• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P45 or X48

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazymilk

I am in need of a new mobo and was after some advice.

To be used with my QX9650

My first choice was to go for X48 chipset but after digging around it seems that the P45 chipset allows higher FSB's with these quads more than X48.

Thought I would put it out there to see what people think/know.

For max FSB's on my quad - P45 or X48???

Thanks

PURE OCING : P45

X48 is a good one too. Really depand on your need. P45 can be CF too ..

P45 will give you a much higher overclock.
P45 does have Xfire but only x8.
X48 gives you full scale Xfire.
X48 is going to cut you off at around 450 FSB.
Trade off there.
I'd go X48.

Really depends on which X48 board you get, DFI DKX48TRS2+ is a excellent board, along with the Rampage Extreme from Asus.... Aslo depends on how hard your gonna push your quad...

I know there is one person in particular over on XS that has a RF to just over 500 fsb with a Q9650 and 8gb of memory. With a QX9650, 4ghz should be a breeze on a X48, that I guess it really depends on what your using it for.

With the unlocked multi in the extreme I don't think the overclocking really matters
With an x48 he's getting dual x16 lanes and better quality componants in general.
I'd go for the x48

Thanks guys. Yeah with the unlocked multi on these quads im not to bothered about massive FSB's anyway.
I was thinking of the Asus Rampage Extreme (damm expensive but meets all my requirements) and I will replace the fusion NB water block with a aftermarket EK block.

My other option was DFI UT P45 TR3s but NOBODY has stock anymore. I contacted DFI direct and they have none and could not tell me when they are shipping any to the UK e tailers.

So the Rampage Extreme it is I rekon

RAM wise I have Corsair Dominator TW3X4G1800C8DF G: 4GB DDR3-1800 so again I am not limited there.

I have the CPU/NB under water so I can push it quiet hard.

As long as I can get close to 450fsb I think I will be happy.

I know its impossible to say but do you think 450fsb is possible with the X48??

Thanks guys. Yeah with the unlocked multi on these quads im not to bothered about massive FSB's anyway.
I was thinking of the Asus Rampage Extreme (damm expensive but meets all my requirements) and I will replace the fusion NB water block with a aftermarket EK block.

My other option was DFI UT P45 TR3s but NOBODY has stock anymore. I contacted DFI direct and they have none and could not tell me when they are shipping any to the UK e tailers.

So the Rampage Extreme it is I rekon

RAM wise I have Corsair Dominator TW3X4G1800C8DF G: 4GB DDR3-1800 so again I am not limited there.

I have the CPU/NB under water so I can push it quiet hard.

would the X48 max out at ~450FSB for both quads and duals? i think you get a bit lower on quads...but anyway
might not be any help to you, but my P5E flashed to Rampage Formula maxes out at 480FSB on my e6400. you will probably get somewhere just below with a quad.

would the X48 max out at ~450FSB for both quads and duals? i think you get a bit lower on quads...but anyway
might not be any help to you, but my P5E flashed to Rampage Formula maxes out at 480FSB on my e6400. you will probably get somewhere just below with a quad.

480FSB 24/7 on a 65nm Conroe isn't bad. The X38/X48 can both take 45nm duals to 550FSB and above, it's just quads where they struggle. The reason being they take a lot of NB voltage to get a quad up there, and the NB heats up pretty fast. Or at least that's the reason I've been told :beer:

i was able to run my q6600 at 489fsb with my rampage :thup: these boards do not struggle with quads at all :)

well, you wont be running 550fsb with em, but i dont think that really matters ;)

480FSB 24/7 on a 65nm Conroe isn't bad. The X38/X48 can both take 45nm duals to 550FSB and above, it's just quads where they struggle. The reason being they take a lot of NB voltage to get a quad up there, and the NB heats up pretty fast. Or at least that's the reason I've been told :beer:
that 480FSB was with a 6 multiplyer though. i was testing how high my cpu could go (FSB wise). either my board capped it at 480FSB or my cpu maxed out at 480FSB.

glad to know they can reach 500FSB+ with duals. ;)

I'm running my Q9650 at 450X9 on a Rampage Formula X-48....

I wasn't even trying...so I would say yeah, its no problem..:)

Back