• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOOKING FOR 478 DDR2/SATA/IDE/PCI-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j0hnsm1th

Ok, so the title says all really, I want my machine to be able to use my current 478 pentium 4, support my current ide hdd as well as sata drives and DDR2 ram and I want it to have PCI-E slots.
I was thinking of something like this:
http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=5763&categoryid=259

I'm looking the spend around £50 on this mobo, problem is, I'll probably have to buy a new case and psu for it, can anybody reccomend a good deal on these three all together for under £100? or just the mobo?

my current computer isnt a tower:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWERFUL-IBM-...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1309|301:1|293:1|294:50

that is the case I have but not the spec, if there is a 478/sata/ide/ddr2/pci-e that will run in that case, I will be over the moooon :D:D:D lol but I wont get my hopes up as I realise this isn't likely.

So, thank you for any suggestions :D

EDIT: WOW does this support ddr and ddr2? because this could save me some money as well: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MSI-915GM-Spe...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

And is it possible that I could modify my netvista case to fit my mobo? I really like the small case :D

Last edited:
Well honestly, most of the current 775 boards still support IDE, so the only thing you would be saving would be the Processor. Now unless your sporting a Extreme 3.6 or something, you would be better off spending the extra 60 dollars and getting a dual core E5200. You system would then no longer need an upgrade for at least 4 years. Trying to save money like that will end up costing you more in the end. Most components for the Socket 478 can mostly only be found use and they are ridiculously overpriced.

Well honestly, most of the current 775 boards still support IDE, so the only thing you would be saving would be the Processor. Now unless your sporting a Extreme 3.6 or something, you would be better off spending the extra 60 dollars and getting a dual core E5200. You system would then no longer need an upgrade for at least 4 years. Trying to save money like that will end up costing you more in the end. Most components for the Socket 478 can mostly only be found use and they are ridiculously overpriced.

Meh on ebay alone that cpu is £70 but I suppose I could get a Q6600 in there...

I just don't want to spend more money than I have to; its my birthday in October, and by then, I should have around £250 but atm I really don't think I need a new processor because it wont really change my performance that much (0.1 Ghz ) and Q66 is the same speed as my P4, it sjust got 3 more coes lol.

EDIT: Besides, it is still fully upgradable in theory; one I saw on ebay for £40 supported DDR AND DDR2 as well as PCI AND PCI-E IDE/SATA now thats full compatibility lol I havn't seen anything with that much compatibility since I dreamt of buying a Maximus II Formula :eek: (aside from the DDR slots)
but other than that.. yeah.. lol

I suppose it doesnt support SLI or Crossfire (the £40 mobo) but hey lol

Last edited:
Meh on ebay alone that cpu is £70 but I suppose I could get a Q6600 in there...

I just don't want to spend more money than I have to; its my birthday in October, and by then, I should have around £250 but atm I really don't think I need a new processor because it wont really change my performance that much (0.1 Ghz ) and Q66 is the same speed as my P4, it sjust got 3 more coes lol.

EDIT: Besides, it is still fully upgradable in theory; one I saw on ebay for £40 supported DDR AND DDR2 as well as PCI AND PCI-E IDE/SATA now thats full compatibility lol I havn't seen anything with that much compatibility since I dreamt of buying a Maximus II Formula :eek: (aside from the DDR slots)
but other than that.. yeah.. lol

I suppose it doesnt support SLI or Crossfire (the £40 mobo) but hey lol

Core 2 Duo/Quad is largely more efficient than a Pentium 4. I'd say a 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo has about the same performance as a Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz in a single-threaded application.

If you just need a motherboard (with graphics), RAM, and processor you can probably get that for £100. I'm assuming £100 can get you $150 worth of computer components.

You said in another thread you just need a computer that can run the Aero interface and COD4... lets see what we can do. What parts do you have now? What resolution monitor do you have?

Core 2 Duo/Quad is largely more efficient than a Pentium 4. I'd say a 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo has about the same performance as a Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz in a single-threaded application.

If you just need a motherboard (with graphics), RAM, and processor you can probably get that for £100. I'm assuming £100 can get you $150 worth of computer components.

You said in another thread you just need a computer that can run the Aero interface and COD4... lets see what we can do. What parts do you have now? What resolution monitor do you have?

Ok, I got a 32inch HDtv with up to 1280 by 720 res, i have 2x 512mb DDR RAM, 40GB IDE HDD, IDE DVD RW AND MY P4 of course, I suppose getting a new CPU would be a good idea, but I just don't think I need it.

