• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Review: DFI Lan Party DK X58-T3eH6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Introduction​

May you live in interesting times: An old Chinese proverb that fits in with the computer industry these days. With the advent of the Intel ‘Core I7’ and its promising architecture, motherboard manufacturers have been eager to exploit this new technology to the fullest. Seven months ago Intel released the specifications of the X58 system boards in order to enable the public to utilise the new processor, then yes one could say that we do live in ‘interesting times’.

Over the last seven months manufacturers have been lining up for the public’s attention on their particular ‘spin’ of the X58 architecture. If one recalls correctly the first of the starting line was the MSI Eclipse followed by Asus and Gigabyte. Last but possibly not least was the product by DFI (Diamond Flower International). As usual, the aforementioned company has chosen to have two ‘flavours’ of board. The ‘UT’ and the ‘DK'. The former being the top of the range, whilst the latter being aimed towards the Gamer and the Overclocking enthusiast. This review shall focus it's attention towards the 'DK' model.
Long story short:
PROS
  • Great board layout and design
  • Good Overclocking results
  • CPU area clean (allows for a variety of third party solutions
  • First PCIE slot is far away from the RAM slots allowing for third-party cooling devices
  • Fast motherboard even at stock settings.
  • Very stable even at high overclock speeds
  • Northbridge Heatsink idea which allows for a third-party solution
  • Onboard Firewire
  • Plenty of USB ports
  • Well designed BIOS
  • ABS One stop overclocking tool
  • CMOS reloaded
  • UV Reactive colour scheme (DFI trade mark)
  • Most of the heatsink array is bolted down
CONS
  • PWM Sink (if its lack of air flow=bad foresight on DFI I.E watercooling solutions) or an issue with the heatsink itself
  • Far too much thermal paste on the northbridge
  • If a second VGA card is used then the last PCI slot is covered
  • J-Micron controller for IDE and two of the SATA ports
  • Cheap thermal paste on the southbridge and plastic clips
Score: 8/10

See the full review here.

Cheers! :beer:

Got that exact same board.

I hate the ABS thing though, just annoys me to see the values fluctuate so much and I would much rather a stable and consistent overclock which I am getting to slowly and have ABS turned off.

And I havent made any changes to the factory heatsinks yet which I plan to do soon as well since Im looking at 4+Ghz on air.

At the very least I'd clean off and reinstall some good TIM under that NB HS top. That thing looked horrible.

interesting update.. My board just smoked itself last night. Been running ok for 3 days at a mild OC (3.4Ghz, @1.18vCore and 1.56vDIMM) and all of a sudden it started acting wierd. almost like it was lagging. Then I got a wiff of that nice burn't electronics smell and I launched myself towards the power button just in time to hear a crackle, see a puff of smoke and the whole system shut off. A voltage regulator blew for basically no reason. Killed the processor as well and Im sure screwed up several other things too like memory and video card.... I say memory because I put a new chip in a new board (same model) and even at a measly 150blck (3ghz) I often get post code errors indicating insuficient voltage on the RAM. And when video card is folding(ie full load) I sometimes hear a nice electronic whine.

I am more ****ed off than you can imagine right now :mad: :mad:

Very sorry to hear that pik4chu. There are always bad apples that make it through QC, as you surely know and I definitely don't blame you for being extremely hot over it. Do let us know how the new board runs. If it happens again, with the extremely low probability of you getting two bad apples, it definitely would warrant comment. Sure hope it doesn't though!

Back