PDA

View Full Version : [FEATURED] THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Pages : 1 [2] 3

donuts
02-15-10, 06:25 AM
Add a 9600gso to the list. From pretty colored checkerboard to crunching SETI.

Neural Net
02-19-10, 12:52 PM
Don't know if this has been posted before, but this is an occassion where the trick did not work (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18116589). :eek:

g0dM@n
02-19-10, 01:13 PM
Don't know if this has been posted before, but this is an occassion where the trick did not work (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18116589). :eek:

It's failed on me 3 out of 4 times. And the one time it worked for me didn't last that long (Xbox 360, so it's not surprising).

87dtna
02-19-10, 02:04 PM
Just wanna pop in here and say this works on motherboards as well.

Are you sure? :eek: :p

It worked for me on two 8800 gts's, both were dead....a 320mb and a 512mb G92 core. I sold the G80 core, and am writing to you now using the G92 one LOL.

However, I did try the oven trick on an 8600gt...I accidently let it in just 30 seconds too long and the solder melted to the point where the capacitors fell out....and as soon as they touched the hot metal underneath a couple of them blew up! Smoke filled my basement, harsh fumes, bleh. I think because it was a much smaller card, and I didn't take that into consideration. 375 degrees for 5 minutes only, I let it in 7 minutes and that was too long.

I use a small countertop toaster oven to roast my hardware (LOL).

madhatter256
02-19-10, 02:10 PM
Did the buyer know that card was baked before hand???

g0dM@n
02-19-10, 02:10 PM
It worked for me on two 8800 gts's, both were dead....a 320mb and a 512mb G92 core. I sold the G80 core, and am writing to you now using the G92 one LOL.

However, I did try the oven trick on an 8600gt...I accidently let it in just 30 seconds too long and the solder melted to the point where the capacitors fell out....and as soon as they touched the hot metal underneath a couple of them blew up! Smoke filled my basement, harsh fumes, bleh. I think because it was a much smaller card, and I didn't take that into consideration. 375 degrees for 5 minutes only, I let it in 7 minutes and that was too long.

I use a small countertop toaster oven to roast my hardware (LOL).

TOASTER OVEN?!! You newb!! :)
By your 8800s being DEAD, what do you mean... NO POST?

Man, I was so excited trying to oven trick every single time. It's sad it hasn't been helpful to me really. :(

My best success was using a heatgun on my 360s, but nothing ever lasts.

87dtna
02-19-10, 02:12 PM
TOASTER OVEN?!! You newb!! :)
By your 8800s being DEAD, what do you mean... NO POST?

Man, I was so excited trying to oven trick every single time. It's sad it hasn't been helpful to me really. :(

My best success was using a heatgun on my 360s, but nothing ever lasts.

LOL, not like a two slice toaster like you are thinking I guess. One like this one-

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&source=hp&q=toaster+oven&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10522195172453020952&ei=jfB-S46TDsKVtgeZ8ISoDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=7&ved=0CD4Q8gIwBg#

More like a convection oven.

Both just had no display.

g0dM@n
02-19-10, 02:18 PM
LOL, not like a two slice toaster like you are thinking I guess. One like this one-

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&source=hp&q=toaster+oven&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10522195172453020952&ei=jfB-S46TDsKVtgeZ8ISoDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=7&ved=0CD4Q8gIwBg#

More like a convection oven.

Both just had no display.
I know what you meant.
I never thought of using that, but I have a digital temp display on my oven so that's why I trust my REAL oven. hehe

I stunk up the kitchen a few nights ago and I asked my fiance if she minded... she's like I LOVE THAT SMELL OF ELECTRONICS!! What a weirdo!

I loveeee the smell of FRESH electronics, like a new mobo, not burnt parts!!

87dtna
02-19-10, 02:21 PM
I know what you meant.
I never thought of using that, but I have a digital temp display on my oven so that's why I trust my REAL oven. hehe

I stunk up the kitchen a few nights ago and I asked my fiance if she minded... she's like I LOVE THAT SMELL OF ELECTRONICS!! What a weirdo!

I loveeee the smell of FRESH electronics, like a new mobo, not burnt parts!!

You are a lucky man to have a woman like that. My wife flipped out when she saw what I was doing with our $30 toaster oven :blah:

and +1 for that new motherboard smell :comp:

Aman
02-20-10, 06:58 PM
I have just brought forth my dead 8800 GTS 640mb using the mighty oven. Saved me $93 from buying a new one. All hail oven trick.

Haste266
02-20-10, 09:38 PM
I have just brought forth my dead 8800 GTS 640mb using the mighty oven. Saved me $93 from buying a new one. All hail oven trick.

very nice. maybe all these success stories will get the manufacturers to up their game and then maybe we wont have to bake our cards so often. :santa:

my irc buddy just fixed his ps3 ylod by baking the mainboard in the oven...some pics here:

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x108/deaedius/PS3%20YLOD%20Fix/

antipesto93
02-21-10, 12:12 PM
^^ awsome, i baked my m8's rrod 360 for him and he paid me 20 :)

cozmo_d
02-22-10, 05:22 AM
so what is going on here then?

card was never dead to begin with?

poor solder contacts?

oven melts the solder remakes contacts?

antipesto93
02-22-10, 05:34 AM
oven melts the solder remakes contacts?

yup, .. i think the 'microscopic' solder joints slowly crack over time, due to thermal cycles and high gpu temps, most high end gpu's can run at 80+ in game
then by reheating it ...i guess it slowly melts, then joins, fixing the imperfections

similar/same as what happens to the xbox 360 RROD

cozmo_d
02-22-10, 05:46 AM
yup, .. i think the 'microscopic' solder joints slowly crack over time, due to thermal cycles and high gpu temps, most high end gpu's can run at 80+ in game
then by reheating it ...i guess it slowly melts, then joins, fixing the imperfections

similar/same as what happens to the xbox 360 RROD

Interesting

also take into consideration the stress that the aftermarket cooling products puts on the cards, I know mine is bent a lil by the zalaman cooler or should I say its being flexed ever so slightly, then add the temp and time

I may try the oven one day no need to now but good idea !!

FD123
02-28-10, 02:23 PM
Hi everyone :D I did the trick on an faulty XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition (the XXX one, a G92 with stock overclocked core at 670mhz and memory at 975mhz I think). The card got artifacts (vertical blue lines at boot, cant get to 3d mode, and stuff).

I baked it, and it revived :D except the temps were 75ºc AT IDLE O_o (put a cooler under the stock cooler and got to 65º idle, but in load went high, like 80 or more ºC)

Yesterday, stressing A LOT the vga, it started to get artifacts again, freezing the pc, rebooting, started with artifacts on the screen. After that, I tried ATITOOL a couple of times, getting artifacts and the pc crashing.

So I tried to get the core underclocked to 600mhz like all the 8800GT's, after doing that with atitool and going to benchmark it, it frozen again, but now its broken again :(

Probably im doing again the oven trick, but I dont know what to do. The stock heatsink covers also the memories and the voltage chips, and it isn't helping. I mean, maybe the mems are faulty and solving the temperature issue (for example getting an Accelero S1 for cooling the GPU) doesn't solve the problem. I don't want to buy that heatpipe and get the card broken again, but this time forever :(

What can I do to test furthermore the VGA (after put it on the oven it again) to find the problem, or what should I do to prevent the card stop working again?

I hope you understand me, maybe my english is not good enough, im from Argentina.

Thank you all! Without your help my 8800GT wouldn't had revived :D

antipesto93
02-28-10, 02:25 PM
i would try to oven it again, then also make sure you have thermal paste on the main core
like this ( but on the graphics card)
http://www.indium.com/_images/0811/dispensing_thermal_grease_on_cpu_thermal_interface _material_indium_corporation_amanda_hartnett.jpg

87dtna
02-28-10, 02:26 PM
Did you try turning up the fan speed? My baked 8800gts will idle at 74c, but turning the fan to a still silent 55% makes it idle at 43c. Although I guess it's too late now, try giving it the oven again I guess.

Sometimes after baking, they don't like getting hot again. So you have to cool them down.

FD123
02-28-10, 02:31 PM
WOOOOOOOW FAST ANSWERS :D

i would try to oven it again, then also make sure you have thermal paste on the main core
like this ( but on the graphics card)
http://www.indium.com/_images/0811/dispensing_thermal_grease_on_cpu_thermal_interface _material_indium_corporation_amanda_hartnett.jpg

yes, i put thermal paste on it, a gentle amount :)

Did you try turning up the fan speed? My baked 8800gts will idle at 74c, but turning the fan to a still silent 55% makes it idle at 43c. Although I guess it's too late now, try giving it the oven again I guess.

Sometimes after baking, they don't like getting hot again. So you have to cool them down.

Yeah, did that. with the fan at 75% it lowers to 65c, i think the heatsink is dirty or something, but i dont have the little screwdrivers to open and clean it. maybe while ovening it i clean it with water- nah, i dont want to break the fan (yet)

its extreme how much it heats :eek:

edit: ahh, one more thing. i oven'd it with the gpu facing down, should it be facing up? and did it for 9 minutes, its good?

87dtna
02-28-10, 02:37 PM
You should be able to just blow in it to clean it out decently. What thermal paste are you using? Are you sure you used enough? GPU's are typically a lot bigger than a CPU so they need more paste. How did you apply it?

FD123
02-28-10, 02:47 PM
its brand is "DELTA", its argentinian, but i think its decent. its aspect is rare, it isn't very liquid. but i think it works fine, because i put that same paste on my 8600gt and had no big change in temps.

the g92 isnt bigger than a cpu, its smaller i think

well, im trying the card in this pc before i oven it again

edit:

WTF IT WORKS

with atitool, at 65ºc started artifacting, yellow dots on the render cube thingy.

FD123
02-28-10, 06:36 PM
okay, i oven'd it and the artifacts are gone, everything is okay by now.

im getting an accelero s1 in this week and try to lower the temps, with 75% fan and an adittional cooler below throwing air directly to the stock heatsink i get 55ºc on idle

87dtna
02-28-10, 07:27 PM
its brand is "DELTA", its argentinian, but i think its decent. its aspect is rare, it isn't very liquid. but i think it works fine, because i put that same paste on my 8600gt and had no big change in temps.

the g92 isnt bigger than a cpu, its smaller i think

well, im trying the card in this pc before i oven it again

edit:

WTF IT WORKS

with atitool, at 65ºc started artifacting, yellow dots on the render cube thingy.

Oh do you have a 55nm 8800gt? The 65nm (majority) have 324 die size, the 55nm have 230.

FD123
03-01-10, 08:22 AM
hmm maybe you're right, because speccy (http://www.piriform.com/speccy) says this:

GeForce 8800 GT
GPU G92
Technology 65 nm
Die Size 330 mm²
GPU Clock 670 MHz
Memory Clock 975 MHz
Shaders 112 unified
Memory Type GDDR3
Memory 512 MB
Bus Width 256 Bit

Its an XFX Alpha Dog XXX.

thanks for your help :D when i get the accelero s1 i will post the temps

FD123
03-01-10, 04:55 PM
i got the accelero and installed it, but it didn't improve the temps, with a cooler below it it idles at 50ºc

i guess my case needs some extra fans (it has none lol)

theELVISCERATOR
03-03-10, 11:26 AM
getting ready to try this on a 9700 that started artifacting and checkerboarding..

wish me luck!

either didn't work or I have other issues.

Twister60
03-03-10, 07:03 PM
I remember this trick, I have a stack of 9xxx cards to fix.....

Time to FIRE THE OVENS!!!!

periguenio
03-05-10, 03:06 PM
Hi everyone :D I did the trick on an faulty XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition (the XXX one, a G92 with stock overclocked core at 670mhz and memory at 975mhz I think). The card got artifacts (vertical blue lines at boot, cant get to 3d mode, and stuff).

I baked it, and it revived :D except the temps were 75ºc AT IDLE O_o (put a cooler under the stock cooler and got to 65º idle, but in load went high, like 80 or more ºC)

Yesterday, stressing A LOT the vga, it started to get artifacts again, freezing the pc, rebooting, started with artifacts on the screen. After that, I tried ATITOOL a couple of times, getting artifacts and the pc crashing.

So I tried to get the core underclocked to 600mhz like all the 8800GT's, after doing that with atitool and going to benchmark it, it frozen again, but now its broken again :(

Probably im doing again the oven trick, but I dont know what to do. The stock heatsink covers also the memories and the voltage chips, and it isn't helping. I mean, maybe the mems are faulty and solving the temperature issue (for example getting an Accelero S1 for cooling the GPU) doesn't solve the problem. I don't want to buy that heatpipe and get the card broken again, but this time forever :(

What can I do to test furthermore the VGA (after put it on the oven it again) to find the problem, or what should I do to prevent the card stop working again?

I hope you understand me, maybe my english is not good enough, im from Argentina.

Thank you all! Without your help my 8800GT wouldn't had revived :D

Hey FD123 I'm from argentina too:), and I have the same video card;).... and I have the same problem:bang head, could you please give your msn so you can help me how to do it?:D

¿Para que te pregunto en ingles si podemos "hablar" asi?
¡¡Espero tu respuesta!!

antipesto93
03-05-10, 03:13 PM
Hey FD123 I'm from argentina too:), and I have the same video card;).... and I have the same problem:bang head, could you please give your msn so you can help me how to do it?:D

¿Para que te pregunto en ingles si podemos "hablar" asi?
¡¡Espero tu respuesta!!

oo i did a year of spanish at school....if that's Spanish i think it says

Why/What do i ask you about/speaking english
Look forward to your reply!!

i should mention i failed it :)

periguenio
03-05-10, 03:26 PM
oo i did a year of spanish at school....if that's Spanish i think it says

Why/What do i ask you about/speaking english
Look forward to your reply!!

i should mention i failed it :)

yeah you fail:D

it's something like this, but I was joking :rolleyes:... Hope you understand ;)
"Why I do ask you in english? (If we can "talk" in spanish)"

well... but I think you understand pretty good

albel65
03-07-10, 07:37 PM
So I would have no problem with a dead 9800, at least concerning the lead?

dark bishop
03-08-10, 02:14 PM
brb, baking an 8800gt

polarys425
03-08-10, 07:13 PM
brb, baking an 8800gt

I smell something burning. Did you miss your timer? Be more careful on the next one, and dont be afraid to mist it with some lemon butter and garlic. :p

jason4207
03-08-10, 09:30 PM
So I would have no problem with a dead 9800, at least concerning the lead?

That card should be RoHS compliant which means it contains no lead.

periguenio
03-09-10, 03:29 PM
it's secure trying to put the video card in a microwave?

someone has tried?

jason4207
03-09-10, 03:34 PM
it's secure trying to put the video card in a microwave?

someone has tried?

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!

You will destroy the card and microwave, and you might burn down your house.

DON'T EVER PUT ANYTHING METALLIC IN THE MICROWAVE!!!!

periguenio
03-10-10, 03:39 PM
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!

You will destroy the card and microwave, and you might burn down your house.

