• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Half.com Chargeback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krogen

Hello,

So about three months ago I sold a textbook on Half.com. It was still the beginning of a school semester, and I found a buyer quite quickly. The transaction went smooth, buyer paid and I never heard from him again.

Well, yesterday I look at my email and I see that I have a chargeback notification from Half.com.

Dear Half.com Seller,

Half.com has received a Chargeback from your sale of the below item. A Chargeback is a transaction reversal initiated by the cardholder with their credit card issuer. In this case, it could be one of two things: 1) the buyer is claiming they did not receive this item from you or 2) it could be a result of the purchase being made with unauthorized funds.

• Order number: X

• Transaction number: X

Half.com highly recommends that Sellers insure and track shipments. This is for the Sellers protection and allows proof of delivery to be provided in the event of a chargeback.

Proof of delivery can either be a Tracking Number or Delivery Confirmation Number from the Shipping Carrier or a USPS Return Receipt signed by the buyer.

Please reply with the following information:

• Order Number: X
• Transaction number: X
• Date of shipment:
• Shipping method:
• Tracking/Delivery Information:
• Comments

Your reply must be received within 72 hours, if you do not respond, we will assume that you did not ship the item and your seller's account will be debited.

Thanks in advance for your prompt attention in this matter.

Sincerely,

Ebay’s Half.com Chargeback Division

Well, I looked up everything in my account information, LUCKILY I saved the tracking information. Emailed them promptly and a few hours later got a response.

Dear krogenx,

Thank you for your prompt response to our request with the shipping information for the sale order referenced.

Order number: X
Transaction number: X

We have disputed the chargeback on your behalf and must allow the buyer's credit card company 75 days to reply to our dispute. Please be assured that your account will not be debited for this transaction.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Sincerely,

eBays Half.com Chargeback Divisions

Now, what amazes me is how stupid people can get. You BUY a book, you GET what you wanted, but because you have never used it, you want a chargeback....?

What's even worse, the default shipping option on Half.com for books is Media Mail. Now, MEDIA MAIL DOES NOT PROVIDE TRACKING INFO. Isn't there something wrong with this?

Default Half.com shipping option does not provide tracking.
Now they want tracking information from me...? :bang head

I'm so lucky that the buyer went with a faster shipping option.

I don't think there's even a way to remove Media Mail as a shipping option.

Hopefully the chargeback will be denied.

You can get Delivery confirmation with media mail. I have done it before, but of course it costs more.

What's even worse, the default shipping option on Half.com for books is Media Mail. Now, MEDIA MAIL DOES NOT PROVIDE TRACKING INFO. Isn't there something wrong with this?

Default Half.com shipping option does not provide tracking.
Now they want tracking information from me...? :bang head

I'm so lucky that the buyer went with a faster shipping option.

I don't think there's even a way to remove Media Mail as a shipping option.

Hopefully the chargeback will be denied.

You can use Delivery Confirmation for media mail which is similar to tracking and more than sufficient to protect against chargebacks. I keep a stack of DC slips on my desk as I will never ship anything without proof of shipment/delivery as I know there are a lot of shady people out there.

Glad you're covered and good luck with the situation. :)

Hi Krogen,

I write and sell books and e-books about computers, one of my pay processors (Click Bank) has a 56 day gurantee and if someone wants a charge back after that they will not give it, how ever this is for digital products only. I have had a couple of people with different stories try to get their purchase price back.

Pay Pal on the other hand is like Half.com they have a 75 day charge back but that is from the date of purchase, not when the buyer decides they want their money back. I have had three of these but only one actually went through. Pay Pal is pretty good with those also.

And my hard copy books have a 30 day gurantee from the product publisher, I have had one book returned after 60 days, Cafe Press contacted me and asked if I wanted to honor it, if I did I had to pay their costs (which is half of what the book costs when it is sold) so the answer was no, the purchaser had it for 60 days.

So I can see where you need to protect yourself when you sell things on line. Nothing is iorn clad and if they can find away to get their money back some will do it.

Maybe you should check with Half.com, they maybe mistaken, the 75 day rule that Pay Pal uses is from date of purchase not when the buyer decides they want their money back.

MHO...

let me tell you something. people are *****. Happens all the time where I work. Someone will buy something and break it, they will send it back then do a freaken charge back on us. We had nothing to do with it they f-ed up there product instead of going to the manufacture they come to us and we take the fall.

We have seen to where people will order a lot of stuff then do a charge back claiming fraud. Well its hard to call it fraud when its shipped to the billing address with a Y match on the AVS.

People are dishonest A-holes. I wish you luck. Hate to break the news but I dont think you will get your money.

Oh by the way we ship with FedEx insured and tracked. 100% of the time people get there money back. The Credit card companies do not look out for anyone but there card holders.

let me tell you something. people are *****. Happens all the time where I work. Someone will buy something and break it, they will send it back then do a freaken charge back on us. We had nothing to do with it they f-ed up there product instead of going to the manufacture they come to us and we take the fall.

We have seen to where people will order a lot of stuff then do a charge back claiming fraud. Well its hard to call it fraud when its shipped to the billing address with a Y match on the AVS.

People are dishonest A-holes. I wish you luck. Hate to break the news but I dont think you will get your money.

Oh by the way we ship with FedEx insured and tracked. 100% of the time people get there money back. The Credit card companies do not look out for anyone but there card holders.

Yes people are A-holes but proof is proof, CC companies cant dismiss it just because their card holder says so. People have tried to do charge-backs against me on place like ebay and they never win because I always cover my hind parts when selling stuff online because yup, most people are dishonest A-Holes. The OP has proof it was paid for legitimately and shipped and delivered, he has nothing to worry about.

Back