• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tighter memory timings vs higher clock speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Djnardu

What is a better choice in my situation. Got a pair of 2GB DDR2 800.

When at normal clock speed timings are nice and tight at 5-5-5-15 which Is what I'm aiming for. When I overclock the ram to 1066 I find stable timings around 5-7-7-20. Whats a better route to go the faster clock with higher timings or tighter timings with a slower clock?

Hard to say exactly, you will need to benchmark to be sure. Run everest cache and memory bench, as well as sisoft sandra memory benchmarks, with the sys set one way or the other.

Theoretically lower timings should be better for any app that is not using all the avail bandwidth. Since the increase in bus size doesn't matter for a program not saturating the whole thing, it will get more out of the latency.

But in a case like a game where it does make use of additional bandwidth, or perhaps more bandwidth allowing multiple programs to each use more mem, clock speed is probably better.

Personally I do not like being lower than cas5. Just do the best speed you can at 5-5-5-15

Back