over 20 times now. Today I was speaking with the rep and he was going to transfer me to the 'executive' customer relations people, but guess what, THEY DIDNT ANSWER!! How ridiculous is that?
I am SO TIRED of explaining my situation to every single rep each time I call in. This is such a waste of my time!
I HATE samsung!

Samsung Canada is just as bad! I called once, the first thing I am greeted with is someones PERSONAL extention!
I try the same number again, this time I get a receptionist who hangs up on me!
Third time I finally get the main VRU that I want.

Last edited:
Back