• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another impossible OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bummed

This will be my 8th system that I have attemped to OC with zero success.
I have tried 15 different guides for my exact cpu/motherboard combo, and in several cases, ram as well. I have tried simply upping small amounts exactly as explained for my system.

I have the Evga X58 Motherboard with a i7 920 CPU.

I can't get a stable overclock of even 2.7 (stock is 2.66).

I can't get past the first step, computer either will not boot or will BSOD in Windows if I adjust anything past stock speeds.

This has been the case for the past 8 systems I have attempted over 15 years time. Ever since I first heard of overclocking so many years ago, each time I put together a new system, I have attempted (for weeks) to OC each system. Never have I had a stable OC even slightly over stock speeds.

I'm honestly beginning to think OC'ing is a myth.

I have my system at 2.8 right now, but if I run Prime it will BSOD instantly with a 0X00000019 stop error.

I have tried all safe voltage combinations with various cpu clock speeds, none stable. Like I said, I have read and followed 15 different guides now, not just examples of settings, but guides on how to gradually step up everything with zero success. The very first modification results in system stability problems. Every time, with every system I have ever attempted to OC.

If anyone has any ideas on why this is, I would love to hear them.

(and yes, I've updated BIOS to the latest every time)

Wow, holy cr@p you must be cursed....

What are your temps like? Are you overclocking SATA/PCI-E (you should not)?

My components are as follows:

EVGA x58 3x Sli
i7 920 CPU
2x Evga 285 FTW
6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224)
Antec 1200 case
InWin 1200w PSU
WD VelociRaptor WD30000HLFS 300GB 10,000 RPM HD
WD 750g sata drive

As far as BIOS right now I have defaults except my ram adjustments. cpu is running stock speeds on everything else. E-LEET reports my ram is only running at 800mhz when I have it set at 1600 in bios. everything is auto and right now the system is stable. These are the only settings I have been able to get my system stable at:

Mother Board ( EVGA X58 3x SLi)
Drivers ( ? )
Bios ( S22S )
CPU ( 920 )
CPU Cooler ( CoolerMaster V8 )
Memory ( Corsair Dominator GT 1600 8 8 8 24 )
PSU ( Inwin 1200w )
GPU ( GTX285 X 2 )
Drivers ( 185.85 )
Operating System ( Windows 7 RC 64 )

Frequency Control
CPU Clock Ratio ( 20X )
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ( 133 )
MCH Strap ( AUTO )
CPU Uncore Frequency (Mhz) ( AUTO )
CPU Clock Skew ( 0 ps )
Spread Spectrum ( Disabled )
PCIE Frequency (Mhz) ( 100 )

Memory Feature
Memory Speed ( Default )
Memory Control Setting ( Enabled )
Memory Frequency ( 796Mhz / 2:12 ) (This is what EVGA E-LEET reports; it's set at 1600 in bios)
Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )
Rank Interleave Setting ( 4 Way )
Memory Low Gap ( 2.5G )
tCL Setting ( 8 )
tRCD Setting ( 8 )
tRP Setting ( 8 )
tRAS Setting ( 24 )
tRFC Setting ( AUTO )
Command Rate ( AUTO )

Voltage Control

***ALL AUTO***

EVGA VDroop Control ( With VDroop )
PWM Frequency ( 800 )

CPU Feature
Intel SpeedStep ( Disabled )
Turbo Mode Function ( Enabled )
CxE Function ( Disabled )
Execute Disable Bit ( Enabled ) ***I disable this usually as per guides.
Virtualization Technology ( Disabled )
Intel HT Technology ( Enabled )
Active Processor Cores ( All )
QPI Control Settings ( Enabled )
QPI Link Fast Mode ( Enabled )
QPI Frequency Selection ( AUTO )

This system seems to be running a bit slow btw.

My temps are 45c at idle and 66c at full load in Prime in the torture test that claims to run the hottest.

and no, I'm not OC'ing sata/pci-e.

