• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Striker II vs EVGA FTW vs i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

The EVGA board I was 90% settled on became much less available recently (of course).

Shopping for a substitute, the Striker II Extreme came into play on my list.

Existing hardware (to be used on new board) is as follows:

QX9650
2 x GTX260(216)

I'd like to go with DDR3-2000 on the new board, and it must support SLi.

I'm kinda torn. The Striker II Extreme is the "big name" on the list, and with mail-in is actually less expensive than the EVGA. However, I've also heard that it's a less than stellar OCer. The fact that it'll tie nicely into my existing WCing system is a plus.

The best EVGA 132-YW-E180-A1 pricing I can find is about $30-$40 more than the ASUS. The EVGA board comes highly recommended by this forum, but I can't find anything in the way of other reviews on it. Don't think I don't trust you guys, but I'd like to have info from multiple sources before pulling the trigger.

The way I see it, I have the following options:

1. Get the ASUS Striker II
2. Get the EVGA board
3. Sell the QX9650, buy X58 board and a 920
4. Sell the "extra" GTX260

Option 4 is obviously my least favorite, 2 and 3 are roughly equal in expense, option 1 is probably the one I'm most leery about. Which way would YOU go?

Choice 3. Especially with the new D0 batch.

With the reviews I have seen, C2Q's and PII's match the i7's in gaming performance in single GPU setups. However, with SLI, the equation changes, and it suddenly becomes CPU limited in many games. The i7 will beat the QX9650 right out of the water. And of course if you're doing something that is actually CPU-intensive, like encoding/rendering/FSX, you'll see a huge improvement.

Keep in mind that your WC setup will need to be modified. i7 will also not bottleneck you in tri-sli setup with 3x260, which if you're planning to ever get, you would need to upgrade to the newer architecture anyway.

Back