If its really important, what is the cheapest 1.8ghz+ intel 775 out there?
so i'll still be on budget AND be able to upgrage. thanks

Ok, I got a 32inch HDtv with up to 1280 by 720 res, i have 2x 512mb DDR RAM, 40GB IDE HDD, IDE DVD RW AND MY P4 of course, I suppose getting a new CPU would be a good idea, but I just don't think I need it.

If its really important, what is the cheapest 1.8ghz+ intel 775 out there?
so i'll still be on budget AND be able to upgrage. thanks

What power supply (connectors) and what form factor motherboard?

Not sure what power connectors or form factor, I suppose its mini atx because of the case that it is in.

I suppose you mean micro-ATX. Anyways I think it is more expensive in the UK because you can get a 790GX motherboard, AMD dual-core CPU, and 2GB of DDR2 ram for $150 here in the US, but you can't get all that for £100 in the UK. I'd say wait until your birthday to do any upgrades.

What power supply (connectors) and what form factor motherboard?

If it's an IBM Netvista SFF, then it probably uses a standard mATX motherboard, but with a proprietary SFF power supply. You might be able to get a modern system to run on the existing PSU, but I think it's only about 150W, meaning your options are limited. However, it's fairly similar to a TFX PSU, so it may be possible to adapt one of those in there.

I suppose getting a new CPU would be a good idea, but I just don't think I need it.

I don't think you quite understand yet. The clock speed means nothing when you're comapring different architectures. An old Intel Core2 E2140, which runs at 1.6ghz, is at very least equal, and in some cases almost twice as fast as a 3.6ghz P4, which is, in turn, about twice as fast as your CPU. The $50 AthlonX2 5200 or the $70 Intel E5200 are significantly faster than an E2140. You need a new processor.

I'd second the recommendation for a 780G (or 790GX) motherboard and whatever AthlonX2 you can find cheap.

If it's an IBM Netvista SFF, then it probably uses a standard mATX motherboard, but with a proprietary SFF power supply. You might be able to get a modern system to run on the existing PSU, but I think it's only about 150W, meaning your options are limited. However, it's fairly similar to a TFX PSU, so it may be possible to adapt one of those in there.

I don't think you quite understand yet. The clock speed means nothing when you're comapring different architectures. An old Intel Core2 E2140, which runs at 1.6ghz, is at very least equal, and in some cases almost twice as fast as a 3.6ghz P4, which is, in turn, about twice as fast as your CPU. The $50 AthlonX2 5200 or the $70 Intel E5200 are significantly faster than an E2140. You need a new processor.

I'd second the recommendation for a 780G (or 790GX) motherboard and whatever AthlonX2 you can find cheap.

I just don't think that I need a new processor, cheapest 775 over here is like £70 and I dont want amd :p I'm gonna go for my original idea of the mobo I saw on ebay, then when I save money from birthday, i'll sell my current system but put vista ult on it.

at least if I buy a load of sata/pci-e/ddr2 stuff now, the mobo will run it as well as my current stuff

so all I will need to upgrade is mobo, cpu and psu.

mobo + cpu can get decent deals at computer fair for around £120 but im just not sure what psu I need right now for my current machine :s and thanks.

Ok, Here are some pics of my Mobo and PSU;

Mobo:

PSU:

Now, I know im going to need a new case, but is that PSU ok if I use the sata adapters that come with the motherboard?

Here is the motherboard I want to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370200780159

I want to run an 8800 Graphics card on it (any brand), 2gb ram and up to 250GB HDD, will I need a higher PSU?

Will my PSU and that Mobo fit in one of these cases?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270381803593

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270389698050

If not, could you reccommend a case that is on ebay?

BTW, I don't understand I/O plates really, What if the back of my mobo doesn't look like it will fit into the back of the case?
(I know it sounds stupid but I have no clue on cases/PSU's lol)

And I know it probably wont support my P4 even at 2.4Ghz, and though its a 478, so could you also recommend a Processor that will work with this mobo that will offer me similar performance to my current P4.

So if anyone takes their time to read this, thank you very very much for any suggestions :D

You will definatly need a better PSU. That PSU will only power the lowest performing cards around. I recommend a decent 450watt PSU to run a 8800. And yes the mobo your looking at will fit in the cases you linked to. And the mobo should come with it's own I/O shield

Ok so the 775 CPUS may have me sold : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASROCK-4CORED...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

That looks quite interesting, if I held back on the graphics card for a while, and got one of those cases I mentioned, but I would get a cheap E2220 Cpu to level out the price.

So prices:

Mobo: around £70 total on ebay. (Probably find it at computer fair)
CPU: E2220 2.4Ghz D-Core Seen sell at around £20-30
Case: around £40 for most atx cases.

Total: £140 :p that seems ok but then the more and more I see of good deals on teh interwebs, the more uncertain I get :(

Back