• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tyan S5211 mobo won't boot IDE.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lethalduck

I have recently bought a S5211 mobo.
The board doesn't detect anything on the IDE interface to boot from.
Power to the drive is on as the light on front comes on and the tray opens/shuts.
I've tried a DVD/W, CD/ROM, both with master jumper on/off.
I've tried different IDE cables and tried both plugs on the cables.
I've also tried IDE HDD's and they do not get detected either.
Is there a setting in BIOS that is supposed to be changed in order for IDE devices to be recognised?

What in your bios is set to boot first? Floppy, CD, HDD?
Change it if it isn't already set, to CD then attach only a cd drive with a windows boot disk in it.

Does any drive show up in bios when you have only one drive attached via IDE?

enable "legacy USB support" in the BIOS

lethalduck, go into the bios and enable "legacy USB support" (which is disabled by default). The IDE CDRom drive will then show up as a USB 2.0 device. I don't exactly know why. But that's what happens.

We just encountered the exact same problem at work on a Tyan s5211-1U board running BIOS 1.06. On a whim, the boss made the change and the CDRom drive appeared.

Hope that helps.

-gary

Had the same issue with a P5Q, updating the bios didnt helped, i ended using a SATA dvd ;)

It could also be that if the board is really new, the IDE interface might be shutoff by default...in the advanced chipset section, look for something about enable ide or legacy support...changing the interface to "legacy" or "native ide support"....should be something in the manual about it, or you might an updated manual on Tyan's site.
You might want to google your question as well....could be more than just the two of you experiencing this little annoyance. It could be a known issue and there might be a hot fix, or work around for it.
Hope this helps,
Doc

Back