• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heat in a brick ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i686

hi'
before I get this 9800gx2, I never had a card with such a built,
all the cards I had were "naked", why such a box?
is it to protect the pcb of the card or is it just for good looking?

I was thinking that all these new card could run out of the box, and for sure cooler, am I right?

I was thinking to strip my 9800gx2 ...

anythought about this?
anyone?

thanks

i686

The box is because the two pcb's are facing inwards, so there is a pcb at the top and bottom, and there is a case around it so the air is channelled out the back of the case rather than blown around inside making other components hotter.

my 9800gx2 looked better and ran cooler without the dumb case around it, it comes off in 2 peices and is pretty easy to take apart and reassemble.

my 9800gx2 looked better and ran cooler without the dumb case around it, it comes off in 2 peices and is pretty easy to take apart and reassemble.
I went through the process of disassembling and back, carefully, it's not really a problem, just one thing to take care of, is the "sli" link with a fragile slot, the rest is may be unusual but managable.

so, you think that I should take the box off, what was your temp after disassembling? did you gain a lot?
just to know, I'm ready to do it, I just wanted some confirmation from 9800gx2 owner or former owner ;)

i686

Back