DON'T EVER PUT ANYTHING METALLIC IN THE MICROWAVE!!!!

OK:salute:, thank you so much, thank god that you answer before I did something stupid:thup:

albel65
03-11-10, 03:41 AM
That card should be RoHS compliant which means it contains no lead.
Awesome, thank you.

This means I can test my 9800 and my 9600. This also means that I'm not even going to attempt placing my MMX 440 in there.

jason4207
03-11-10, 10:19 AM
Awesome, thank you.

This means I can test my 9800 and my 9600. This also means that I'm not even going to attempt placing my MMX 440 in there.

Yep, unless you have a dedicated well ventilated oven you'll want to keep anything containing lead out of there. The last thing anyone wants is lead poisoning!

[AK]Zip
03-13-10, 01:01 PM
I wanted to mention 1 thing in this thread since it seems to be still more or less active. You can not say solder melts at 364F. Different solder composition melts at different temperatures. Some melt higher some melt lower. Also, there is no such thing as a solder joint so small that the human eye can't see.

There is more information I can provide, but I guess it isn't that big of a deal taking into consideration that when you are doing this your card is already non functional.

-Alex-

maddscientist82
03-30-10, 10:04 PM
ok i just registered to share my experiences and express my gratitude. Thanks! k. now.. my card is an EVGA 8800GT and I was playin Assassin's Creed and im almost positive thats what broke it. that games just WAAAY to buggy even after patches (ouch Ubi) it locked up as i loaded the last mission and rebooted. artifacts at post, NONE in safe mode.. wouldnt boot to win7 (with drivers installed) so i thought F* it.. anyway it worked and Im happy!
However id like to share with you another CRAzzy experience that ive had with hardware. a few years back i was watching an HD trailer of War of the Worlds on apple.com and i had the side panel open as i had recently been playin with it. i received my pizza and 2 liter of cherry coke that i had ordered and started to enjoy it. i reach for the coke and somehow it connects with the corner of my desk as punctures the bottle shooting a thin but steady stream of cherry coke outwards. in a state of panic i put DOWN the bottle, as i only had one hand free and i accidentally point the stream directly INTO my open and currently powered computer. hits the motherboard=snap.crackle.pop.fizz.DEAD. needless to say i cursed like a sailor. long story short almost in tears i call up my PC Veteran friend and he suggested i run all the wet parts under warm water as fast as i couldve since the coke would eat through the mobo if left uncleaned then let it dry for a few hours. expecting all of this to be futile, beyond all of my understanding of electronics (at the time) and to my amazement it booted and worked fine. now maybe i got lucky and it didnt get to fry any REAL important of the mobo but either way it worked. lol i love that story. anyway i hope this helps someone somehow :P aaandd im drunk...

dark bishop
03-31-10, 12:08 PM
oven trick worked, one working 8800gt, been folding sense it came out. i did manage to break 3 blades off the fan while i was re assembling it >.> so now it runs at 100% and rarely hits 70* and is still quieter than before XD

for the sake of longevity i do have it clocked down a bit but havent had any issues.

thideras
03-31-10, 02:23 PM
Trying this on a toasted 680i board tonight. I'll try to get pictures.

ChinStrap
03-31-10, 05:38 PM
Trying this on a toasted 680i board tonight. I'll try to get pictures.

please :)

i have a 680i that might need some of this too

thideras
03-31-10, 06:48 PM
Finished baking, not sure if it works.

http://thideras.com/images/projects/680i_bake/baked_680i_1.JPG

http://thideras.com/images/projects/680i_bake/baked_680i_2.JPG

http://thideras.com/images/projects/680i_bake/baked_680i_3.JPG

http://thideras.com/images/projects/680i_bake/baked_680i_4.JPG

http://thideras.com/images/projects/680i_bake/baked_680i_5.JPG

http://thideras.com/images/projects/680i_bake/baked_680i_6.JPG

For those wondering, the tinman did survive; although just barely.

Neuromancer
04-01-10, 12:03 PM
Zip;6431984']I wanted to mention 1 thing in this thread since it seems to be still more or less active. You can not say solder melts at 364F. Different solder composition melts at different temperatures. Some melt higher some melt lower. Also, there is no such thing as a solder joint so small that the human eye can't see.

There is more information I can provide, but I guess it isn't that big of a deal taking into consideration that when you are doing this your card is already non functional.

-Alex-

Ovens at work had to be raised to 400-420F IIRC after RoHS compliant solder was used. But those are brand new solder joints being put on. You less is more for repairs I would think.

madhatter256
04-01-10, 12:11 PM
As complex as a motherboard is, there can be components there that are more sensitive to heat and by putting them into an oven you can do more damage, but its worth a try if you don't care of the outcome.

I have seen capacitors pop when doing the oven trick.

RoHS solder is pretty much why this oven trick works. Take a look at the XBOX360.... it uses the same solder and that is why people get severe red rings, because the smd capacitance components slide off and short out the cpu/gpu.

The same with a video card. They get hot and when being inserted with the chips upside down, all it take is fluid solder to simply migrate off of the connector on the mainboard and why you might not get video or artifacting on the screen.

dknight
04-02-10, 01:32 AM
Just wanted to add my success also. This DOES work.

Had a EVGA Geforce 7600 GT start getting some artifacts today. I don't overclock or the like. (anymore :D) Since it was happening even at bios, I knew it was the card... Came looking here for ideas and saw this thread by chance...

Gas oven, 360ish degrees, 5 mins, 3 foil balls underneath, GPU facing up and card is working perfectly. I know this may be temporary, but who cares it saved a otherwise bad card.

So thanks to all for the information about this.

peperonikiller
04-07-10, 12:56 AM
I got a Nvidia Quadro 440 NVS from work that was fried and tried this oven trick. Works perfectly now. Stuck in in the oven for 10 minutes at 390Degrees.

I took pics after i took it out.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/Peperonikiller/Comp/SNC00008.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/Peperonikiller/Comp/SNC00009.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/Peperonikiller/Comp/SNC00010.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/Peperonikiller/Comp/SNC00012.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/Peperonikiller/Comp/SNC00013-1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/Peperonikiller/Comp/SNC00015-1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/Peperonikiller/Comp/SNC00018.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/Peperonikiller/Comp/gphx.png

Niku-Sama
04-07-10, 01:17 AM
huh this is some crazy ****, i might have to give this a shot with some of the old cards i have, aparently one i gave my dad broke, i'll see if he still has it

dustin1706
05-02-10, 12:57 AM
I have an 8800GTX, about 2.5 years old.
Took my vid card out to install some new W/c on my CPU and when I put the vid card back in the fan would spin, but no monitor outout :(

I took off the heatsink, baked for 10 mins @ 385, and it works flawlessly again!

HercTNT
05-08-10, 04:10 AM
You can add another believer to the list. I revived a dying 8800GT this way. Card runs much cooler as well.

dvheyden
05-08-10, 05:37 PM
My sons 8800gts KO died months ago. My 8800gts has been giving me problems. So I tried the oven trick on his which was completely dead and now it has been revived. I was soo happy I went to Frys to buy a SLI Bridge but they don't carry them :shrug:. And neither does NEWEGG. WTH. guess I'll have to shop around on the net. woot woot

johan851
05-08-10, 05:58 PM
That's why it's the oven trick. Sometimes it actually works. :)

yfyfyf
05-15-10, 01:07 PM
Hi all, just to write a quick report on my experiences on a ASUS HD4890:

Attempt 1: (fail)
-Preheat to 150C
-card in (covered plastic connectors with foil)
-3 mins
-up heat to 200C
-4 mins
-cool back to 150C
-2 mins
-air cool
Result: different (more) artifacts

Attempt 2: fail
- Preheat to 200C
- 8 mins (covered plastic ports)
- air cool
Result: no difference

hope this helps, and if somebody can shed light/advice, I would be most grateful

Benjoyo
05-25-10, 07:26 AM
Hi all, just want to thanks ya'll for this thread, I came across it and it gave me the idea (along with a you tube video of some dude using a mini blow torch) to bake my HP DV9000 mobo, as the NVIDIA did that well known fail stunt.
Anyways, 7-8 mins at 200c and it's back up and running! woohoo!
I'm probably going to take it apart again and do a copper plate mod to the GPU... I used OCZ FREEZE thermal paste, is this stuff any good? I know nothing about them, but I keep hearing ARTIC 5 is the best.
at the moment my core temps are 28c and the GPU is maxing 59c just doing internetz. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but maybe it is for these HP laptops? Also I may not have done the thermal pasting too well, as it was my first time.
Advice and suggestion welcomed!
Thanks again!
P.S any body done this with am XBOX 360? Does this fix the red rings of death?
Thanks

Benjoyo
05-25-10, 07:27 AM
I'm just doing a wild guess, but maybe the solder wasn't lead based??

redgreen
05-25-10, 01:24 PM
IMHO, that is a really bad idea.

Raypundo
05-25-10, 07:13 PM
8800 GTX died.

8 minutes @ 385 degrees F, and works again.

No issues so far after 2 days of gaming.

JigenJenkins
05-28-10, 05:14 AM
Just registered to confirm my success.

8800gts 320 was displaying artifacts for the last few days, then today my pc wouldn't boot at all.

Followed instructions, got card naked, baked for 9 minutes at 385* F, and here I am.

Moarfeene
06-05-10, 03:46 PM
I have also registered to confirm my success with the nVidia GeForce 7950GT from my Dell Inspiron XPS m1710.

Before baking, I had constant vertical lines and screen flickering.

When I baked, I baked at 385F (preheated) for 10 minutes and then afterwards let it cool outside of the oven for 1 hour on the dot. Putting it back in, I made sure to put a nice dot of Arctic Silver Ceramique on the heat spreader.

I am now enjoying playing Counter Strike Source on high at 1920x1200 with lower temps than before thanks to the ASC.

Thank you so much for finding the perfect duration/temperature for everything!

mrblah
06-07-10, 11:11 PM
Has anyone tried this with motherboards? Just kind of curious.

Will have a go at this with my 8800 Ultra. Too bad I just took it apart not more than 4 hours ago :D before a friend of mine directed me here. Here we go again!

Greywolf4
06-10-10, 07:46 AM
Hello everybody!
We run a laptop motherboard repair workshop in Greece and we sell repair service on ebay for damaged nvidia and ATI video boards and motherboards. I am making this post to inform everybody that the oven trick will cause permanent damage to your board. I had to make this post because many of our customers first try this trick and then send us their boards. most of these boards are permanently unrepairable after the trick but they would be repaired otherways. So this stupid trick waste our time and causes loss to us and to our customers. Yes if you try it on 100 boards you might get some of them to work but it will only be temporary ( a few days to a couple of weeks). If you really want to have your laptop working again please DON'T TRY THIS TRICK. Try to find someone around you who can do a real repair on it or search on ebay for a repair service. Our service starts for as low as 45Euro with all costs included but you might find someone else closer to you who can do a real job. Please don't try stupid tricks which will damage your computer permanently.
Thank you for reading this

Heat from gpu's will slowly deteriorate the solder joints that connect it to the board. This is why original nintendos will work 20 years, while an xbox 360 will last 2 years. It's all about how much heat is generated. When you bake it, you resolder these joints. However, solder is not something you can continually re-heat without repercussions--this is why the gpus fail in the first place. Like any metal it will become more brittle over time. So effectively this is a temporary solution unless you can improve the cooling in your gpu significantly afterwards.

You might be able to extend the life of the solder by adding more flux, which assists in the soldering process (I'm not sure how). Solder contains a certain amount of flux during manufacturing. To my understanding, it is an agent that causes solder to more effectively return to an ideal state after it resolidifies. So it may prevent solder from becoming more brittle from a reflow like described. Don't quote me on that. But I'm almost certain you should apply more flux before you bake your gpu. Maybe someone else has some more insight as to how/where/what type of flux to apply to a video card.

If you apply flux, the times/temperatures may not be same for baking as they would be if you didn't apply flux.

Also, different manufacturers use different solder. So unless you have data from experiments from other users (like people trying it on their 8800 gts), don't attempt to try the exact same process on, for example, some ati radeon. You could try to get a hold of someone at their factory.

Garrett_hardy
06-10-10, 08:08 AM
The reason flux makes solder more efficient and bind better is because of its vacuum properties and when it is burned/baked it makes a rough sticky surface for the solder to bind to. If you want to see what i mean, Take a cookie sheet, spray pam on it, put in oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, your whole pan will be covered in a honey/brown colored sticky and rigid surface. Pam is a non-toxic grease and flux material.

jason4207
06-10-10, 12:54 PM
Modern GPUs and RAM chips are soldered on using a Ball Grid Array (BGA) where the solder joints are all on the bottom surface of the chip. They used to use little legs all around the outside of the chip, and you could more easily get at each connection. With a BGA configuration I'm not sure that there would be an easy way to get flux where you need it w/o also completely removing the chip.

diaz
06-10-10, 09:33 PM
And you guys worry when your cards reach 95C when gaming lol..

Benjoyo
06-20-10, 10:55 AM
laptop still working fine a month later! w00t. Just wondering if anyone has successfully done this with an Xbox 360? I've just gotten hold of one with RROD, so I might try it out after a bit of research.

antipesto93
06-20-10, 11:11 AM
laptop still working fine a month later! w00t. Just wondering if anyone has successfully done this with an Xbox 360? I've just gotten hold of one with RROD, so I might try it out after a bit of research.

yup it worked for me!

i just purchased an opening kit of ebay ( kind of unnecessary)
stripped it down,
left only the motherboard, heatsink and metal chassis.

removed fans.
and it worked:)

Old Thrashbarg
06-20-10, 11:38 AM
Another for the list of successes: HP Laserjet 2015. That model is pretty infamous for the formatter boards going bad, but 10 minutes at ~390F got the board back up and operational... it's been running fine for 2 weeks now.

Rmelz
06-20-10, 01:15 PM
Heat from gpu's will slowly deteriorate the solder joints that connect it to the board. This is why original nintendos will work 20 years, while an xbox 360 will last 2 years. It's all about how much heat is generated. When you bake it, you resolder these joints. However, solder is not something you can continually re-heat without repercussions--this is why the gpus fail in the first place. Like any metal it will become more brittle over time. So effectively this is a temporary solution unless you can improve the cooling in your gpu significantly afterwards.

You might be able to extend the life of the solder by adding more flux, which assists in the soldering process (I'm not sure how). Solder contains a certain amount of flux during manufacturing. To my understanding, it is an agent that causes solder to more effectively return to an ideal state after it resolidifies. So it may prevent solder from becoming more brittle from a reflow like described. Don't quote me on that. But I'm almost certain you should apply more flux before you bake your gpu. Maybe someone else has some more insight as to how/where/what type of flux to apply to a video card.

If you apply flux, the times/temperatures may not be same for baking as they would be if you didn't apply flux.

