• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cache vs Ram.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChanceCoats123

d20 in a jacket
I am not quite sure if this should be in here or the cpu section, but i was wondering which has a larger benefit from a speed increase? Cpu cache or Ram? I ran some everest mem tests and found with my cpu at 3.3ghz and the ram divider at cpu/7 (942mhz) I was getting

FastestLatencies.jpg ,
but when I dropped the overall speed to get the divider at cpu/6 I was getting

500mhzRam.jpg .
I was simply wondering which would have a higher benefit of running? 3.3ghz with lower ram speeds or 3ghz with higher ram speeds?

Judging by the decrease in latency I would surmise that your memory timings are clamping down at the lower speeds (aside from the 5-5-5 setting)

I suppose it could also be too many errors on the higher speed setup.

Judging by the decrease in latency I would surmise that your memory timings are clamping down at the lower speeds (aside from the 5-5-5 setting)

I suppose it could also be too many errors on the higher speed setup.

I think you might have read incorrectly... The lower ram speed gave an increase in latency and the faster ram speed= lower latencies. Also, I run 5-5-5-18-22-6-3 in the bios so those are not changing...

easiest way I know of is to set the benchmarks priority to Realtime from task manager.

Back