• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 Mobo Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brettfavor

Registered
I am currently looking to upgrade to a DDR3 motherboard with good OC support for my Q9400. I haven't really researched mobo's in awhile so I need a few suggestions.

My current set up is:

Abit IP35 Pro
Q9400
8GB Mushkin Ram
XFX GTX 260 Black Edition
Zalman 9700
500w OCZ Power Supply
Cooler Master CM690

I am thinking of going with 4 x 1GB of DDR3 1333 or 1600 ram, but I may go with 3 x 2GB instead.

Anyways any suggestions would be great. I want to spend less than $200 if possible and I am not opposed to open box or used items as long as they are from reliable sellers.

Yeah I forgot tri-channel wouldn't be supported.

I am just going to stick with DDR for now until I eventually upgrade to a 8-Core LGA1366 in the next year or so.

They only reason I upgraded to a Q9400 from a e8400 was because a friend sold it to me for less than $100.
I'll wait to upgrade, but thanks for the suggestions. I have had my eye on the Asus Rampage Extreme for while now anyways.

The RE is a fantastic board, but I preferred the Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 for an X48 DDR3 platform. It was a fair bit easier to overclock and took my Q9550 and E8600 just as far as the RE did. The one noticable difference on the RE was that the VDroop control was extremely (no pun) efficient, whereas the DQ6 kept it at a slightly greater ~.02v which is still respectable. All in all I would recommend the Gigabyte, especially if you're not an advanced overclocker. For a P45/DDR3, the GA-EP45T-Extreme was also a great clocker.

GR has also recommended a very good board above.

As for RAM, I used the 2x2GB or 2x1GB set of this stuff:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231142
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231167
Extremely good ram for both boards mentioned above.

Last edited:
Back