Also, different manufacturers use different solder. So unless you have data from experiments from other users (like people trying it on their 8800 gts), don't attempt to try the exact same process on, for example, some ati radeon. You could try to get a hold of someone at their factory.
Thats not what flux is for at ALL. All the flux does is help the solder flow, and stick. Solder does NOT get brittle over time. I have been a plumber for many years, and I solder daily. Soldering with a soldering iron, or with a torch, it doesn't matter. It's the same principle. More flux = More MESS. You should always use as little flux as possible to accomplish your goal. Have you ever looked at a copper water line and noticed it has solder running down the pipe? Thats because to much flux was used. Now imagine if that happens to your video card!!!

m0r7if3r
06-20-10, 01:41 PM
Thats not what flux is for at ALL. All the flux does is help the solder flow, and stick. Solder does NOT get brittle over time. I have been a plumber for many years, and I solder daily. Soldering with a soldering iron, or with a torch, it doesn't matter. It's the same principle. More flux = More MESS. You should always use as little flux as possible to accomplish your goal. Have you ever looked at a copper water line and noticed it has solder running down the pipe? Thats because to much flux was used. Now imagine if that happens to your video card!!!

ee major in training here to report that what you're saying is correct, flux strengthens solder joints by boiling on contact (since it has the lowest melting point of anything in the solder) and its stickyness grabs impurites on the surface that you are soldering on, then as the metals are liquefied, these sink down to the bottom and replace the flux, which now contains most of the dirt off the soldering surface, (think oil and water, but with lead and rosin) forming a bond to the soldering surface that has been freshly cleaned. Unless you can figure a way to get the flux under the solder, there is no benefit to adding it to your board...just my 2 cents based on my understanding.

Old Thrashbarg
06-20-10, 03:48 PM
Heat from gpu's will slowly deteriorate the solder joints that connect it to the board. This is why original nintendos will work 20 years, while an xbox 360 will last 2 years. It's all about how much heat is generated.

Erm... not really. Heat does play into it, but it's more to do with the heating and cooling cycles on the tiny surfaces of generally crappy RoHS solder that's already fairly brittle to begin with.

The reason original Nintendos will work after 20 years, while an Xbox dies after two, is more due to the fact that they use entirely different kinds of solder, and the Nintendo had larger parts with a lot more solder. Chunky through-hole mounts are a lot tougher to break than tiny BGA points. (And, BTW, I've had to repair broken solder joints in several old Nintendos, even so.)

Benjoyo
06-21-10, 10:05 AM
yup it worked for me!

i just purchased an opening kit of ebay ( kind of unnecessary)
stripped it down,
left only the motherboard, heatsink and metal chassis.

removed fans.
and it worked:)

hey antipesto93, can you go through_exactly_how you did it? As there are way too many guides on the net and I have no idea which way to go?? Did you wrap yours in t-shirts and tin foil? Or did you just bake it naked?
At first I was going to bake mine how I did my laptop, at 200c for 8 mins on a baking tray with balls of tin foil under it... but now I'm not sure! Hope you can help!

CYB34
06-22-10, 06:18 PM
I got a BFG 9800GTX OC behaving similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bcb1FQ7g3w

Before baking it I'd like to know if people who succeeded had similar artifacts / behavior. I can boot in safe mode or normal mode without drivers (with artifacts, thin irregular horizontal lines). I cannot install the latest nvidia driver, "hardware doesnt match" error.

People who couldnt make the card work in the oven, please post more details about the problem you had - artifacts, booting (successful or safe mode only) / drivers working or not.

antipesto93
06-23-10, 01:36 AM
I got a BFG 9800GTX OC behaving similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bcb1FQ7g3w

Before baking it I'd like to know if people who succeeded had similar artifacts / behavior. I can boot in safe mode or normal mode without drivers (with artifacts, thin irregular horizontal lines). I cannot install the latest nvidia driver, "hardware doesnt match" error.

People who couldnt make the card work in the oven, please post more details about the problem you had - artifacts, booting (successful or safe mode only) / drivers working or not.

hey thats normal, because of the currupt memory etc the card is not recognised.
it useually works in safe mode because no drivers are required.
i have fixed alot that have the exact same symptoms

Benjoyo
06-23-10, 12:31 PM
Hey antipesto93,
Did you bake ur xbox exactly the same as the video carD? at 200c for 8 mins on tin foil balls? Or did u wrap it in t-shirts and foil and only expose the GPU as online tutorials seem to do?

thanks

antipesto93
06-23-10, 12:51 PM
Hey antipesto93,
Did you bake ur xbox exactly the same as the video carD? at 200c for 8 mins on tin foil balls? Or did u wrap it in t-shirts and foil and only expose the GPU as online tutorials seem to do?

thanks

i just put it all in the obven on a tray of foil

u dont need balls because there is no danger of shorting anythign ( beacuse the motherboard is on a metal shell/casing/plate
yeah 8-10 mins gas mark 6

CYB34
06-24-10, 03:31 PM
Well the oven trick didn't work for me. I get a black screen now and the monitor is looking for a signal (analog - digital).

Nothing fried or melted though. No smoke in the oven either, going for a second try.

2nd edit:

Second bake was face down at 200C for 7 min and IT'S ALIVE! Freaking amazing.

Benjoyo
06-24-10, 10:35 PM
i just put it all in the obven on a tray of foil

u dont need balls because there is no danger of shorting anythign ( beacuse the motherboard is on a metal shell/casing/plate
yeah 8-10 mins gas mark 6

cool thanks. I'll give it a go. I was just concerned coz there is TOO much out there on repairing xbox 360's, and they are all conflicting. The only baking tutes I saw required wrapping it in T-shirts and foil to protect the plastic bits, so I was a little worried about just putting it straight in, but I trust you!
I'll give it a go in a few days and report back. :thup:

Xizel
06-28-10, 09:08 AM
5 minutes @ 385 and 8800 GS works again.

AlienAndy
06-29-10, 06:20 PM
Guys, just read this entire thread. First of all congratulations to those who have fixed their cards.

I do bring with me some advice on keeping them working though.

Many years ago I worked for a company soldering cross over boards for loudspeakers. Now these were not cheap run of the mill speakers they started at a thousand pounds a set and quickly went northward.

Any way as a part of my job I did soldering. This included using a solder well and a flux bath. In order for things to work you first needed to dip the wires into the flux bath and then into the solder well. What does this have to do with the thread?

Well, firstly flux contains acid. This is why (even though it smells really nice as it burns) you should not inhale it. Secondly flux is basically an epoxy. It's super sticky and like the guy who posted about plumbing said allows the solder to adhere to the contact. Without it the lead will ball up and roll around and will not stick.

Now. I know this has been argued but I am here to say otherwise. Solder joints over time (especially when hot) will break down. The reason? the flux deteriorates. The lead does not of course but the flux does. This is what we referred to as dry joints. The fix for this was to not only reflow the circuit but to also add flux. This revived the solder and cleaned it allowing it to make better contact and conductivity.

Today I brought a GPU on ebay (an 8800u) it is listed as having a buggered DVI port but that doesn't matter, if one works and the card works? jobby done. However I noticed looking through his feedback that this guy has brought and sold a TON of graphics cards. So he must be repairing them yes? Also, he has 521 positive feedback so he must have got them all functioning 100% with no failure rates.

The answer to this lay in reading ALL of his feedback (which took me over an hour). I noticed he is buying bottles of, and I quote -

Liquid solder flux BGA reballing repair NO CLEAN ROHS

And has, over the last 8 months, purchased three of these.

Now. I have noticed on here a good few people getting their cards working and then them failing again shortly afterward. However as I said, this dude has 521 posi feedback and not a single negative.

I've also noticed the sheer ammount of dead cards he has brought, and them back up for sale shortly afterward. And again, not a single failure or bad feedback.

The last piece of my investigation led me to a notebook forum where guys were reflowing their HP laptops. Four of them tried, four of them succeeded. Apparently beforehand the problem was a recall from HP and they were out of warranty.

All of them used liquid flux and I quote -

"Before I put it in the oven I sprayed the liquid flux under the Nvidia GPU"

And none of them have failed since.

Also keep in mind, when I had back crossover boards that were 20 years old for repair I reflowed them using flux and I think one came back with a blown resistor. But, that was down to another faulty component due to age. It did not come back for repair, only a reflow.

Dry solder is the enemy here chaps. You can keep reflowing it all you like but if the flux (acid and epoxy) has broken down it will just fail again and again. Solder is too soft on its own and the flux keeps it hard.

GOOD SOLDER needs a dob of solder in order to get it flowing. The reason for this is simple - the flux forms a cap around the outside (orangey brown) and heat alone can not break it. You need to melt some solder into it to get it moving.

Thanks for reading and good luck in the future !

AA

jason4207
06-30-10, 02:07 PM
Guys, just read this entire thread. First of all congratulations to those who have fixed their cards.

I do bring with me some advice on keeping them working though.

Thanks for reading and good luck in the future !

AA

:welcome:

Great info man!

I'll have to get some of that liquid flux. Do you have any idea on how much to use (and can you use too much)? I've only ever used solder with flux already in it.

AlienAndy
07-01-10, 04:06 AM
:welcome:

Great info man!

I'll have to get some of that liquid flux. Do you have any idea on how much to use (and can you use too much)? I've only ever used solder with flux already in it.

Sadly no. I'm pretty sure that flux is heat activated though. I would imagine the heat causes a reaction and it cures. Also I would imagine it's a one shot deal given that spraying it over the board will cause it to create a film over the card.

Might be an idea to get a piece of PCB from an old piece of hardware and experiment with it though. Like, spray some flux over it and put it in the oven for the reccomended times and see what you are left with.

I remember some mornings at the speaker company I would be a bit tired (ahh, the days before I discovered filter coffee haha) and forget to dip the wires in flux first. All that would happen was the solder well would bubble and the wires came out with no solder on them.

So flux is vital to make it stick.

This thread really has sparked the scientist in me though. I really must get a hold of a toaster oven and play around with it.

AlienAndy
07-01-10, 04:17 AM
O.K more digging. The solder he is buying is

Liquid solder flux BGA reballing repair NO CLEAN ROHS

ROHS is apparently some kind of safety standard for electronics...

BGA means halogen free and water based apparently. With resin like qualities. So it's possible that they are not actual resin any more.

I would imagine reballing repair means reballing solder joints. Make sure you get the right stuff.. This guy obviously knows what he is doing with it.. I would ask, but he's not going to let the cat out of the bag I feel..

AlienAndy
07-01-10, 04:26 AM
Ah yes here we go. This was the sort of scale I used to work on so we used to reflow with just a solder iron.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/timmahtiburon/ClimateControlSolderJointRepair.jpg

Note the dry joint? that's due to flux degradation. Also note the browny orange around the others? That's the flux cured and it's rock hard. Over time it becomes brittle if heat is involved and will crack and break. Especially with pressure on it. A GPU is soldered around a square meaning when the board bows and twists (which it will, it will contract and expand) eventually it pulls them loose.

Also, I would try putting pressure on the GPU itself when reflowing. I would imagine when baked (during the manufacturing process) that the components fall into the solder under their own weight. However, when the board is ever so slightly bowed they will need slight pressure to press them back into the molten solder.. Why not try putting a couple of coins (quarters or 2ps) on the gpu when you do this? Also maybe a penny on each of the memory blocks and quarters (2ps) on the RAMDAC.

I would strongly imagine it is only the GPU in this. It has the most solder joints and it gets the hottest.

jason4207
07-01-10, 03:14 PM
ROHS has to do w/ lead-free solder. Not as easy to work with, but it is the new standard. It also means we can safely put these cards in the oven w/o worry of lead poisoning.

BGA is Ball Grid Array. It is a method of soldering attachment. The chips used to have little legs all around their outside that attached them to the PCB. Now they use BGA so that there can be more connections in the same area and the lengths between components can also be reduced. Think of BGA as the bottom of a CPU with all those pads. Imagine putting little dabs of solder on each of those pads and then placing the chip on a PCB that has matching pads. Put it in a heat bath, and all connections are made.

But as you mentioned the problem w/ this method is that it is easier for the joints to fail over time due to the heating and cooling cycles and the way that metal and PCB material expand/contract at different rates under different temps. Also the flex that can be applied to the PCB because of the heatsink or PCIe slot. And it's also a lot harder to get to those joints again easily for repair.

My main concern is getting enough flux under the GPU for this to work right since you can't see where the flux is running to. It's a VERY tight space under there! But perhaps under heat, the solder will wick up the flux like a sponge.

AlienAndy
07-01-10, 03:27 PM
It's a VERY tight space under there! But perhaps under heat, the solder will wick up the flux like a sponge.

I would imagine so yes. IIRC you get 45 days or so to leave feedback on Ebay. Some may be trusting enough to see the card working and then leave feedback but others would thrash it for the 45 days first (me being one :D )

Apparently the flux he is buying is a spray. That would indicate it being very watery so it shouldn't be too hard to get under there.

7AIR28
07-02-10, 06:26 PM
hmmmm wondering if i should give this a go with my 9600gt

AlienAndy
07-04-10, 06:25 AM
Well if you gots nothing to lose and everything to gain then why not?

Just make sure it isn't still in warranty. If not and you have a dead card and the chance of fixing it then go for it :)

g0dM@n
07-08-10, 03:45 PM
I may have to try this out with one of my 3 dead xbox 360s lol

antipesto93
07-08-10, 03:55 PM
I may have to try this out with one of my 3 dead xbox 360s lol

wow how does one end up with so many dead xbox's!

I have tried the trick on two of them, worked 1 time, not the other

g0dM@n
07-08-10, 04:03 PM
wow how does one end up with so many dead xbox's!

I have tried the trick on two of them, worked 1 time, not the other

I revived them but they always ended up dying again.
When the 360 was still new, I had 2 of them: one @ my parents' (I used to live with them 3 yrs ago), and one @ my fiance's (girlfriend @ the time).

Both died. I still have those same two.

Then, a friend of mine sold me a dead 360 and some accessories. I sold the accessories and the dead 360 only ended up costing me like $20. I figured it was worth it with the power brick.

I got it just to mess around... I played and had fun, learned some things then finally gave up.

I keep telling myself to fix them again, but they just keep dying... so, they have recently been collecting dust.

I had 2 other 360s now (newer) that have been living (Thank God)...

Oh, and I have my brother's dead 360 (falcon)... it's not the 3RLOD... it's the kind where it looks like it works, you hear audio, but no video. Microsoft won't take it back b/c it's a little over a yr passed the 1-yr mark. They won't put it through the 3-yr warranty b/c it's not a red light!!!!! How stupid!!

CYB34
07-10-10, 02:14 AM
16 days since "The Fix" and the card is running smooth.

I must say I installed a 120mm fan (output) right next to it, temps are now ~64C full load. I think that's pretty good for a 9800GTX - the beast must survive the summer!

AlienAndy
07-10-10, 12:13 PM
Well, my 8800u died today during a heavy Fallout 3 session. Might try this myself though I have a bad feeling its already been done.

AlienAndy
07-10-10, 02:18 PM
Well in it went. 190c fan asst oven for ten minutes.

Went to reassemble it and noticed that none of the ram had thermal pads. After putting the sink back on I could see bloody daylight through the heatsink above the ram.

