• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does a motherboard need a CPU to post?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

I just put together my P6T together, but I can't even get it to post. I've taken out everything except for the CPU, but there aren't even any error beeps. I noticed that the USB peripherals (mouse and keyboard) do not receive power and I was wondering if a working processor is necessary for USB devices to even start receiving power. Basically trying to figure out if its the processor or motherboard that is bad.

Power supply turnining on?

Is the 8 pin cpu power plugged in?

Does it turn all the fans on etc?

If there is power to it, IE fans spinning up, and you have no memory/gpu installed and it doesn't give any beep codes, the board is dead.

Power supply turnining on?

Is the 8 pin cpu power plugged in?

Does it turn all the fans on etc?

Yes, yes, and yes

If there is power to it, IE fans spinning up, and you have no memory/gpu installed and it doesn't give any beep codes, the board is dead.

Fans are spinning up (including the ones that are connected to the motherboard), and no memory or gpu, and no beep codes. However, how do I know that it is the board, and not the CPU? Is there any way to tell, I'm reading mixed messages when I google this...

In 775land no cpu means no beep codes, nothing else on the board actually has any brainpower.
That could be different for i7's though.

Will USB devices at least light up (such as my optical mouse) without a working CPU?

My fans definitely start, and yes reset the bios. Also, the board is brand new.

I just had this happen (computer wouldn't POST). I had the ASUS MB CD in the drive during startup and it booted to DOS with BIOS installation options. Not knowing how to get out of DOS, I held the power button. Once the computer restarted, nothing happened. I thought I had fried the BIOS chip. Figuring that I would need to replace the chip, I removed it. I decided that it would be best to store it in the socket, so I put it back in. On a whim, I started up the computer and it POSTed. I'm not sure what the heck happened now, but somehow this helped. Maybe removing and reinstalling the chip will help? Worked for me... Somehow...

I had a similar issue with an Ausus M/B while back, and what I did even after resetting Bios didnt boot.

So I tried this Disconnect all the M/B power plugs from PSU Reset Bios and also take Battery out , then leave for at least 30minutes

Then put battery back connect back the PSU power plugs, and hey presto it booted and posted,

May work for you too,,, hopping it does.

Do you have the motherboard speaker plugged in?

yes...

I have RMA'ed the board, ASUS said they'd ship me a new one, so I'll try the new board, and post back here if it still doesn't work. It should come in on Friday. Thanks for the responses so far.

Back