• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next high-end Intel chipset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

The X58 chipset is great and all but there is one pretty important feature that it is missing: SATA 6 Gbit/s.

With the next-gen SSDs approaching the 300 MB/s limit of SATA 3 Gbit/s it seems necessary for Intel to SATA 6 Gbit/s.

Does anyone know if Intel will support this in their next chipset, and when will their chipset be out?

The smart thing to do if they are not going to make an entirely new chipset right after the launch of x58, is to have new boards cranked out that support the sata 6Gbit/s. I cant see why this isn't an option.

Couldn't people just manufacture PCI or PCI-E cards for sata 6Gbit/s? Sure having new mobo's to support it would be nice but what if the entire world isn't ready for that type of upgrade... lol. I'm still chugging along on my Q6600 @ 3.6ghz just fine without even touching Nehalem or tri-channel DDR3. If I wanted 6Gbit/s sata I shouldn't have to upgrade my equipment.

Wait for ICH11, it'll have that new SATA spec plus the new USB 3.0 specs.

Plus SSD's work in parallel by default anyways. Even if you're saturating the SATA bus, you're still getting an IOPS that is multiple times higher than a mechanical drive.

The X58 chip doesn't manage HDDs. Intel's next chipset will hopefully not have anything on it, every component will be in the CPU (SoC), with insanely high interconnects between them.

Last edited:
Back