• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with Memory Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

exRath

Hi, I have a bit of a problem. I recently ordered all new parts to build my new PC from scratch, got it together and it runs like a dream. Although, I've been having trouble with it crashing during gaming (almost completely at random, very intermittently), and someone recommended that I adjust the RAM voltage slightly higher. I enter my bios to do just that and it is set to 'Auto' and is grayed out. I'll post my specs and appreciate any advice I can get to solve this problem. Also, before anyone asks, I have the 8GB of RAM because I use lots of graphic intensive applications such as Photoshop, Maya, and Fireworks. Also, my case has extremely good airflow and stays nice and cool, so any OC advice would be great as well. Thanks!

MoBo: MSI 7374 with NVIDIA Chipset
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.00 Mhz
Memory: 8GB OCZ PC26400 Dual Channel DDR2 RAM@400MHz (in 2GB Modules)

If any more info is needed, please let me know. I'm running CPU-Z to pull the exact info. Once again, thanks for any help!

It's unclear whether that board has memory voltage adjustment.
I took a look at the manual, and it's grayed out in the manual example also.
I can't imagine MSI not implementing voltage control for the dimms,
but maybe they didn't.

Thanks for the response!

Current Voltage: 1.8v
CL: 5.0
tRCD: 6
tRP: 6
tRAS 18
tRC 25
CR: 2T

If I can't adjust the voltage directly, is there any way to fine tune the latencies to help resolve this intermittent problem? Thanks again for all the help-- very frustrating to spend some decent money on a nice PC and then have it fail at running Warcraft 3 without freezing half the time. =/

In order to change the memory voltage on that board, I believe you have to use either the Page Up and Page Down keys, or the +/- Numpad keys to change from the default AUTO to a defined value.

Thanks for all your help everyone! It was easier than I thought to adjust the voltage, just using the +/- keys. Never even thought of that. No more DQS Training error on restart, and it has yet to freeze up while gaming since I adjusted the voltage up slightly. Thanks again for taking the time to help me think it through.

Back