• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Dell Studio 14z

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
Anyone see this new line of laptops by dell? Looks like the best mid-line I've been dying to see.

This has a starting price tag of $649 and a nvidia 9400 chipset paired with ddr3 and a core 2 duo, this to me seems like a perfect computer. I want it to be out for awhile to get some solid reviews before I decide to make the plunge for one in the future.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/28/dell-studio-14z-hands-on/

When I first saw the 14z a few days ago, it also looked like the perfect laptop for me to use in university, but after doing some digging, I unearthed a few annoyances/potential issues that may make you reconsider getting the 14z:
1. a 1 GB stick of ram is soldered onto the motherboard so you only have one free ram slot to make upgrades
2. the integrated 9400m video card
3. there isn't a built-in flash card reader (but you can get one that slides into the express card slot)
4. there's no vga out port
5. its function keys (F1, F2, F3, etc.) appear to be accessed by holding down the "Fn" key
6. the chainlink pattern that comes only with the black cover (you have to wait until September for the Dell Design Studio to offer the 14z with >100 different cover designs)

The primary features that make the 14z stand out are its 1600x900 screen and its ~6.5 hr battery life (with the 8 cell battery that doesn't protrude out of the notebook)

I'm also looking at the sxps 13, thinkpad t400, and the macbook (unibody), and at this point, the 14z is a serious candidate, but I may very well go with something else.

I don't see how point a 9400m video card is a flaw? That is more than enough power to do hd and anything a laptop should in my opinion.

Doesn't it have an HDMI out?

Back