• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help-oc gone wild!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ejk01

my son decided to try overclocking after reading an article on wikepedia...not good.

he changed things in bios and now the computer will not boot up...and we cannot even get into bios. the computer turns on for a few seconds...then turns off and does this over and over. never even gets to bios post screens.

gigabyte ga-ep45 mb.

i know nothing about oc but figure my son has some really bad settings in bios...and prevents boot up or has damaged something.

will call gigabyte tech support tomorrow a.m. but thought someone here might have some advice on things to try to get computer running.

thanks

Last edited:
Unplug the pc first, Open it up and Pull the CMOS battery, Find a Wire if you cant or a metal object and Connect the 2 metal connectors so it drains the life from the board. Wait about 20 seconds put it back in and fire it up, Bios should be reseted

my young son decided to try overclocking after reading an article on wikepedia...not good.

he changed things in bios and now the computer will not boot up...and we cannot even get into bios. the computer turns on for a few seconds...then turns off and does this over and over. never even gets to bios post screens.

gigabyte ga-ep45 mb.

i know nothing about oc but figure my son has some really bad settings in bios...and prevents boot up or has damaged something.

will call gigabyte tech support tomorrow a.m. but thought someone here might have some advice on things to try to get computer running.

thanks
Slow down.
What's this "metal object" crap?

Switch the PSU off and unplug it.
Look in your manual and find where your CMOS jumper is located.
Remove the jumper and place it in the CLEAR position for 10-15 seconds.
Put it back in the NORMAL position.
Plug the power supply back in and switch it on.
Boot up the PC - tap the DELETE KEY whilst doing so - that will take you into BIOS.
LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS - SAVE & EXIT.
Report back after you have done this and also give us a complete list of your system hardware.
We may have to help you tweak a few things back in.

ok man, where the battery lays you should see the metal connector on the bottom and maybe one on the side. Try to drain all power from the board with a Wire Etc...

In other words connect without battery

Or do what he says. whichever works for you

On the board right next to the battery there should be what is called a jumper. There should be a jumper cap on it. It will either be blue.yellow or red. Default position is 1-2 and the clear cmos position is 2-3. First unplug the power supply then take the cmos battery out. It looks like a nickel. Just be carefull when you take it out. Then move the the jumper cap to the # 2-3 pins for about 30 seconds. Then move the jumper cap back to the 1-2 pins:D then replace the battery and then you can plug the power back in and turn the power on, When you see the first screen popup hit delete and go into the bios and load either optimal settings or setup defaults there might also be a failsafe default setting in there also. Save and exit the bios and you should be good to go. Good luck.

Last edited:
+1 on lokies advice

I disagree with Jesters advice based on the relative inexperience of the OP, and danger to hardware, and possible health, if it's incorrectly applied. It is technically correct, but not advised for someone who doesn't know exactly what they're doing.

My initial post wasn't very informative about why I disagreed with it, upon reflection (and after reading other threads lately posted, as well as following this thread further, I have come back to clarify my intentions, and explain my stance.

Last edited:
If you can't find the jumper, here's another way that i've used in the past:

1) Unplug power supply.
2) Hit power button, things will fire up for less then a second and turn off again, this drains all the power out of the capacitors in the power supply.
3) Take the battery out.
4) Put the battery back in, upside down.
5) Wait ten seconds.
6) Take the battery out.
7) Put the battery back in, right side up.
8) Plug computer in.
9) Turn it on, hit DEL to enter bios like Chuck said, and load optimized defaults.
10) Set a bios access password so your son can't go crazy again.

It is worth noting that i've done this at least half a dozen times on my computer so far, as the jumper sits under my video card and it's easier to muck with the battery then to get to the jumper.

You didn't say what version of the "ga-ep45" you have, so *Maybe* this will help. Unplug the PSU and remove the on-board battery. Look at the attached pics below and ID your board and look for the "CLR CMOS" jumper. If there is a jumper attached to one pin, remove it and place it over BOTH and count to 3 (in Mississippi's if you like :D) then place back in original position. Re-install the battery and plug it all back in and you should be able to boot up and set the required parameters.

As for people coming down on SP-JESTER for his suggestion... The CLR CMOS jumper does exactly what jumping the battery contacts would do in most cases. "Jumpering" if you will, the battery connections can/will have the same effect, like flipping over the battery in the holder, same thing... Maybe he didn't explain it in the best of terms by stating "Find a Wire if you cant or a metal object", but he at least tried, no need to "-8000" or otherwise his attempt at helping... that just makes people want to help less, and doesn't help anyone to learn more, or to even properly express what they may be trying to say...

Attachments

• DS3.jpg
    DS3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 75
  • UD3L.jpg
    UD3L.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 76
  • UD3P.jpg
    UD3P.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 74
it works again!!

thank you all very much for being so helpful...if i would have read the manual more carefully i would have seen the procedure.

system components are -

gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3r mb
intel e8400 processor w/ freezer pro 7 cooler
evga gtx260 video card
corsair dominator pc2 8500 memory 4x1GB
enermax liberty 620w ps
antec 900 case
windows xp os (waiting for 64bit windows7)

this is my sons computer and he wants to try overclocking. i think i will start reading up here have encouraged him to join these forums to get help as he tries things.

thanks again

Back