• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing the right ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanChiarot

well the build i was doing for a buddy of mine is almost done, just having some 2nd thoughts on RAM.....

should i go with;
1: 4GB Corsair XMS
or
2: 4GB OCZ Reaper

the mobo supports

4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 1066(O.C.)/800/667 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture

A local comp store is having a sale on ram, and the Reaper showing on there site as 79.99, and newegg shows the same 4gb kit at almost 90 bucks!! they have both 5-5-5-18 and 4-4-4-15 for the reaper in stock....

so should i go ahead with the Corsair XMS2, or get the OCZ Reaper
we DO plan on over clocking this rig once i get more comfortable doing it (still reading alot of doc's before i even try it :p)

Last edited:
Dang this is ultra expensive! I just bought a set of OCZ Animal DDR3 3x2GB for $90.

What happened to DDR2 being cheaper than DDR3?

I do not like OCZ, never have. Have repeatedly been disappointed by their ram and PSU's. G.skill, corsair, crucial, and mushkin are all far superior and are much more likely to do rated speed and timings at listed voltage.
If you need ddr2 g.skills 4gb ddr2-1066 (2x2 cas5) kit is fantastic memory and a steal at 58 bucks free shipping at newegg. I have had put 12 sticks of the stuff in various systems including my own and it works great and you can often get away with only 2.0 volts. Corsair Dominator comes in second with how much I've used, I found it needed a little more voltage than gskills cas5 1066 but it has the heatsinks to cope with the heat.
Beware ram like corsair dominator with giant heatsinks on them though, they do not work with many xl 120mm fan toting CPU heatsinks. If your heatsink or fan needs to take up space above a mem slot or 2 you will not be able to use them.

Last edited:
I agree with Malakai. I haven't liked anything OCZ in years. Moreso, if you end up needing warranty replacement, they will send you the low-end version of whatever you need. I went with Mushkin but G.Skill and Corsair were on my short list also.

As for the heatsinks, he has another good point. Make sure you have the clearance before you get them.

If you need ddr2 g.skills 4gb ddr2-1066 (2x2 cas5) kit is fantastic memory and a steal at 58 bucks free shipping at newegg..
lol that 58 bucks = USD :p Same Thing only 68 bucks <_< damn hell lol thats still a nice price!, thanks, will have to do some looking up on reviews about this one ^_^

As for the heatsinks, he has another good point. Make sure you have the clearance before you get them.
I know all to well about that problem, i had the Corsair dominator when i 1st built my rig, then a buddy gave me the CM V8 HSF because he updated his to a V10, and when i went to toss that on there the ram was just a pinch to big >_<, so needless to say i down graded myself to the XMS2, his mobo is just going to use either stock heatsync, with future intentions (it is a budget build.....) of getting him the TRUE and mounting that so its not over the ram.... so thats not a prob

Back