I did test the card and it still initialises in bios, but that's as far as I am prepared to take it tests wise until I get the pads I have ordered. What kind of peanut fixes a graphics card then just puts thermal grease on in place of thermal pads? what a dickhead.

turbohans
07-17-10, 09:27 PM
Well, my 8800u died today during a heavy Fallout 3 session. Might try this myself though I have a bad feeling its already been done.

LOL I am about to throw my 9800gt in the oven for like the third time! I guessed on the temps the first couple times because I only have dial up now where I'm at. I had it set at like 250 the first couple times and went from artifacts on the post screen and not being able to boot windows to working fine. I just need a few more months out this card so im going to bump the oven temp up (after finally reading this) and throw her in again.

EDIT: WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!

antipesto93
07-22-10, 08:41 AM
does it work for newer cards? GTX 260?

turbohans
07-22-10, 09:33 PM
does it work for newer cards? GTX 260?

I would amagine, just make sure to take it totally apart first. I didnt see no real obvious problems with mine after i did that and threw it in,, it's still kickin too. ;)

Bobnova
07-22-10, 09:52 PM
I resurrect a x800GTO2 with a heat gun last month. Gotta love it!

Given how my house smelled after doing my mobo (turned out to be a bent pin, oops) i won't be doing it in my oven again.

I.M.O.G.
07-22-10, 09:58 PM
Hey, you are supposed to be taking good care of that gto2!

Kinda wishing I would have fixed the cooling myself now - tried playing 1080p on my desktop the other day and it didn't go so well, guessing its your old card is too weak, but haven't had time to look into it yet. :D

AlienAndy
07-23-10, 05:13 AM
Hal-le-lu-jah

After spending an entire month trying to track down some thermal pads to see if my bake worked I finally found some. I decided on 1.5mm Phobya pads. The original pads are like fibreglass with compound mixed in them and tend to fall apart and get all messy. So the Phobya pads are where it's at. They cost me a tenner, but tbh even if the card was fubar I just wanted it back in one piece.

Here are the pads installed.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/timmahtiburon/1-8.jpg

And you'll never guess what...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/timmahtiburon/furmark-1.jpg

Have repasted the card with OCZ Freeze and am now idling at 56c and Furmarking in the 70s with fan on 100%. Very happy.

Now to share my technique.

Firstly I don't agree with using foil balls. Bad bad idea. If the failure was because of a loose component solder joint on the back of the card gravity will actually make it worse. Thus, I just covered a cookie sheet with foil (dull side up) and placed my card on it. It doesn't stick at all.

Also, I decided to use a technique I have not seen any one else use. I am pretty sure the BGA under my GPU chip itself was what was to blame. So, I took about twenty 2p coins (quarters are the same size and weight roundabouts) and wrapped them in foil making a wrap like the ones you get from the bank. At that stage I stood the coins on the GPU whilst baking. Now I know gravity will allow the components to fall into the solder, but if the PCB has warped then some gentle pressure is needed.

Results as above, card passes with flying colours. I have, however, decided not to use it. Basically the 3870x2 I replaced it with (for 55 quid) kicks its ass in Fallout 3 and has never been tampered with. Also, the 8800u I have is the superclocked KO edition from EVGA and sports the back fin. This stops me fitting my sound card.

Any way, cheers for all the posts here, very useful stuff :)

NobleX13
07-28-10, 08:57 PM

No, but I reflow them with a ~$100 hot air rework station from fleabay and it works great.

polarys425
07-28-10, 09:06 PM
No, but I reflow them with a ~$100 hot air rework station from fleabay and it works great.

Care to link to one like you bought?

Thanks

baberpervez
07-29-10, 11:47 PM
So given the 12 pages of success on here and seeing people even making youtube videos of this process, I decided to give it a try.

The owner of 2 x 7900 GTs (both do not post even to the bios)
And the owner of 2 x 8800GTs.

Apparently BFG video cards aren't exactly high quality people say, especially the ram chips, so eventually all of these cards died over the course of four years.

I have one sent to BFG as an RMA (8800GT) and just recently the other 8800GT stopped producing any 3d. The system would crash whenever anything 3d is used, either it be a youtube video, game (just starting one up), or heck not even Windows 7 Aero. I had to disable Aero through safemode in order to get into the operating system.

But the two 7900GTs had died quite a few years ago (around 2), and of course seeing that there is no RMA left, why not?

Used aluminum trays for both, preheated the oven to 340 F (185 C) and left each in there for a full 8 minutes (almost 9).

Let them both cool for an hour after they were brought out of the oven after which reattached the heatsinks. I reattached the heatsinks with some toothpaste (tiny drop) to the GPU processor.

Going to test both 7900GTs.. will let everyone know what happens.
(this is so exciting!!!)

************Edit:***************************
Alright, so here we go for all those avid, fellow overclocker community friends of mine. Here are the results.

Both 7900 GTs, each individually baked for 8.5 minutes, were dead before the experiment and were still DEAD after the experiment. Like someone previously mentioned, baking a video card to put pressure on the electric conduction of the ram chips does one no good when the power of the card fails to even turn on in the first place. You can have a perfectly good working card with the GPU and RAM functioning, but if the power component has failed no amount of baking is going to fix it.

As so what was in this case. Neither GT's would boot up into the BIOS before or after the experiment.

However the 8800GT provided some astounding results! Like I mentioned previously the card would crash anytime you'd run anything 3d (i.e. movies, youtube, even Windows 7 Aero, nvidia 3d preview with the control panel). I suspected it to be a RAM issue as the problem starting occuring only intermittently over the past few months. You'd be gaming for an hour with an intensive game (CoD: World at War in this case) and you'll see artificats on the screen along with a concurrent crash/unresponiveness of the system. It got progressively worse (half an hour versus an hour) over the past few weeks until it reached its point where it wouldn't play anything 3d.
Apparently BFG 8800GTs have been known to have that problem as my other GT is sitting in the RMA as we speak for a more severe problem (card wont' even be recognized). Anyways back to the experiement:

So I took off the heatsink and the fan from the unit (the fan connector was a pain), cleaned off any sticky residue left on the ram chips by the cooling cloth built on the heatsink, and popped it into the oven for exactly 9 minutes.

Here are the details for those that want to mirror what I did.

1) The positioning of the card in the oven itself is important. You want to place it right in the middle of the oven, not near the top or the bottom grills. The closer you keep it to either grill, the more that side will be exposed to excessive heat. So you may think that the oven is sitting at 200 Celcius but in reality that side of the card will be exposed to a much higher temperature due to the closer placement to the girl. So in other words, keep the card right in the middle of the oven, not too close to any grill.

2) Rather than using rolled up aluminum balls or even aluminum foil, I simply placed the card on an aluminum tray. You can get these trays from any dollar store, typically used to make lasagne. Didn't use any prongs, any standups, and rolled up balls. Rather, simply placed it in the tray with the RAM and GPU facing up (transistors on the top). The bottom side was resting on the tray. I'd take a picture of it for ya guys if you're still confused on the placement. But it didn't involve anything fancy at all.

3) Preheated the oven to 200 Celcius - 350 Faranheit for a good 10 minutes.

4) Placed the card in there, closed the oven lid, and left it in there for exactly 9 minutes.

5) Turned off the oven and opened the oven door. I did not remove the tray from the oven, just left it there with the card while the heat dissipated from the oven.

6) Removed the card from the oven after half an hour, left it to cool in the tray outside on the table for another half hour, reassembled the heatsink along with some Artic Silver 5 thermal grease on the GPU. (You'd want to remove all the existing paste with isopropyl alchohol first). Reattached all the screws.

Reinstalled the card back into the computer. Result? No glitches, no artifacts, movies working, Aero working, nvidia 3d preview working, great! How about gaming?

Let my brother play DoTA for a good 2 hours, no problem. Left the computer on the whole night with nvidia's 3d preview, woke up, still running.
Running so well that I think that even after 3-4 hours of gaming it shouldn't crash! I yet have to do that though, game for an extensive couple of hours to see if it's stable. But so far so good.

Note: the card is 2 years old and even though I could'ved RMA'd it, BFG has a policy of requiring that you still have your original purchase receipt, which I don't. And to bother with the process, to wait for a month, all for a mere $100 card (Canadian) really wasn't worth it. I figured if it fried cause of my experiement I might as well just get a 460. So I did take the risk. TRY TO RMA IT FIRST IF YOU'RE STILL UNDER WARRANTY! THIS IS A LAST RESORT OPTION!

Will redit the note after a few days/months to let you all know how it pans out for the long term. Cheers

nd4spdbh2
08-01-10, 01:45 PM
OK so i got a dead 9800gt i got from work.... gots a coupla questions.

1. Which way do you face the card.... IE with the gpu and ram chips facing up or down.

2. When the 8minutes is up should i pull the card out ... or simply just turn off the oven to let the card cool down (like they do with ceramics so they dont crack?)

3. Instead of the tinfoil balls could i use screws to prop it up like this? (obviously the screws n nuts wont be touching anything with solder on em.... just didnt know if there was a purpose for the tinfoil balls.)

thideras
08-01-10, 01:58 PM
Components facing up unless you want to remove everything on the board. That stand will work fine. Temp wise, I turned the oven off and opened the door just a little bit to let it cool down slowly.

nd4spdbh2
08-01-10, 08:31 PM
Components facing up unless you want to remove everything on the board. That stand will work fine. Temp wise, I turned the oven off and opened the door just a little bit to let it cool down slowly.

awesome thats what i figured.... would i have any probs with the components on the back of the card falling off? most of them are super light... unlike the actual gpu core n chokes on the front side of the card.

nd4spdbh2
08-02-10, 08:57 PM
Just an update....

ADD ANOTHER TO THE SUCCESS STORY LIST!!! Got a half workin 9800gt 512mb from work.... would have tons of artifacts on post screen and weird random lines in windows.... Baked at 380-400*F (checked with in oven thermometer) for 8 minutes.... turned off the oven and opened the door half way and let the card / oven cool down for a good 30 min before touching it...

Now no artifacts what so ever... even fully stressed by furmark.

Question on the 9800gt 512's 65nm..... do they have 2d and 3d clocks... cus it seems like mine is always maxed out... and second is the stock cooling on these reference 9800gt's as bad as this.... idles at mid to low 70*c loads at 86-87*c but sounds like a jet taking off!

GIXXERGUY6
08-02-10, 09:14 PM
I have a gx2 that has a defunked gpu(just one)

It won't display or fold, windows won't recognize it either.

Will the oven trick work? Should I seperate the 2 cards? Can I seperate the 2 cards?

Please help answer this question. I want all 6 of my gpu's rocking out with some F@H

nd4spdbh2
08-02-10, 09:33 PM
I have a gx2 that has a defunked gpu(just one)

It won't display or fold, windows won't recognize it either.

Will the oven trick work? Should I seperate the 2 cards? Can I seperate the 2 cards?

Please help answer this question. I want all 6 of my gpu's rocking out with some F@H

its worth a shot!

you should definitely separate the 2 cards so when you bake them all the components are facing up.

GIXXERGUY6
08-02-10, 09:43 PM
its worth a shot!

you should definitely separate the 2 cards so when you bake them all the components are facing up.

That's what I was thinking. I should just bake the gpu that isn't working correct? They are both INDIVIDUAL cards accept for the SLI..

Before I do this I'm going to uninstall all 3 cards and try the faulty card in each slot to make sure something isn't screwy.

Then I'll bake.

nd4spdbh2
08-02-10, 10:39 PM
That's what I was thinking. I should just bake the gpu that isn't working correct? They are both INDIVIDUAL cards accept for the SLI..

Before I do this I'm going to uninstall all 3 cards and try the faulty card in each slot to make sure something isn't screwy.

Then I'll bake.

ya i would only bake the half card that needs it. No point to subject something to such high heat if it dont need it.

And note... my 9800gt 512 is still working like a champ.... powered down and let it cool completly down, then started up and instantly started furmark... and shes chuggin long like a champ.

jason4207
08-03-10, 05:48 PM
Question on the 9800gt 512's 65nm..... do they have 2d and 3d clocks... cus it seems like mine is always maxed out... and second is the stock cooling on these reference 9800gt's as bad as this.... idles at mid to low 70*c loads at 86-87*c but sounds like a jet taking off!

G92 runs at the same 3D clocks all the time. But that is pretty hot for that card. Is the HS mounted well?

I've got a 8800GTS-512 in my HTPC, and I mounted the smaller 8800GT cooler on it. I also reduced the GPUv down to 1.00v using it's BIOS. It's still stable at stock clocks like this, but nothing higher. Temps max out in the low 70's under load, and the fan also peaks at around 70% at these temps. Can't ever hear it except for the 1 or 2 secs during boot when the fan runs at 100%.

nd4spdbh2
08-03-10, 06:40 PM
G92 runs at the same 3D clocks all the time. But that is pretty hot for that card. Is the HS mounted well?

I've got a 8800GTS-512 in my HTPC, and I mounted the smaller 8800GT cooler on it. I also reduced the GPUv down to 1.00v using it's BIOS. It's still stable at stock clocks like this, but nothing higher. Temps max out in the low 70's under load, and the fan also peaks at around 70% at these temps. Can't ever hear it except for the 1 or 2 secs during boot when the fan runs at 100%.

i might try remounting it... but its a VERY small cooler for the 65nm 9800gt.... it idles at like 74*C @ 30% fan and loads at 86*C at 90-100% fan.... and its not like the HS isnt getting hot due to bad mounting... the thing gets SCALDING... id bet if i put my zalman VF900 on it temps would drop a whole lot!

Honestly i think it has the original 8800gt cooler on it... the one with the small fan, before they switched over to using the larger one.

jason4207
08-03-10, 09:06 PM
i might try remounting it... but its a VERY small cooler for the 65nm 9800gt.... it idles at like 74*C @ 30% fan and loads at 86*C at 90-100% fan.... and its not like the HS isnt getting hot due to bad mounting... the thing gets SCALDING... id bet if i put my zalman VF900 on it temps would drop a whole lot!

Honestly i think it has the original 8800gt cooler on it... the one with the small fan, before they switched over to using the larger one.

Gotta love that backwards engineering!

nd4spdbh2
08-03-10, 09:38 PM
Gotta love that backwards engineering!

lol.... too be completely honest... alls i think they did was took an original 8800gt they had laying around.... and changed the bios identifier to 9800gt instead of 8800gt.... cus lookin in the bios, the boot screen would read 8800gt LOL.

O well... flashed the bios so that the lowest fan setting is 50% and lowered the voltage from 1.05 to 1.00 which helps some but not a whole lot.... damn crappy 1 slot cooling!

Regardless.... the card is still chuggin along strong after i baked it... have yet to see one artifact.

