• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Print Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Anybody have any experience with print servers? I'm going to visit my parents (well, my body will be there, they'll only care about their grandson!) in a week and my father, who isn't very tech savvy, needs a print server & wireless network. The wireless I have no problem with; I'll be getting him your standard G router.

I've just never had to buy a print server; always networked the one connected to my PC. Zero maintenance is the key. Once I set it up I don't want him to have to go into it again. Any opinions on the D-Link DP-300U? Anyone have experience with good print servers other than that?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
dont waste ur money on a print server, if the printer is always connected to one computer just share it over the network like u always do.. I have played with print server before and they suck :)

That's the problem...they have a laptop and no other PCs will be networked, otherwise I'd not have them spend the money on a print server.

nd4spdbh2, how long has that one been in operation without problems?

Thanks for the tips!

do they already have a printer or will you be purchasing a new one? that might make a difference as to which products you are looking at.

Sorry, I had to find where it was written down. It's a Canon Pixima IP2600. Maybe wouldn't have been my choice, but they got it cheap and have asked me to hook it up.

That's the problem...they have a laptop and no other PCs will be networked, otherwise I'd not have them spend the money on a print server.

nd4spdbh2, how long has that one been in operation without problems?

Thanks for the tips!

coupla weeks now without problems... and my printer wasnt on the "tested as working" list o printers.

Just folowed the directions to make the computer think its a LOCAL printer so that it doesnt try and connect every single time the printer is displayed on something. the document sits in the print queue on the computer and signals the print server to wake the printer, once the print server and printer are ready the document is transferred to the print servers onboard "ram" then the document is printed. this all happens in a mater of 10 secs or less.

isnt there just a USB > Ethernet converter?
so the printer just connects straight to your printer via a usb > ethernet cable?

Or, get them a G router that has a print server built-in.

Asus WL-520gU has a nice USB port and a print server included in the firmware. It also supports custom firmware.
See, that's why I asked! Best of both worlds for them. I'm getting the ASUS WL-500g Premium v.2. It has some good reviews and supports 3rd party firmware if I need it.

Thanks for all the help folks!

Back