• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on Mushkin DDR3 1600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sectorbob

Registered
I am getting a DX58SO and an i7 920 and am looking for a good deal on RAM. I was browsing newegg and I liked these specs on this Mushkin set.
What do you guys think? $199 for this?

I will spend some good money if it'll get me my money's worth in the end. I just don't know.

That's pretty pricey but if you have the money to spend, go for it. I've always been happy with my Mushkins for speed and reliability.

I would go with these. The timings are just a touch looser but they are ~30% cheaper. You will never notice the difference outside of benchmarks, other than in your bank account.

Thanks man. I'll take your advice! Haha, plus they'll match my black-green theme better!

Im sure those are good, Mushkin is a fine brand.

However, so is G.Skill and they are cheaper :)

Im sure those are good, Mushkin is a fine brand.

However, so is G.Skill and they are cheaper :)

I assume you mean the sticks you linked a couple threads up. For the price they are nice. A bit looser but again for a lot cheaper, I would say they are a good buy but I wouldn't touch them due to the heatspeaders. I cannot stand and will never recommend anything with giant heatspeaders(those, reapers, dominators, etc). They serve no functional purpose and introduce needless clearance issues. Just keep some air flow on them and normal speaders are fine.

Cas7 DDR3 1600 $74.99 after MIR.

We have a winner :thup:

As others have already said, cas6 will only help in some benchmarks.
Outside of benching cas 8 DDR3 1600 is more than most will need (or can even tell)

I'll back that up for sure. I bought a 6GB set DDR3-1333 OCZ Platinum 7-7-7 as a backup about a month ago for $114 CDN tax in. All I had to do was bumpt to Cas 8-7-7 and they would run 1600 at 1.65V without any hint of a problem. They are an EXCELLENT value and quite sexy with the black PCB. Great experience for my very first set of OCZ memory. See sig below.

I LOVE Mushkin, and I did have my eye on the redlines too. But I think if I did go the Muskin route I would go with the blacks. Almost the same specs, and much cheaper. As far as I know they all use the same Elpida Chips anyway.

Last edited:
I assume you mean the sticks you linked a couple threads up. For the price they are nice. A bit looser but again for a lot cheaper, I would say they are a good buy but I wouldn't touch them due to the heatspeaders. I cannot stand and will never recommend anything with giant heatspeaders(those, reapers, dominators, etc). They serve no functional purpose and introduce needless clearance issues. Just keep some air flow on them and normal speaders are fine.

I'm right with you there partner. I had to trade my 4 sticks of Corsair Dominator 5-5-5 1066 for this gskill cuz my sunbeam core contact+fan covers the first 2 ddr slots.
Luckily there was room for regular sized ram under the fan or I would have been in trouble!

Back