For s and g's i ran a 3dmark06 run... the stock 9800gt that i got for free, paired with a e3300 and mobo combo i got for 42 bucks, with 2x1gb of ddr2 667 mhz ram which was also free, in a free case, with a 20 dollar antec earth watts 430.... the 62 dollar system scored a good 10-15% higher than my main rig did when i built it with its 8800gts 640... and i paid 2200 for it back in the day :bang head

GIXXERGUY6
08-07-10, 11:07 AM
Wish me luck!!!

top gpu of 1st of 3 cards going in the oven in a few minutes!

I used nd4spdbh2 idea and used screws to prop the card up off of the cookie sheet.

3mm diameter by about that long :D(little shorter than his but still a good 1.5" of space)

I'll report back later

GIXXERGUY6
08-07-10, 01:14 PM
Oven trick worked 1 out of 3. I think that the 2 are just jacked up. Now that I see it and think about it, those 2 are previously baked as the light on the I/O plate and the power connector are brown.

Shadowlid
08-10-10, 09:38 PM
Just put mine in the oven. Didn't have any video when i boot but on board graphics work. So i followed the guide and we will see whats happens. Ill post later on tonight and see if it worked or not.

nd4spdbh2
08-10-10, 09:53 PM
Wish me luck!!!

top gpu of 1st of 3 cards going in the oven in a few minutes!

I used nd4spdbh2 idea and used screws to prop the card up off of the cookie sheet.

3mm diameter by about that long :D(little shorter than his but still a good 1.5" of space)

I'll report back later

ya i used 6/32nd screws and they actually threaded themselves into the pcb holes on the 9800gt haha

Shadowlid
08-10-10, 10:43 PM
Seems to have worked on my card booted right up no problems running it right now. :)

But i didnt have any more thermal paste. So the card is running a little hotter now. About 57c maxed out. And idling around 45c. Im gonna go by staples tomorrow and get me some arctic silver or what ever they have and then try it

Greywalker
08-23-10, 08:25 AM
The mere fact that this can work astounds me. Just keep Walt Disney away from any ovens for fear of reanimation, then a conquest to rid the world of Jews by an army of It's a Small World robots.

baberpervez
09-10-10, 03:27 AM
Update on my 8800GT cards.

The one I baked earlier is still running great, except when it reached really high temperatures it would artifact (100 Celcius). So I installed some fresh AS5 and artifacting is now gone.

Here's an interesting development though on my second 8800GT which I had RMA'd to BFG. It came back with an apology letter stating that they don't have the supplier anymore that provides the chips they need and are in the process of liquidating that line of business. I had talked to BFG before and yes they said they are quitting the graphic card business all together as it just isn't profitable or feasible for them anymore. So be warned, don't by BFG graphic cards as their warranty is now useless.

As for the broken video card (which artifacts still) that they failed to repair or even touch for that matter, guess what I did with it?

Yup. You've guessed it.
And it works like a charm! Same procedure and I have never seen it run so perfectly and flawlessly.

So for review: I had two 8800GTs that starting artifacting one after another. I couldn't use my computer and when I asked for help from BFG on honoring their lifetime warranty, a downright refusal to help. So typically what a normal person would do is rave, cringe, :bang head and start cursing at BFG for their ****ty cards and tell everyone/anyone never to buy any of their products ever again! But what happened instead? Yup, used the oven trick, fixed both cards, and am back up and running with big smiles on my face.

I've gotten more intimate with my two 8800GTs you can say, exposed them to years of gaming and fixed them all by myself. I love these guys. They have been faithful. :) Just took some work and maintenance. Kind of like a relationship.. lol:thup:

Mario1
09-10-10, 03:57 AM
That oven trick is cool and stuff, but why not only heating the chip itself?
This problem is caused by a bad solder join.
You can also get the card professionally reballed for 100$, but we all know its not worth the money.

z24god
09-10-10, 04:36 AM
wow i amazed this idea works

khelltik
09-29-10, 07:33 AM
:thup:
Holy crap I read this post and was like yeah right I'm going to bake my laptop's video card and it's going to magically work? Then I read all these people saying it works. So I gave it a shot. Pre-heated to 385 degrees F, used 4 small BNC connectors to raise the corners and placed it in a pizza pan lined with wax paper. FYI the wax paper smokes like mad. Plus be very sure to remove rubber gromets or stickers before baking. Anyway, first 5 minutes I took a look and it was starting to get shiny around the chips on the surface. Gave it another minute and a half and pulled it out and allowed it to cool. About 30-45 minutes later I popped it in and it worked right away.
The original issue with this laptop was that I couldn't get the screen to light up, no external video and no beeps or error codes at all would just light up the HDD, Power buttons and so on and sit. You saved me tons and tons of money. Alienware wanted over a grand to send it in and repair this. Even though it is a laptop it will be a stationary desk based laptop for the remainder of it's years. Thanks again for the post!

ajbird
10-04-10, 12:00 PM
well I am more than astounded to report that my 3-months-dead 4870x2 card is now back up and running. This is unbelievable!! Before I chucked it in the PC spares drawer it produced so many artefacts that I could not even read the bios screen never mind make it into windows.
Now I am typing this on that same graphics card after 5 mins @ gas mark 6. I gave the oven 20 mins to get up to temperature and left it to cool down for 4 hours before putting all the parts back together.
Thank you, thank you, thank you to those who pioneered this. This baby cost my £400 and lasted only 18moths before dying on me. (read about the sorry saga here (http://dx3webs.com/wordpress/2010/04/4870x2-overheating-bfbc2-crash-pc-reboots-pc-freeze/))

nd4spdbh2
10-06-10, 07:20 PM
going to add another success story to the list of oven trick successes. This time an XBOX 360.... my buddies cousin gave it to him cus it was dead... "RROD" and i told him to bake it in the oven.... initially he looked at me like... umm your joking right, then i explained and hes like... that MIGHT just work. low and behold... 9 min @ 400*F and he now has a free xbox!

Red_Hot_Poker
10-07-10, 09:18 AM
Baked my dead 8800gt worked for about 5 min then stopped, have yet to have any luck getting it to work. Baked it longer, hotter, let it cool overnight, still no go.

TonyMc
10-07-10, 12:03 PM
going to add another success story to the list of oven trick successes. This time an XBOX 360.... my buddies cousin gave it to him cus it was dead... "RROD" and i told him to bake it in the oven.... initially he looked at me like... umm your joking right, then i explained and hes like... that MIGHT just work. low and behold... 9 min @ 400*F and he now has a free xbox!

Now that's a great idea.

AlienAndy
10-12-10, 08:26 AM
Hi guys. I just thought I would pop back and say that since repair my 8800 Ultra has been utterly flawless.

However I did want to stress that propping the card up on stilts or balls is a bad idea. Both sides of the card have components on and if you leave air underneath them when baking gravity will take over.

When I baked mine I kept it flat against the dull side of the foil. Basically I covered the baking tray with foil leaving the dull side up as the shiny side will reflect the heat. However, I put the card directly on it. The alu will not melt and nothing will stick to it, so putting it on balls or stilts is a false economy.

I also applied pressure to the culprits of failure (main GPU and RAMDAC) by wrapping lots of coins in foil and standing them on the chips. This prevents the chip lifting as the heat melts the solder forming hourglass shapes that are prone to failing. It also pushes the chips back down into the solder forming a good bond.

Fabius
10-17-10, 04:07 PM
Another successful cooked video card! :D
My 8800 ultra has come back from hell!

thanks for the trick :D

TechDem
11-07-10, 12:59 PM
I've been a tech now for quite some years, and I have been reflowing GPU's using a Aoyue 968 reflow station, but this trick is WOW, it astounds me the success rate is so high.

Note for Xbox 360 bakers, go on E-bay and search for No clean Liquid Flux, take off your heat sinks and use a syringe or pippette to suck up some of the Flux, you don't need alot. Now just squirt some between the epoxy mounts (if your version has them) on 2 sides, top and side, then roll the board around a bit to make sure you get an even spread, I usually do all four sides and works great. You may take a paper towel and wipe off the excess that will come out the other side of the chip (If it does not you probably have not put enough flux under there) .

After this is done apply pressure to the chips either by re-applying the heatsinks or using the penny tricks as described above. FYI Baking the Xbox motherboard also has the affect of straightening it out a bit if it's warped. If you leave the Xbox in it's metal housing it seems provide enough protection for some reason not to blow your capacitors. That's why you see people wrapping their boards with clothes and foil and stuff, to keep the capacitors and other surface mounted parts that should not be exposed to that much heat safe.

Kudo's to whoever started this thread, I've been reading so long I've forgotten lol.

On a side note, for *****'s and Giggles I just put a Xbox 360 that has a possible cold solder joint under the ram or CPU into the oven at 400 degrees for 7 minutes. We'll see what happens, my hopes are not high I think it's the CPU itself that is bad.. I've not given in to reballing a new one yet. :)

michal01000
11-07-10, 03:21 PM
WOOW!!

I put my dead 8600GT 512 into Oven and.... after 9 minutes I have work perfectly VGA card :D:D:D:D

Wega!
11-07-10, 04:16 PM
This thread almost make me wish i had a defect vidcard :p

TechDem
11-07-10, 05:25 PM
Update: Unfortunately the Xbox did not work, I do believe it to be a bad CPU though so no big other than 30 minutes :)

However I did notice the board's capacitors were bulging (They weren't before) , so 400 F is a bit too hot at 7 minutes, if I try it again maybe I'll go for 350. Although even though it's more of a pain in the ass I think I'll save the oven trick as a last resort and go back to my Reflow Station ^^

Good luck with future oven bakes!

*EDIT* Oh, and yes I know about shielding the capacitors with hvac tape, foil etc.. one of these days I'll make a set of shields. Just never have 2 hours to spend putting something together I'd use once in a while :)

Neuromancer
11-07-10, 09:12 PM
This thread almost make me wish i had a defect vidcard :p

I got one and not willing to try it.

amnios
11-08-10, 04:09 PM
should I bake my GTX 280?

Where the heck can I send it that will 100% get it working? Who does that stuff?

The card, if working, is likely still worth $180 Canadian but since I have one already I'd pay upto $120 have it fixed.

I RMA'd the card but they didn't fix it... BFG sucked near the end.

I hate to goto the oven.

b0cks
11-09-10, 02:32 AM
This was awesome. Before I got my GTX 470 my 8800GTS died. The oven method fixed it and it was working as soon as it cooled down. After about 6 months it died again though, BUT baking it again worked haha. No problems in my second computer so far. This was nearly a year ago.

It works, it's awesome.

amnios
11-21-10, 02:18 PM
Before baking I was having trouble getting a stable SLI with my pair of BFG OC GTX 280's...

I localized the problem to the one card... which worked fine for windows and non 3d stuff... even with this single card installed it could not run a 3d app or game like...

RMA's it but BFG was going out of business and they did not fix it. Weeks went by with a single remaining GTX 280 system...

So last night I took it apart easy enough... cleaned the paste off, removed the clear plastic "L" shaped piece for the green board light...

and baked it at 395 F for about 10 - 12 minutes.

the next day I put it back together and now I am running SLI

Coincidence?

nd4spdbh2
11-22-10, 09:35 PM
I am going to add ANOTHER successful bake to the list here.

Another 9800gt 512. This one had some SERIOUS artifacting (first image) and it wouldnt even think about actually using the driver (error 10 in device manager = device can not start).

9 min @ ~ 395*F, turned off oven propped door open and let it sit inside and cool down.... put her all back together and WALA... perfect gfx card, ran an HOUR of furmark @ 1680x1050 with 16x aa (aka stressing the **** out of it) topped 85*C, turned the comp off bout an hr ago to let her do a heat cycle. and now doing another run of furmark.

Also cooling down fresh from a bake is another 8800gt 512... i dont have high hopes for this one tho. absolutely no picture no boot no nothin to begin with.

toneay
12-21-10, 10:15 PM
Another success story to card baking. Was running dual 8800 GTS', went to upgrade to Windows 7 x64 and it wouldn't let me finish installing. Did alot(I mean alot) of troubleshooting, figured out one of my cards was artifacting(wasn't the one using for display.) I found the bake trick on this website after hours of googling and EVGA telling me that they refuse to observe the warranty on my card(limited lifetime) I decided to try it out since I had done the towel trick to man a RROD XBoxs and what do you know. Worked like a charm. Great ingenuity.

Edit: I registered on this website only to post my success story.

nd4spdbh2
01-02-11, 06:03 PM
And again... another success story for myself....

This time a 8800GTX.... the thing was DUSTY as hell... obviously never cleaned out, and thus what lead to most likely ram over heating causing fractures in the bga solder. It would get to the desktop fine, but as soon as a 3d app was launched it would crash... again 9 min at 380 - 390ish solved all issues this far.... and i assume for the life of the card as long as its dusted out on a regular basis.

:)

nd4spdbh2
01-14-11, 09:29 PM
And again... another success story for myself...

:beer: :beer: :beer:

As i said just a short while ago... another successful bake.

This time a 8600GTS.... booted it before baking (as i always do to see how bad the card is)... this one was pretty bad, worse than the 8800gtx i just fixed... as you can see in the picture below.

380-395*F for 9 min as always. Then a nice clean application of arctic silver ceramique, and she works like a charm... just finished 4 hrs of furmark just fine... and im letting it completely cool off and ill do some more furmark to verify that the card is fine :)

muddocktor
01-15-11, 01:51 PM
And you can add yet another success story to this thread. :thup:

I have a BFG 9800GTX that konakona gave me at the benching party. He evidently had bought it artifacting heavily for very cheap and then didn't get around to trying the oven trick on it and decided to give it to me to try the oven trick on.

I tested the card out when I got home and found it artifacting heavily (almost as bad as the pic nd4 posted above) and gave me the driver error in windows. So I had stripped the heatsink off last week and cleaned it up to prep it and finally got around to doing it last night. I set the oven to convection bake at 390 degrees and after it got to operating temp, stuck the card in for 9 minutes and dropped the temp back off to 385 degrees. At the 9 minute mark, I turned it off, opened the door to the first notch and let it cool down for around 45 minutes before removing the card. I wiped everything down with 90% IPA and then applied some IC7 Diamond to the GPU and assembled the card, then went to sleep last night. Today, I just shoved it into my test system and booted right up, with no artifacts or driver problems. I presently have it running Furmark on the torture setting and so far it's doing just great!!! I'm going to give it an hour run on the torture test, then pull it out of the test rig and do some benching with it.:D

gofaster87
01-15-11, 02:45 PM
The bake lives on.

thideras
01-15-11, 03:00 PM
This thread cannot die. Once it stops working, we simply put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and it comes back to life.

gofaster87
01-15-11, 03:05 PM
This thread actually came up in discussion, when IMOG was down for CES, while eating dinner.

thideras
01-15-11, 03:19 PM
You were at CES? :(

I'd love to go...

gofaster87
01-15-11, 03:34 PM
I didnt actually walk the floor. I met up with Dave and Matt for dinner. Matt got us into the MSI/Intel party and the next day we hung out at the XS meet.

Apht3rThawt
01-15-11, 11:52 PM
I baked my 8800GTS and then got 11.1 boints oced in 3DM06. Running great after 3 weeks. Here's the thread with pics. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664202

nd4spdbh2
01-16-11, 12:16 AM
This thread cannot die. Once it stops working, we simply put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and it comes back to life.

AHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA :rofl:

One thing i have noticed is all the cards that i have had the chance to bake, are all OEM nvidia cards... never had a 3rd party nvidia card come to me bad.... although all the OEM nvidia cards are in OEM comps where ppl never clean them out.... every one has been dusty as hell, and obviously the reason why they failed.

ziggo0
01-21-11, 04:03 PM
I've used this method on the following hardware. The time after the hardware is how long ago I did this.

ATI HD4850 512mb - 1 years
Another ATI HD4850 512mb - 6 months
NV 9800 GT 1gb - 1.5 years
8600GTS 512mb - 6 months
2x1gb Super Talent DDR2 - 1 month
Dell Studio 1550 Mobo - 8 months

All still working well, all were dead prior to the oven. My wife gives me credit because I cannot cook, but since I fix hardware...she can't complain ;)

thideras
01-27-11, 04:24 PM
Just purchased a truly dead card that I'm hoping to revive.

http://thideras.com/images/mods/gtx260_revive/dead_gtx260.png

Yes, that thing is completely removed. I like a challenge.

nd4spdbh2
01-30-11, 08:25 PM

http://thideras.com/images/mods/gtx260_revive/dead_gtx260.png

ya, u jacked it right out from underneath me!!!! lol... good luck!

Im not sure if just letting gravity push the gpu core down to the pcb will be enough (although it was enough to pull it off haha) ... maybe a small weight during the baking process on top of the gpu core to make sure its soldered good.

BTW ANOTHER +1 for the oven trick... i got bored today, and decided to bake an old stick of DDR2 pc 4200 that was dead... im pretty sure i over heated it when i was playing with it at 2.0v 800mhz a long while back... anyways if u put it in any system it would cause the system not to even post.... for such a small item i did 6min at the standard 380ish *f i normally do.... just passed 3 hrs of memtest he he he!

turbohans
01-31-11, 05:10 AM

WOW!!!! Never have i seen anything like that! If that still works, wow.

Kinda makes me wonder why ATI & Nvidia design their cards to face down. :screwy:

tool_462
01-31-11, 07:10 AM
BTW ANOTHER +1 for the oven trick... i got bored today, and decided to bake an old stick of DDR2 pc 4200 that was dead... im pretty sure i over heated it when i was playing with it at 2.0v 800mhz a long while back... anyways if u put it in any system it would cause the system not to even post.... for such a small item i did 6min at the standard 380ish *f i normally do.... just passed 3 hrs of memtest he he he!

RAM also likes the "Freezer Trick"

Revived about 6 sticks of DDR2 D9's back in the day :attn:

thideras
01-31-11, 09:23 PM
Card arrived. This will be interesting. I left my images larger so you can get really good detail on the damage.

http://thideras.com/images/mods/gtx260_revive/deadcard_1.JPG
http://thideras.com/images/mods/gtx260_revive/deadcard_2.JPG
http://thideras.com/images/mods/gtx260_revive/deadcard_3.JPG
http://thideras.com/images/mods/gtx260_revive/deadcard_4.JPG

Bobnova
01-31-11, 09:59 PM
That looks like it got wet or something.
Other then that... Smear a leave-in-place flux around and go to town! Looks like all the solder is still there, I bet you can do it.

I almost bought that same card with the same plan :D

thideras
01-31-11, 10:01 PM
The only concern I have is there is one or two spots where multiple BGA solder points are balled together. I traced it to the memory, so it is very important. I was hoping it was power related, because then I could just leave it.

thideras
01-31-11, 10:25 PM
I just broke out the soldering iron and fixed the really bad one. This should work. These things are so tiny, it would blow your mind. I had my face about 2" off of the board to see what I was doing, with a 650f soldering iron nearby. Was pretty interesting. I'm surprised the board didn't start on fire or I soldered myself to the board. This means a higher chance of success if I can figure out how to immobilize the core when it is put in the oven. That part is going to be difficult. If it moves 1mm, game over.

http://thideras.com/images/mods/gtx260_revive/resoldered_1.JPG
http://thideras.com/images/mods/gtx260_revive/resoldered_2.JPG

nd4spdbh2
01-31-11, 10:38 PM
u can do it thiddy!!!!! that will be one HELL of a revival!

visbits
01-31-11, 10:40 PM
dats gonna be a project

thideras
01-31-11, 10:43 PM
Honestly, if this starts up, but artifacts really bad, I'm calling it a success. If it kills my system, I'll probably cry.

Austin3334
02-01-11, 01:29 AM
Any idea if this would work for laptop mobos?

We have around 20 dv6000 with bad mobos we got for trade-ins over a few years and the HP bs recall is long gone.

We can get them fixed for $100 w/out disassembling first (anyone whose completely taken apart a laptop would know how long and annoying it is)

thideras
02-01-11, 02:11 PM
It depends what is wrong with it. If a solder point needs to be reflowed, then yes, this will fix it.

For example, if the chipset is dead (blue smoke), then it won't.

RAFUi Andrew
02-04-11, 04:35 AM
Hello!
I registered only to post in this thread,which is kinda odd,but meh.
I have a dead 4870 1gb sapphire,the fan starts up,as normaly (but when the GPU worked,it spined at 100% for 1-2secs,now it only spins constantly at 30-25%) ,the bios tells me that i don't have a gpu in place (1long beep,3short) and it continues to start the pc.
It got 3red led's to verify if you plugged the 2 6pin connectors,when it was working,they turned on when i forgot to connect 1. Now they don't turn on,no matter if you plugged the 2 connectors or not. It also got 3 green leds on the back,probably for power/vrm dunno,they turn on no matter what. If i don't connect the 2 pci-e cables,only 2 power up,presumably indicating that 1 vrm/power phase is not on.
I bought it from a "guy" and it died after 1 month.
I think the over-trick is the only solution nao?
Please reply quickly!

polarys425
02-04-11, 12:31 PM
Any idea if this would work for laptop mobos?

We have around 20 dv6000 with bad mobos we got for trade-ins over a few years and the HP bs recall is long gone.

We can get them fixed for $100 w/out disassembling first (anyone whose completely taken apart a laptop would know how long and annoying it is)

If you can "find" receipts for those, you can can new laptops under the class action suit.

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html

madhatter256
02-04-11, 12:53 PM
bought a broken 8800GT video card off ebay for cheap. Said it was artifacting, etc. and thought I could revive it.

No sign of previous oven-trick attempts. Noticed that it had the decoder chip broken off, so I soldered one from another video card.

Then I baked it one more time. Artifacts once I install the drivers for it...

RAFUi Andrew
02-04-11, 03:37 PM
Hello!
I registered only to post in this thread,which is kinda odd,but meh.
I have a dead 4870 1gb sapphire,the fan starts up,as normaly (but when the GPU worked,it spined at 100% for 1-2secs,now it only spins constantly at 30-25%) ,the bios tells me that i don't have a gpu in place (1long beep,3short) and it continues to start the pc.
It got 3red led's to verify if you plugged the 2 6pin connectors,when it was working,they turned on when i forgot to connect 1. Now they don't turn on,no matter if you plugged the 2 connectors or not. It also got 3 green leds on the back,probably for power/vrm dunno,they turn on no matter what. If i don't connect the 2 pci-e cables,only 2 power up,presumably indicating that 1 vrm/power phase is not on.
I bought it from a "guy" and it died after 1 month.
I think the over-trick is the only solution nao?
Please reply quickly!

Umm,no one? Please?

Sephis
02-04-11, 11:36 PM
Umm,no one? Please?

If it doesn't work as it is now, what have you got to lose? If the oven trick doesn't work, then you only lost ten minutes and a few cents of electricity. If you have done all of the usual things (check the connectors for damage/proper installation, put another card in to see if it's the motherboard, etc.) and it's definitely broken, go for it.

Austin3334
02-04-11, 11:40 PM
If you can "find" receipts for those, you can can new laptops under the class action suit.

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html

Damn nice, thanks

g0dM@n
02-05-11, 11:19 AM
ya, u jacked it right out from underneath me!!!! lol... good luck!

Im not sure if just letting gravity push the gpu core down to the pcb will be enough (although it was enough to pull it off haha) ... maybe a small weight during the baking process on top of the gpu core to make sure its soldered good.

RAM also likes the "Freezer Trick"

Revived about 6 sticks of DDR2 D9's back in the day :attn:

Oh... I have a stick of ram that POSTs but major errors... got another that's dead. I'll try to revive it next chance I get... just for gits and shiggles. ;)

killem2
02-07-11, 03:05 PM
Well tax returns came in, we are gettnig a new oven anyway, I will put my old 8800gt and see if I can get it working again :)

killem2
02-18-11, 08:16 PM
WOO HOO My 8800gt no longer has artifacts and runs great.

390 degrees for 7 mins 25 seconds.

Gonna let my friend borrow it again.

jason4207
02-19-11, 12:37 AM
Thiddy,

Did you notice this?

Looks like the pad is peeling off the board, but I may just be seeing it wrong.

I've had traces partially peel off a PCB before, and they still conducted, so all might not be lost even if it is what it looks like.

Are you going to build some kind of jig so it stays in position? Otherwise I think it will be impossible to set it accurately, and once the solder starts to flow it may slide a bit to 1 side w/o something keeping it in place.

thideras
02-19-11, 08:09 AM
Yeah, haven't done it yet. Not sure how to keep it in place.

killem2
02-19-11, 11:30 AM
I am no expert on this sorta thing but could you put silcon to keep it in place? Or would it melt?

thideras
02-19-11, 11:50 AM
Pure silicon would be fine, but hard to work with. I think a silicon gel would either be too soft, melt or be incredibly difficult to remove. I need something that won't stick to the PCB and hold the core in place.

jason4207
02-19-11, 12:50 PM
Do you have access to any kind of metal shop? I'd try to use the 6 inner holes or the 8 outer holes around the 'socket' to make a square jig that will only allow the GPU to toward and away from the board; no up/down or left/right motion.

Use 4 metal pins that fit in those holes, and some angle iron or square tube on top for the jig part.

Hmmm...after sketching it up maybe just using those 4 holes would be easier.

thideras
02-19-11, 01:04 PM
No, but I got a friend that just got a floor standing drill press with an x/y board. ;D

Should be pretty easy with that small of an area. Thank you for the very good idea.

docertabum
02-22-11, 07:24 AM
8600gt baked at 200C/7m30s successfully :)) I baked 8500gts on same plate with 8600 but haven't bothered to check if it is working (maybe later). Last thing I baked is mobo of damn laptop ASUS A6T. Today I'll check this out if it's working... Baking rulezzz :))

edit: asus a6t mobooooo..... works! :)

GIXXERGUY6
03-05-11, 07:19 PM
Artifacting gtx260 baked for 10 minutes @ 385f. Cooled for a day(waiting on paste)

Back in service clocked at 1512 Folding away

nd4spdbh2
03-05-11, 07:34 PM
thiddy, did you ever get to playing with the gtx260?

for a jig of sorts to make sure the gpu doesnt move around, see if you can get a bracket from a gtx280, there are metal rings that go round the gtx280 core's (very similar to that of the ones that went around the big ole G80 chips) so the pcb doesnt bend.

and +1 gixxer!

thideras
03-05-11, 09:14 PM
No, but I'm working out a design with someone that I know.

nd4spdbh2
03-05-11, 09:14 PM

haha cool! glad to see your still on the mission!

turbohans
03-07-11, 11:00 PM

Thats gonna be so sweet man! If you accomplish that I really think you should do some business on the side!

As to the OP though I sold my 9800gt that I baked twice, (warned buyer of course) but have had no complaints! Guess I baked 'er right the last time!! :beer:

arcanise
03-08-11, 12:05 AM
i've always just took a soldering iron with a small titanium tip and just reheated the memory DIP chips, but next time i need to fix anything ill give this a try, cant hurt to try it, hell ill even remove the plastic casing and just put the PCB in there

nd4spdbh2
03-09-11, 05:44 PM
i've always just took a soldering iron with a small titanium tip and just reheated the memory DIP chips, but next time i need to fix anything ill give this a try, cant hurt to try it, hell ill even remove the plastic casing and just put the PCB in there

... ya never leave on the heatsink or plastic shroud.... ull melt the shroud

psb962
03-20-11, 11:53 AM
I just resurrected my old 7950GX2. It was retired 2 years ago after it stopped booting Windows as a result of severe overheating while gaming. I dismantled it and gave it 8 minutes at 385 and now it works perfectly!!

Thanks very much for this info!

RomoRock3r
03-21-11, 09:25 PM
Well, Here's the (long) story for me

I found out about this method in early January after my 2 year old OEM Nvidia 8800GT began to artifact randomly and I couldn't boot into Windows :-/ So I read the instructions here and put it in my toaster oven at 385deg for 5 minutes. Put the heatsink back on with thermal paste and Voila It worked!.....for 3 weeks. Then artifacts began again and the computer would only start with the Nvidia driver disabled and the generic one put to use. I could still use the computer for basic tasks such as internet and word processing, but I wanted my full features back. So I re-cooked it again this time for 10 minutes at the same temperature and set Rivatuner to underclock the card and always have a high fan speed. Before under stock settings, the card would get up to 75deg C Idle and mid 80's under high load. With Rivatuner's settings, the Idle temp went to 59deg C Idle (I didn't test on load). It worked again but the artifacts came back in a week while playing a game. I cooked it again the same way and it messed up again. This time I didn't cook it for about a month and just used it with the basic windows driver as it would work this way. However, I can't play any games, watch TV on media center and have the eye-candy of Aero-Glass :-/ . Eventually I recooked it.
Now after a week, It messed up again however, If I used the computer with the generic windows driver for a few days and restart, Sometimes it would boot with the regular driver and I could use all windows features again.

So basically, now some days it will start with an artifact after the bios screen and the generic windows driver will have to load. Or, there will be no artifacts and windows will load normally and work several hours or for only a few hours; artifact; and restart with the generic windows driver. For the past few weeks, my GPU either works correctly or doesn't. As I am writing this, the generic driver is loaded.

Basically, I want to know how I can make the solder properly reflow when it's in the toaster oven and not only reflow a little and then melt so I have to cook it again or the GPU's temperature gets hot enough to "melt" it back until it messes up again. If I put liquid flux under the chip and use a stack of coins to push down on the chip when cooking will the solder reflow enough so that it no longer needs to be cooked? Before cooking, I notice the solder balls underneath the GPU are not shiny which probably means they are bad, but after cooking those solder balls look practically the same. Maybe my oven isn't hot enough and that I should buy a heatgun? Or is there no more remaining flux to properly melt the originial solder?
It gets frustrating to cook my card every 1-3 weeks :-/

jason4207
03-22-11, 10:28 AM
Do you have a regular oven? The toaster oven will have more uneven temps, and who knows if the thermostat is accurate.