Your 0x0..019 error is not directly hardware related:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892260 (there may be more pages or explanations and fixes than that one.)

"This issue occurs because of a problem in the NTFS file system." Could also be a driver issue. So let's start with which OS are you using? I assume you did a fresh install with the V-Raptor as your OS drive, was there ever an OS install on the WD 750GB?

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Yes there was an OS install on the 750 before, it was the main drive in my last system. Now the raptor is.. does that cause a problem? Are there files other than the entire windows folder on the 750 that I should delete?

Thanks for your replies.

SO set all the bios settings to default, change fsb by 40mhz, and restart, tell us if that works.

This will be my 8th system that I have attemped to OC with zero success.
I have tried 15 different guides for my exact cpu/motherboard combo, and in several cases, ram as well. I have tried simply upping small amounts exactly as explained for my system.

I have the Evga X58 Motherboard with a i7 920 CPU.

I can't get a stable overclock of even 2.7 (stock is 2.66).

I can't get past the first step, computer either will not boot or will BSOD in Windows if I adjust anything past stock speeds.

This has been the case for the past 8 systems I have attempted over 15 years time. Ever since I first heard of overclocking so many years ago, each time I put together a new system, I have attempted (for weeks) to OC each system. Never have I had a stable OC even slightly over stock speeds.

I'm honestly beginning to think OC'ing is a myth.

Kind of like riding a bike, no matter how much it is explained you just have to do it. OCing is no more a myth than riding a bike before you learn how. You can't blindly follow a guide as there are too many variables for your unique system. The i7 overall is disgustingly easy to get mild OCs our of.

My components are as follows:

EVGA x58 3x Sli
i7 920 CPU
2x Evga 285 FTW
6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224)
Antec 1200 case
InWin 1200w PSU
WD VelociRaptor WD30000HLFS 300GB 10,000 RPM HD
WD 750g sata drive
Start with a less is more approach. One ram stick, one video card, one single hard drive.

As far as BIOS right now I have defaults except my ram adjustments. cpu is running stock speeds on everything else. E-LEET reports my ram is only running at 800mhz when I have it set at 1600 in bios. everything is auto and right now the system is stable. These are the only settings I have been able to get my system stable at:
They are the same speed. I think you need to do a little bit of research. This is a somewhat common misconception. DDR means Dual Data Rate and consequently has 2 ways of classifying it. The first is the actual true Mhz speed ie 800, the second is the effective speed ie 1600.

What voltage is ELeet reporting? Find out what your stock voltages are and set them accordingly manually. Does your ram say 1.65? Default is 1.50 usually so you may be undervolting your ram. Stock CPU voltages can vary but in general are around 1.200ish.

Limit your hardware and follow the above posters advice of resetting things. In your bios "Load Optimized Defaults" or "Load Failsafe Defaults" first.

Now restart again and enter your bios. Somewhere is probably shows your current voltages...write them down. Go and manually set your Rams voltage(1.65) and timings(8-8-8-24) and set your cpu vcore to match what you have written down. Save that and restart and again, enter your bios and verify that the voltages are where they should be. If your vCore has gone down a hair dont be surprised, there is often some vdroop(sag so to speak) and it's good to know now so adjust your vcore up the difference now and verify that you are at your target voltage after a restart.

Now boot into windows 7 and test it. Make sure it runs. Stress it. Keep track of temps, voltages, etc for a baseline for later comparison. Your ram will probably be running at 1066(533) but forget about your ram speed for now. Seriously, screw worrying about that, you can adjust it other ways later on and you will most likely NOT run at exactly 1600 regardless.

Go back to your bios again and change your BaseClock(BCLK) from 133 to 140 and nothing else. Reboot into W7.

I have tried all safe voltage combinations with various cpu clock speeds, none stable.

What, pray tell, is a safe voltage?!? I personally find out what a manufacters max rating is so I know where it starts getting fun.....

If you still can't get that to run, pm me, I may have an odd idea for you.

Back