• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory question with Overclocking E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hobo66

System background:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45=ED3P
Intel E8400
OCZ PC 9200 Ram 2x2GB

I'm going to be overclocking my sytem by having a 9x multiplier, and a FSB of 400mhz. My questions is, my system is currently using my memory @ 800 MHZ, since It's PC9200 rated at 1150MHZ can I change this speed up safely? And if so whats the best route to do this?

Thanks!

Just overclock the memory through increasing the FSB. Leaving the FSB:RAM ratio at 1:1 should be fine. Max the CPU multiplier and have at it :)

Don't listen to static: bump up your volts a bit to start off; you're not going to get anything decent at stock volts.

Once your E8400 has maxed out, then worry about the RAM. Drop the FSB a little and change the RAM/FSB ratio (5:6 or 4:5). Keep working to see how high you can go on RAM only. Once you establish the max speed of the RAM, drop it back until you are maxed out on the E8400 again, then raise the RAM as high as it will go at that ratio. You probably won't be able to run the RAM at it's top speed, because of the strap limitations of the mobo. That's OK, the processor makes a bigger impact on performance. Once you are there, try to tighten your timings and then finally, try to reduce voltage to RAM and processor while maintaining stability.
Now you've found your sweet spot:D

Back