Groov3st3r
03-24-11, 03:21 PM
All is nice and neat here but what I want to know is this:
1) Will there be enough LEAD in it to kill me and give my dog cancer? In which case its probably best to NOT attempt this.
2) Does it work on 100% dead cards? I mean, if you dont get artifacts, lines and other crap, jsut simple 'No Signal'? will it work? If it will then Im buying a card like that for 10 quid and will have fun with extreme performance of 9800gx2 for nothing. MY 9800GT is /// umm, K.I.A so to speak. It kind of doesnt generate signal either.... It MAY work cuz its a weird one that tends to develop issues and then resolve them all by itself (over a period of 2-3 months - untouched).

thideras
03-24-11, 03:26 PM
1) Everyone here is still alive, so I think you are safe.

2) It depends on what is wrong. If the card isn't working because of a bad/broken solder joint, then this will fix it. If the core is literally broken, nothing will fix it. Think about it. If your engine is shot in your car, doing body work on the vehicle isn't going to make the engine run. This isn't a magical fix that resolves any issue.

Groov3st3r
03-24-11, 03:40 PM
I know. BUT the card was working the day before. Next day, bam, 1 long 3 short beeps - video memo failure - black screen - no signal, boots (maybe, cant tell, screnn is black....)

SO here is my question. Cuz I have my eye on a 12 quid GX2 which is better than what I got but has similiar symptoms. I really dont knwo whether the core is fudged or its just solder. But I still have reservations about the toxic stuff vs my oven.

Anyone has an oven designated for 'baking'? I could send my card up to you xD Maybe.

thideras
03-24-11, 03:43 PM
You could always give it a good cleaning afterwards. I also used a baking sheet covered in foil, so it wouldn't get on the baking surface.

Groov3st3r
03-24-11, 05:12 PM
Thats fair enough. What about wrapping it all around the card? Would that stop the fumes from coming out or not?

Also, a little bit on the side. I got an HD4650 (I bought the wrong card/// shoudlve been 4670 but oh well) and it has some issues. It like freezing whenever I play, well, anything. It will freeze on Burnout. It will freeze on COD4. It will freeze Black Ops in THE MENU..... It will even freeze on.... and there is no other way of saying it.......

Minecraft. A game that barely has graphics.
So I was wondering, since I get this VPS error thing saying that the CARD has stopped responding, is there any way to rep this? I should stress out that I did o/c the card. It may have caused this to start happening but it may have not. Any ideas?

Meathead
03-24-11, 05:22 PM
Thats fair enough. What about wrapping it all around the card? Would that stop the fumes from coming out or not?

Also, a little bit on the side. I got an HD4650 (I bought the wrong card/// shoudlve been 4670 but oh well) and it has some issues. It like freezing whenever I play, well, anything. It will freeze on Burnout. It will freeze on COD4. It will freeze Black Ops in THE MENU..... It will even freeze on.... and there is no other way of saying it.......

Minecraft. A game that barely has graphics.
So I was wondering, since I get this VPS error thing saying that the CARD has stopped responding, is there any way to rep this? I should stress out that I did o/c the card. It may have caused this to start happening but it may have not. Any ideas?

Tinfoil is not really airtight so I'd have to say no. I don't bake my cards because I've never had a gfx card worth saving over any toxins that could potentially be released.

Groov3st3r
03-25-11, 09:31 AM
Good point. But then again, your new GPU budget probably isn't $0,-. Mine unfortunately is. Well lets say its around $20-30. But only in a few days time on top of that. I got a spare 50gbp but thats meant for... I dont actually knwo for what but not for hardware anyway.

Unless, there would be a different way of saving it. Because as I looked up on HWCompare my old 9800GT is a lot better than most of the cards around especially from the radeon range. To beat it I would have to shell out another 70+.. Im trying to ebay myself a cheap 8800gts now. But its still a day till the end so hopes are bleak.
Noticed that the GT series (240,260,310 etc) are amazingly crap. Decent ones start from GTS up.... but thats beside the point. Im jsut fed up with my first ever ATI which is really bad. I mean, REALLY bad, a card is not supposed to stop responding and be recovered by VPU all the time....
After 3 crashes it reverts to 8-bits and GameBoy resolution..... Installign and reinstalling Catalyst back and forth and cleaning nVidia drivers with Guru3D driver sweeper didnt do anything. I even slapped an Intel CPU fan on its heatsink (its the quiet, no fan version) in hopes it will stop. Nothing... Underclockign wont let my memo go less than 500 when I heard ppl only have success after they go as low as 400.... Hmm, a barrel of laughs.

jason4207
03-25-11, 10:46 AM
All is nice and neat here but what I want to know is this:
1) Will there be enough LEAD in it to kill me and give my dog cancer? In which case its probably best to NOT attempt this.
2) Does it work on 100% dead cards? I mean, if you dont get artifacts, lines and other crap, jsut simple 'No Signal'? will it work? If it will then Im buying a card like that for 10 quid and will have fun with extreme performance of 9800gx2 for nothing. MY 9800GT is /// umm, K.I.A so to speak. It kind of doesnt generate signal either.... It MAY work cuz its a weird one that tends to develop issues and then resolve them all by itself (over a period of 2-3 months - untouched).

All modern cards are RoHS which means they don't contain lead along w/ 5 other toxic substances.

If you added your own lead-based solder, or have a very old card that doesn't have the RoHS symbol on the PCB then you should not put it in your oven.

The reason that these cards are getting these solder-joint problems may be attributed to the fact that lead-free solder is being used. Lead based solder is more malleable and will deform, but lead-free solder is more prone to crack.

Groov3st3r
03-25-11, 11:07 AM
Right. Upon further research I discovered that 9800GT is in fact a RoHS card so there shouldn't be lead in it. Lead free solders quality would explain some issues I had with it earlier, liek it would one day jsut not boot, (back when my int. speaker was disconnected, cuz some bright spark at the PC shop tied the cable too tight and it didnt reach the board) and then after liek 3 months it sprung back to life. And it kept on doing that....

Hmm, if that would fix it, I wont need to by that GTX Im bidding on, or might even buy a broken GX2, cuz this one, despite its epic performance, is not the best one out there.
So RoHS means its 'oven-safe'? (no harm to be done to the oven that is) :P

fntastiK
03-25-11, 11:25 AM
another testimonals.

I baked my EVGA 8800GT in the oven at 385C for 10 minutes and it works.

If you wanna try, don't forget to remove the heatsink and fan.

Groov3st3r
03-25-11, 12:51 PM
That wont be necessary xD I remove them all the time :) Hmmm, coming to think of it, maybe thats y it broke....

jason4207
03-25-11, 12:55 PM
So RoHS means its 'oven-safe'? (no harm to be done to the oven that is) :P

Yes.

Apht3rThawt
03-25-11, 01:10 PM
I baked an XFX 8800GTS and it still works after 4 months. I put some pieces of solder on the tray lined with foil as a control when I baked it. When the solder pooled I turned off the oven and let it cool down. To my knowledge the solder never got hot enough to vaporize, so no fumes and no lead if there was any. 385f for 7-8 minutes worked for me.

nd4spdbh2
03-25-11, 01:10 PM
just fixed my GF's hp dv2000 with its dreaded nvidia chipset failure.

The cooling system on the thing is about the biggest joke ever as far as cooling the gpu/northbridge ... they used a huge thick thermal pad to fill the gap between the cooler and the chip...

Needless to say i used a heat gun to do the same thing as an oven. then to get rid of the gap between the heatsink and chip i filed down an OLD pure copper penny, and used a lil crazy glue / thermal paste to hold it to the heatsink... this dropped temps of the northbridge / gpu a good 20-25*c

jason4207
03-25-11, 03:10 PM
I baked an XFX 8800GTS and it still works after 4 months. I put some pieces of solder on the tray lined with foil as a control when I baked it. When the solder pooled I turned off the oven and let it cool down. To my knowledge the solder never got hot enough to vaporize, so no fumes and no lead if there was any. 385f for 7-8 minutes worked for me.

Lead-based solder and lead-free solder have different melting points, but I'm glad it worked for you. Very cool idea to use a control. :thup:

I'd be hesitant to cook any food in the oven after melting lead solder in it, but I work over a soldering iron occasionally w/ the fumes all in my face, so here's hoping we both live long and healthy lives!

:beer:

Groov3st3r
03-25-11, 05:43 PM
Yeah hopefully xD Hmm, so you said it nver got hot enough to generate fumes and other crap in the first place but it still fixed your card? Interesting. What was your failure btw?

fntastiK
03-25-11, 07:31 PM
Yeah hopefully xD Hmm, so you said it nver got hot enough to generate fumes and other crap in the first place but it still fixed your card? Interesting. What was your failure btw?

Mine never generated fumes too and it fixed the card...

Unoriginal
03-25-11, 08:45 PM
BTW if your card had ROHS anywhere on it, there aren't any heavy metals including lead and mercury in the card. Also if you're getting fumes from the card, your temps are too hot and the plastics or the cases of the devices is melting. Both of which is very bad for both yourself and the card.

corruption
03-25-11, 10:59 PM
Fumes could also be flux that was not properly cleaned off of the card....flux stinks....but so does burning plastic.... :P

Groov3st3r
03-26-11, 08:33 AM
Tell me about burning plastic.... Jeez that thing reeks. Its what happens when you burn a plastic cup with a box-ful of matches xD

Junglebizz
04-07-11, 10:49 PM
Damn, I just ended up with a BFG Geforce 6800GS OC that will randomly blackscreen/glitch screen and i was thinking of baking it, but it can't find an rohs logo on it. I'm not sure i want to take the chance of ruining my gf's oven or realsing poisonous fumes in our place.

Maybe I can bake the P5K Deluxe motherboard I have here that is acting up!

kommanderkodiak
04-07-11, 11:08 PM
buy a cheap toaster oven and put it outside and do it ;D

nd4spdbh2
04-10-11, 12:26 PM
Damn, I just ended up with a BFG Geforce 6800GS OC that will randomly blackscreen/glitch screen and i was thinking of baking it, but it can't find an rohs logo on it. I'm not sure i want to take the chance of ruining my gf's oven or realsing poisonous fumes in our place.

Maybe I can bake the P5K Deluxe motherboard I have here that is acting up!

ya that was before the time of RoHS.... but really if your gettin the card hot enough to VAPORIZE the lead (which is when you have to worry bout lead problems) then your card will be long gone.

at 385-400*f ur fine.

Skaarsgard
04-12-11, 12:51 AM
i had to post here... IT WORKED FOR ME TOO!

today i was bored, reading some old threads and found this one regarding baking a 8800gtx thinking, "wtf? they can't be serious". then read through a few pages and it looked legit. watched a couple of videos on Youtube and was sold - pulled my broken 8800gtx out of the drawer and gave it a try - fugger worked like a charm. lucky for me i had a full tube of Artic Silver Ceramic sitting around.

so, now i have a 275 and an 8800gtx for my second box that i was contemplating giving to pops for when my neices and nephews visit. should i use the 8800gtx for physics with the 275 as the main?

not looking to build another box as i just spent $3k+ on a sandy bridge machine last month

To the original poster - THANK YOU. baking a broken $500 video card was probably the coolest thing i have ever done with a pc component.

Haste266
04-13-11, 04:05 PM
wow. over 160k views here and almost 600k on hardforum, totalling almost 1500 replies. props to the OP for this ingenious idea!

nd4spdbh2
04-14-11, 10:58 PM
i had to post here... IT WORKED FOR ME TOO!

today i was bored, reading some old threads and found this one regarding baking a 8800gtx thinking, "wtf? they can't be serious". then read through a few pages and it looked legit. watched a couple of videos on Youtube and was sold - pulled my broken 8800gtx out of the drawer and gave it a try - fugger worked like a charm. lucky for me i had a full tube of Artic Silver Ceramic sitting around.

so, now i have a 275 and an 8800gtx for my second box that i was contemplating giving to pops for when my neices and nephews visit. should i use the 8800gtx for physics with the 275 as the main?

not looking to build another box as i just spent $3k+ on a sandy bridge machine last month

To the original poster - THANK YOU. baking a broken $500 video card was probably the coolest thing i have ever done with a pc component.

i hope you didnt use a full tube of as5 on it... thats overly much.

either way, as far as aphyx card, check the phyx game list... id be willing to bet you have VERY few if any games that support phyx... and thus it wont be worth it to have the extra card drawing power constantly.

baberpervez
04-16-11, 04:07 PM
i hope you didnt use a full tube of as5 on it... thats overly much.

either way, as far as aphyx card, check the phyx game list... id be willing to bet you have VERY few if any games that support phyx... and thus it wont be worth it to have the extra card drawing power constantly.

whole tube of as5???? lol

:rofl:

Charr
04-18-11, 01:24 PM
Note to any one trying this, don't use a small toaster oven. I did a test on a known dead card, and the coils started to burn the PCB facing up before it reached the correct temperature.

antipesto93
04-18-11, 01:31 PM
wow. over 160k views here and almost 600k on hardforum, totalling almost 1500 replies. props to the OP for this ingenious idea!

Sup :D

I had no idea this would be so popular!, I am hardly on this forum much nowadays, but its great to see it working for so many people (all over the internet)

Note to all:
Please dont read this thread and then go and buy faulty cards on ebay and then resell them, Alot of people are doing it and the fix is temporary
Now the majority of 8800gtx's that are 'faulty' have been baked, Same goes for the 9800gx2's

psb962
05-07-11, 02:32 PM
I just successfully cooked my old GeForce 6800NU which was retired about 4 years ago due to massive artifacts all over the screen, at all times. 7 minutes at 385 F in a glass bowl, no smells, fumes, nothing, and it now works perfectly! That's my second card back from the dead..

stunt
05-09-11, 10:27 AM
No wonder my 1950-pro lasted so long. I had in a 820D and a 940D system. With those two CPUs, you don't need no stinking oven. :)

DemonTraitor
05-11-11, 05:04 AM
Hi

I have just dismantled my GTX 295 ready for baking... (last resort)

I have noticed the chunks of thermal compound on the memory etc... I have thermal paste, ready for the re-build, but do I need thermal pads, or will paste suffice?

Thanks. Demon

thideras
05-11-11, 08:37 AM
If you can, you will want to use pads. There is a large gap between the heatsink and the RAM chips. Thermal paste is better than nothing, but it isn't ideal.

Tech Tweaker
05-13-11, 10:41 PM
Admittedly I was skeptical of this method when I first read about it, okay actually I thought it was ludicrous, because I figured if anything putting a piece of computer hardware (or anything electronic for that matter) into a hot oven would reduce said hardware to a smoking pile of silicon, ram chips, transistors, capacitors, and other assorted components and might very well result in it bursting into flames.

To my amazement though, this trick actually worked for me on an old 8800GTX I bought as a non-functional unit from another member here.

I could not even get my computer to boot with this card in the first time I tried it, but right now it is running just fine with that very same card in it without issue (post-baking of course).

I decided to just do a short bake on mine, since I was wary of the idea, and only put the card in for five minutes.

