• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 question(s)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Another question: how about going to higher clocks, like 1800 ? What's the performance impact, knowing that the latency is higher ?

a) I do not like ocz at all. Stick with corsair/gskill/crucial IMO. The timings are too good on that ocz for the price!

1600 is about the sweet spot right now. You don't want more than cas8, and 7 is better. Most boards cannot run much past 1600 stable anyway so get the best timing 1600 possible!

If you are going to only go with 1333 then you might as well just stick with much cheaper lower timing ddr2-1066.

What are you getting the memory for? If you need a cpu, newegg has a sweet deal on 4gb of corsair 1600 with the 955BE for -$50 off the total. Essentially nice dominator 1600 for 50 bucks! Its only cas9 which I normally dont recommend but the post deal price is too good to pass up!

Yeah I'm getting a whole new rig. I saw the deal, but I think I'd rather stick with CAS7, 1600.

The price of the OCZ is about right for those timing, pretty much the same than the other brands... Any particular reason why u don't like them ?

I messed up my original post, and forgot to link my 3rd choice, mushkin, 7-7-6-18...

A rather common complaint on Newegg is "I have this new system ...<list specs>, and 2GB/4GB/whatever size of OCZ and the system won't boot..."

The fix is replacing OCZ ram with a top tier brand: corsair, G-Skill, or crucial.

In "Animal Farm", the animals were all *equal*. A cornerstone of their new society. The pigs were just *more* equal. In this metaphor, you now know the brand names of the "more equal", pigs. :)

My memory failures/problems since switching to Corsair brand, from "whatever is on sale"? Zero.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with OCZ RAM, it is the stupid users that dont know how to manually set timings in the bios, which has to be done on most RAM nowadays anyways since the spd profiles are not always right.

I have used OCZ RAM for years in multiple builds and have never had a lick of trouble, yet the so called top teir brands you speak of have higher failure rates than OCZ in my builds.

The only OCZ issue that i currently know about is the memory profiles not being read properly by the motherboard with the Reaper Modules and that causes the mobo to undervolt the RAM. This is more of an ASUS and mobo problem than an OCZ issue, though OCZ has made good and will replace your modules for you, which is something these "top tier" companies hardly do.

I have used OCZ RAM for years in multiple builds and have never had a lick of trouble, yet the so called top teir brands you speak of have higher failure rates than OCZ in my builds.

May I know where you got that information from?

The only cas7 G.Skill I found are 150$. Are they worth the extra 55 compared to the mushkin ?

Any idea how the mushkin will OC, compared to the g.skill and the ocz ?

Back