• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI X58-T3eh6 suicided - help me figure out why

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
Well My board just smoked itself last night. Been running ok for 3 days at a mild OC (3.4Ghz, @1.18vCore and 1.56vDIMM) and all of a sudden it started acting wierd. almost like it was lagging. Then I got a wiff of that nice burn't electronics smell and I launched myself towards the power button just in time to hear a crackle, see a puff of smoke and the whole system shut off. A voltage regulator blew for basically no reason. Killed the processor as well and Im sure screwed up several other things too like memory and video card.... I say memory because I put a new chip in a new board (same model) and even at a measly 150blck (3ghz) I often get post code errors indicating insuficient voltage on the RAM. And when video card is folding(ie full load) I sometimes hear a nice electronic whine.

What I really want to know is how the heck can weak settings like those, which have been that way for over a week prime stable (and then folding stable for the last several days) Suddenly just blow. I want to make sure it wasn't something I did and as far as I can see it wasn't something I did in the BIOS that caused this but Im wondering if it might be some physical issue.

Possibilites that I can think of:

1) doubtful but would a faulty video card do this? Those things do pull a ton of power into them but I dunno. But I did recently change from a 260 to a 285 a day or so ago...

2) Fans plugged into pin headers, do the VR's near the proc handle voltages for more than just the proc? This board has several fan headers (6 I think) and even though the stuff on them weren't very power hungry could all of them combined do this?

3) Did I just get a faulty board?

Had the same thing happen to me with a DFI p35 board. They were really cool and set me up with an RMA right away. I would call them ASAP.

Back