I guess that makes another success story and recommendation for this procedure.

nd4spdbh2
05-14-11, 02:48 PM
just fixed another hp laptop with a classic nvidia chipset failure.

this time a DV2940SE .... used some no clean flux i got on ebay for 2 bucks, and a heatgun, running stress tests now, but it looks like she is workin fine. System temps are alot cooler as i modded the cooling with proper thermal paste, and used a copper shim instead of the crap stock thermal pad for the chipset. Copper shim = a filed down old penny... works like a charm!

Tech Tweaker
05-28-11, 02:35 PM
Admittedly I was skeptical of this method when I first read about it, okay actually I thought it was ludicrous, because I figured if anything putting a piece of computer hardware (or anything electronic for that matter) into a hot oven would reduce said hardware to a smoking pile of silicon, ram chips, transistors, capacitors, and other assorted components and might very well result in it bursting into flames.

To my amazement though, this trick actually worked for me on an old 8800GTX I bought as a non-functional unit from another member here.

I could not even get my computer to boot with this card in the first time I tried it, but right now it is running just fine with that very same card in it without issue (post-baking of course).

I decided to just do a short bake on mine, since I was wary of the idea, and only put the card in for five minutes.

I guess that makes another success story and recommendation for this procedure.

Wah, wah, wah.

Card died again.

Put it in last night and couldn't get the system to post, then on the second try it posted but was artifacting pretty bad with parallel lines running down the screen, it hung up after post and refused to boot.

So, the oven is heating up right now and hopefully a re-bake will do it.

I just don't think I had it in long enough the first time, because initially after the first baking I had those same lines on boot up, but it went away then.

Tech Tweaker
05-28-11, 04:24 PM
Wah, wah, wah.

Card died again.

Put it in last night and couldn't get the system to post, then on the second try it posted but was artifacting pretty bad with parallel lines running down the screen, it hung up after post and refused to boot.

So, the oven is heating up right now and hopefully a re-bake will do it.

I just don't think I had it in long enough the first time, because initially after the first baking I had those same lines on boot up, but it went away then.

Did around a seven-minute bake this time.

It's working again, for how long I can't say.

It did the parallel lines thing again on first boot up, but then that problem went away.

Just did a run of AquaMark3 to test it, which it completed without issue with 70K+ on the score.

Ravinus
06-08-11, 03:00 AM
Hi. Have just registered to be able to post another sucessful bake. Brought an Inno3D 8800GTS after being told it had driver issues. First time I slung it into a machine it had artifacts all over the screen then crashed. Took it apart, slung in into the oven at 195 degrees C and all go. Also, this card has a big round sticker stating RoHS Compliant so hopefully no heavy metals were burnt.

Badbonji
06-11-11, 01:04 PM
Will be baking a GTX260 tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Badbonji
06-17-11, 04:26 PM
Back - Well I tried baking the GTX260, but now it is completely dead!

thideras
06-17-11, 04:31 PM
Back - Well I tried baking the GTX260, but now it is completely dead!How did you do it?

nd4spdbh2
06-19-11, 02:38 PM
i have been having pretty good luck using no clean flux and a heatgun... tho i havnt been able to try it on a gfx card, but all the nvidia chipset laptops i have fixed have worked just fine afterwards... its quite amazing how much heat chips can take when they arnt being used... a 600*F heatgun an inch away from the chip for a coupla minutes surely heats the chip up QUITE a bit!

Bensa
07-16-11, 06:20 PM
I've been repairing all kinds of electronics malfunctions, bad caps and inductors, switching out regulators and FETs, as well as baking boards to fix bad solder jobs. But when I read about others doing it with temps around 195-205C (385-400F) it doesn't really make sense when you look at the temperatures required to turn ROHS solder liquid.
Older lead/tin mixtures have melting points/ranges below 190C so they would obviously work at lower temperatures, but modern ROHS solders have a melting points/ranges in the 211-220C range (some up to 230C).

When I put boards into the oven I tend to put them to 220C since that's when lead-free solder actually turns liquid. So what exactly is going on at the solder joints when people bake them at lower temperatures, which aren't high enough to even turn the solder partially liquid (some solders don't melt at a single temp but have a range where different components turn liquid until the whole alloy is liquid). People have success with lower temperatures so there's something going on, but what exactly?

nd4spdbh2
07-16-11, 07:03 PM
well you gotta think... an oven at ~ 400*f will have a swing of 25*F or so + and - so it will definitely get hot nuf to melt the solder. also it doesnt have to become liquid just plyable to reform the balls of solder... liquid just makes it easier.

Sephis
07-17-11, 01:24 PM
Metals lose almost all of their strength at temperatures well below the point they turn to a liquid. Even 10 or 15 degrees C below melting temp, the solder joints are soft enough to close up cracks just from the weight of the chip sitting on them. Ever seen someone heat the middle of a big piece of steel bar and bend it with their hands? That material is still a few hundred degrees from its melting point.

toda90
07-20-11, 02:48 PM
Hi everybody, I see that most of you are very satisfied for the graphic card baking results :) So this would be my problem - I baked my PX9500 GT old graphic card, which only collected dust in my drawer. I did it on 200 C and baked it for about 7 minutes. Unfortunately, the graphic card tablet went a bit bandy after baking, and lost it's original shape. So I'm afraid that it might cause problems to my PC if I try it, and I have reasons to be afraid because I have a very good PC, and it would be a shame for any part of my PC to become malfuncion, that would cost me a lot..

Therefore, I beg for your advice - should I try it anyway, is there any chance that my PX9500 GT causes damage to any of my PC components? Is it really safe to try it in my motherboard PCI slot? I'm not really an expert in computers and electronics, but I believe that most of you are :)

nd4spdbh2
07-24-11, 07:09 PM
would just like to add another success story to the list.... this time a dell xps 15in laptop with a 8600gpu failure, the failure was obvious... one of the two studs that were soldered into the mobo that were used to screw the gpu hs down came undsoldered and the other was on its way....

either way i fixed em, and the thing runs just fine... pics to come.

Liedson
08-03-11, 02:42 PM
So, i tried this today with a 7600GT (red lines problem) for 8 beautiful minutes. My friends told me i was stupid for doing that...well, take that suckers, it actually worked!

thideras
08-03-11, 03:05 PM
If they called you stupid and you did this properly, they simply don't understand what this does. Glad it worked for you.

samy109
08-05-11, 07:28 AM
Well this is an interesting story. So I was going to half price books to look around randomly since I was bored, and went to the isle with all the programming books. What do you know, randomly theres a graphics card box sitting there next to some books. Hm i'm thinking, someone brought a graphics card to half price books? Lolfail. So it was a 512mb 8800gts g92, faster and newer than the 8800gtx and was only 25$! I want to know the crack they smoked. So I bring it home and it was in perfect condition but I knew something was up. I plugged it in, bam artifacts ALL OVER. I did everything from cleaning it to reflashing it's bios, All of that. Nothing. So then I thought screw it, I got it for 25 bucks mine as well try the oven trick. Preheated oven to 385, Removed the heatsink, and suspended it on 4 tinfoil balls in the oven for 9 minutes. Pulled it out, smelled great then let it cool, reapplyed thermal paste and the heatsink, Turned it on, BAM It worked. Now I have another computer, but really that is a hell of a deal even though I had to bake it. Goodluck finding a graphics card in a book store? Maybe.

neopc007
08-08-11, 03:29 PM
**I no longer update this thread, a Mod can clean it up/sort out the OP to make it a bit more formal if they like,

Ok, i got an 8800gtx of ebay, and it had artifacts all over the screen, like a chessboard
i reflashd the bios --- still nothing
then rememberd some cases of heat fixing xbox 360's and thourght of oven trick

i put it in the oven for around 5 mins AND NOW IT WORKS
i seriously thourght he was joking, but i got so angry because i couldnt fix the card, i just bunged it in the oven and it workeddd WOO IME SOO HAPPY AND FEEL LIKE I SHOULD TELL EVERYONE!!!
THANKS FOR ALL YOU HELP!!

( by the way if anyone is going to try it make sure u take all the heatsinks off first and make sure u use PREHEATED oven set to 385F ( gass mark 6) (solder melts around 364F) )
different people left it in there for different times, most people said 6-8 mins 14 is too much

wow ime so happy :)
****EDIT1****
GUIDE :)
1: remove heatsink and thermal paste
2: preheat oven to 385F to 400F( NO HIGHER!) ( gas mark 6)
3: lay foil over the oven rack
4: make 4 balls of foil, about 4cm high,
5L when the oven is heated to its corrent temperature, put the graphics card on the 4 balls, one on each corner )
6: leave for around 6-10 mins, NO MORE THAN 12 OR IT WILL MELT
7: ENOJOY!!! :attn:

****EDIT 2****
THIS FIX MAY NOT LAST FOREVER, SO PLEASE DO NOT PUT CARDS IN THE OVEN AND THEN SELL THEM its not nice!!

Testimonials: :)

RAVANELI: but desperate to get it back I tossed it in the oven too. MIRACLE!

haste 226: i was finally able to attempt this today and im amazed! it worked. wow...if i had only known when it died...

POLARYS425: Add one more 8800GTX to the success list. I just baked it for 12-15 minutes at 385F.

ME: Stuck it in the oven for 8 mins (exactly) AND NOW IT WORKS!!!!! aaaaaa im soo hapy

DANBROKE: Sweet lord! I just did it too my cellphone that wasnt working and Walla!! It work again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! Great trick!!

might as well give it a shot. To my amazement it totally worked, card is now (apparently) all good with no video corruption or anything

zOZ: I threw it in the oven and it came out and also... now works

BADBONJI: he didn't believe me (I gave him some links of how people have done it) and now it works again, saves him from buying another gpu for a while!

WIKING: Thank you so much, this resurected my x800xl that didnt even POST

ANOTHERSMOKE: let cool new paste and wallah! been folding when not at computer for 3 weeks

PINKGOLD This is madness!! Yesturday I had an 8800gtx that wouldn't even let my comp start if it was connected! Today after 5 mins of light baking, I have a fully functioning gpu!!

Gods_oMekone: it works! booted into windows fine. going to install some games and make sure 3d works

AND ANOTHER 23 PAGES OF IT WROKING FOR PEOPLE http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792
:clap::clap:
anyone want to write a proper guide ?

remember to keep the card level in the oven
rememeber this is not allways permanent

I found this thread thru googled. I tried did same thing on my 9800GTX in the oven at 385F for 10min and it's worked!

Thanks!

shant
08-09-11, 03:05 PM
awesome! will be trying an hp dv6 board with this trick, gpu is dead, will keep you updated :)

trotell
08-14-11, 04:44 PM
Thank you so much it works perfectly now :)

pizzaface
08-22-11, 06:22 PM
Tried it on a laptop motherboard that seems to be dead (doesn't respond to anything). Didn't work.

EezurpaiN
08-22-11, 08:33 PM
nd4 you seem to have the best luck out of anyone on here with this so I hope you can help me out. I am still working on a GTX 275 I will attach a screenshot of the artifacts. I have baked this card twice already but apparently not long enough because I still have a gap between the pcb and the chip itself. I didn't use any flux though. Do you always use flux when you bake? I also am not sure how I need to apply the flux since I haven't done it on a job like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apht3rThawt
08-22-11, 08:49 PM
I baked an 8800GTS last November or so and it still works great. Running it weekly and no probs. Here is a pic of card on foil with solder as a control. As soon as the solder melted on the foil I turned the heat off and let it cool. Temp was around 380F for 7 minutes. It is a no-lead card btw. Just recycled a laptop and didn't try the bake on it, shoot. Misspoke saying 180f, sorry.

EezurpaiN
08-23-11, 12:51 PM
Does anyone have anymore information on what I posted yesterday? Doesn't neccessarily have to come from nd. Thanks!

nd4spdbh2
08-24-11, 01:24 PM
@ Eezurpain

As far as your card goes, thers a couple of things.

i dont recommend to use flux inside an oven you cook in, for obvious reasons (fumes)...

1. the main chip should never touch the pcb, there will always be some gap to it.
2. i would take off the metal ring around the gpu, this will soak away heat from the effected area and thats not what we want.
3. have you actually used a thermometer to see what temp your oven is at? we are looking for ~ 8min at 390-400*f (note that a typical oven with have a +-25*f swing)
4. looks like you have the setup right ( at least .5in of space under the card)
5. when the 8 min is up, just turn the oven off, and open the door slightly, this will allow the solder to cool at a slower pace so we dont create any more fractures.

All that being said, i have been having GREAT luck as of late using the heat gun method. Essentially the same process (wherein you heat up the problematic chips) but a slightly different method.

The benefits to using a heatgun (i use a 10 dollar harbor freight 600/1100*f heatgun) is that you can concentrate the heat on a single chip... you dont have to worry about melting plastic etc... and because you can concentrate the heat and its out of an oven you can accomplish two things... 1. heat the chip up hotter (which will make the solder joints better) 2. you can use no clean flux because its out in the open.

My heatgun method involves the use of tinfoil as well. I will make kind of a heat shield out of the tin foil and cut out the area around the affected chips.

You can get no clean flux off ebay for CHEAP....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Clean-Liquid-Flux-Rework-Reflow-Reball-BGA-GPU-CPU-/280556332573?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415275e61d

SO what i do is make my tinfoil heat shield, cut out around the chip that needs reflowing. i drip some no clean flux on the side of the chip where there is a gap between it and the main pcb... enough to where it starts comming out the other side of the chip... turn the pcb 90* and drip some more so that the chip has flux everywhere underneath it. Replace the heat shield.

Then i position the card / mobo / w/e it is so that the UNDERSIDE of the pcb where the chip in question is exposed (so ill hang the pcb off the edge of a workbench using some weight so it doesnt fall off)

Next ill take my heat gun and at its lower setting start slowly heating up the top and bottom... staying about 6-8in away moving in small circles (note that there is no heat shield on the bottom, your just heating the bottom to make an even expansion rate as well as make sure everything is heated evenly before going in for the kill)

so after about 4 min or so of alternating heating the top and bottom doing about 30 secs or so on each side... i will go by feel and touch the pcb say 6or so in away from the area im heating... if where i touch almost burns you, then you have evenly heated enough and its time to go in for the kill... if not then do another 2 min or so of even heating.

The kill.... at this point the pcb is decently heated, all the flux has boiled off and left clean surfaces. i move back to the top and bring the heat gun in to about 2 in away from the chip (still on the lower 600*f setting) and go in small circles for about 1 min... then switch to the high setting (1100*f) and at the same distance away do ~ 15-20 secs depending on the chip size. after that ill switch back to the lower setting and back my distance off to 6-8in and sit there for another 30 secs so that it doesnt cool down to quick... at this point ill shut off all heat and let it sit untill i can touch it.

Like stated the heatgun method has netted me great results.. especially on laptop mobos with the dreaded nvidia gpu probs. Also dont forget the ram chips... heat those up but to a lesser extent (ill usually just do about 1 min of heat up at the lower setting at 2 in away, for a group of chips - 30 secs on the bottom 30 secs on the top)

if you have any questions feel free to hit me up thats what im here for :)