• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel E5200 on Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LufbraDan23

Hi, new member here.
I'm new to overclocking and it'd be great if someone could help me.

I recently did a new budget build for under £200, pairing the E5200 with the G31M board. I've read that this is a very popular choice for overclockers on a budget. I've been trying to o/c for a month or so now to no avail.

Bizarrely, before i overclocked, Vista was reporting that the 2.5ghz processor was running at 1.6ghz. This is without any tweaking from me, so does anyone know why that would be?

After a bit of tweaking i've managed to get the processor to run at 2.5ghz (200FSB with a multiplier of 12.5x). So after 'overclocking' ive managed to get the CPU to run at stock speed :screwy:

The multiplier is at max and ANY tweak to the FSB speed gets auto-reset (so does that multiplier, putting me back to 1.6ghz again!).

I've read that this CPU is capable of 4ghz (i'm only asking for 3.5ghz stable) so does anyone know why this keeps happening.

It would be great if anyone with this combo could advise me on what they did to achieve a stable overclock and what speed they're at.

Thanks alot guys, ask me for any more details and i hope i've provided enough info. :)

I'm pretty sure it is showing lower than stock because of the "energy-saving" aspects. The CPU will run at lower speeds when it is not under load. My Q6600 (2.4) is overclocked to 3.0 but when there is no load, it still shows at 1.9Ghz. Download prime 95, and see what it shows when your computer is at max load. Mine shows at 3.0

First things first. Don't worry about the 1.6Ghz reported speed. This is a feature in the BIOS that clocks the CPU down reduce heat and use less power when the CPU isn't busy. You can disable it in the BIOS (Usually disable C1E or/and Enhanced halt state). Make sure your board is using the latest BIOS. I've heard some of these board will reset to default clocks if the PCI-E setting is not on "AUTO". Make sure it is on AUTO then raise your FSB. Let us know how you get on. OH, And welcome to O/C forums :welcome:

i have not had that problem with mine. i do not have any energy saving things on. i would try that

Thanks alot for the quick replies guys.
I'll try turn off any energy saving features in the BIOS and set the PCI-E setting to Auto.

Kevlar 93- you have a similar set up to me and you're running at 3GHZ stable? Could you run me through what you changed in the BIOS to achieve this? I know it's asking alot but it would be great if you could let me replicate your settings.

You're all very helpful :)

Btw you want energy features on if you can, all it does is downclock when you don't need all the cpu power, so saves on energy bills, lowers amount of heat produced.

Thanks Badbonji, so you're saying to leave the energy saving as it is because it won't affect my overclock?

Sounds like i just need to set PCI-E to Auto then move the FSB up 10MHZ a time.

You can enable the power saving features while you overclock. 99% of the time they will work ok with a overclock. Most overclockers leave them disabled. Even with them enabled their is very little heat difference when your CPU is idle and you will be hard pushed to notice a difference on your electric bill. My vote would be to disable them.

Ok so here's my 'progress'

Set FSB from 200mhz to 210mhz (kept 12.5x multiplier)

That was fine, a stable 5% overclock, measured with Everest.

So i thought i'll go to 250mhz, how hard can it be?

Vista loaded, one minute later crashed. Ok, so that's not stable.

Set to 240mhz. Vista wouldn't even load. Less stable :s!

Now back at defaults-ish (for some reason it insisted on loading up at 1.3GHZ, probably a safety precaution).

PCI-E was set to Auto anyway as default. Couldn't find the power saver settings but the debate is raging over whether that matters ;)

So we've discovered i can run safely at 210mhz FSB.

I'm not happy though, i just know it can do better, Kevlar93 is at 3.0GHZ and i've heard rumours of 4.0GHZ.

Anyone familiar with my set-up want to jump in?

Raise your FSB in small increasements, say 10% at a time. Run prime95 for say 5mins each time and when your PC becomes unstable or prime says a core has failed then go back into your BIOS and increase your Vcore and repeat the prime test until it is stable again.

Thanks jmdixon85, i'm doing exactly that.

This is the first time i've tweaked the vcore (d'oh!) except for one time when i whacked it up to max for fun. Quite likely that's what i was missing. Now stable at 1.37vcore and 225mhz fsb.

For some reason Everest is reporting that my multiplier has dropped down to 6x again. Hopefully this is just an error, either that or this machine really doesn't want to be o/c'd!

your multiplier will be dropping to 6x when the power saving features are enabled and your CPU is almost idle. Thats how it lowers the clock speed and saves power. Glad your finally getting somewhere with your O/C!

Ok, FSB at 240mhz.

Stress testing on Prime95 stops after 12 mins with an error on each core. Is that ok or should i do some more tweaking?

I've upped my vcore somewhat, is there any risk of it being too high? I'm thinking that might be the reason for the error?

As for the power saving lowering my cpu, when i play Crysis this will shoot right up to max again won't it? :)

Sorry to be such a bother about this, i just want to get it exactly right :)

If prime95 returns with an error then that is a unstable overclock. I've seen one of your CPU's running at 4Ghz with a Vcore of 1.50. So you should also be safe upto this voltage. Just keep an eye on your temps. And yes while you play crysis or stress your CPU in any way it will go up to full speed.

Jmdixon85- i'm writing this on my housemates mac cos i just failed epically.

I set the vcore to 1.5ghz, Turns out that is much too high.

Now the pc doesnt turn on long enough to enter BIOS.

Any idea how to reset clocks before the pc crashes?

:(

It is well known that CPU can handle that vCore. I suggest resetting the CMOS. This will have to be done with the BIOS reset jumper on your mobo. Your CPU should be perfectly fine. Sounds like your mobo just can't take that CPU very high. Hope everything turns out ok. Did you go strait to a vcore of 1.5 or did you increase it step by step?

Thanks
Back up and running.
Back to the subject before- i guess my voltage was too low earlier for 3ghz. I'll slowly shift that up bit by bit til prime95 runs stable

Thats great. you had me worried for a moment there. lol. What sort of cooler are you using? If it's stock I wouldn't go over a Vcore of around 1.45

Intel's finest stock cooler lol

Ok then, well i just checked stability so now il go back to 240fsb and up the vcore slowly this time rather than from 1.18 to 1.5! :p

That was my fault. I should of explained that you should increase the Vcore step by step, not go for the long jump, lol. Hope your monitoring them temps.

Back