• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cautionary Best Buy story with happy ending

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

I found a certain model electric razor that I wanted because I'm sick of the stupid insane prices of Mach 3, Sensor or whatever blades so I found a nice Panasonic that rated really well for $30 online ($18 at NewEgg). It had really good ratings but just in case it sucked I wanted to buy local so it would be less of a hassle to return than dealing with an RMA and mail. I find it on the Best Buy website for $40 and figure "what the hell, I'll pay the premium to buy it local". No other local store stocked it either. Now, I could've paid my $40 and did a store pickup and I almost did but a little voice chirped in the back of my head saying "Don't do it Fudgey!" Thank you, Jimney Cricket. When I got to the store I found that they had them marked clear down to $15. Had I whipped out my card and paid online, then I would've never went back to the area where they had them, never saw the markdown and would've overspent by $25.

And now you know, and knowing is half the battle....

BB doesn't auto-rpicematch their website to instore? Or was it maybe only certain stores including yours that had it on sale.

Those 'disposable' razors can be used for months/years.. Pat them dry with a towel/tissue after use, or store them in 'barbacide' or similar.

The dulling you see on the razor is caused by rusting. Removing the moisture after use will make them last virtually forever. I didn't believe it when I heard about it on Clark Howard's radio show, until I tried it.

I used one of the 19c yellow throw away razors for almost a year.

I used the original blade on my Gillette Mach3 until recently, when I recieved a sample of the Schick Quadro Titanium, with the trimmer on the handle. I'll probably use that thing until I get another free razor.

So if you were to say, dunk them in 90% isopropyl and let it evaporate, which would help evaporate the water, that would do the same thing?

Those 'disposable' razors can be used for months/years.. Pat them dry with a towel/tissue after use, or store them in 'barbacide' or similar.

The dulling you see on the razor is caused by rusting. Removing the moisture after use will make them last virtually forever. I didn't believe it when I heard about it on Clark Howard's radio show, until I tried it.

I used one of the 19c yellow throw away razors for almost a year.

I used the original blade on my Gillette Mach3 until recently, when I recieved a sample of the Schick Quadro Titanium, with the trimmer on the handle. I'll probably use that thing until I get another free razor.

I would agree except that when the aloe strip wears away then they tear up my face.

edit: ouch! so did this thing. I must be doing something wrong. I haven't tried to use an electric since I was 14.....

Last edited:
I would agree except that when the aloe strip wears away then they tear up my face.

edit: ouch! so did this thing. I must be doing something wrong. I haven't tried to use an electric since I was 14.....

Actually, most electric razors are supposed to be used for like 2 weeks before your skin adjusts to it.

Thanks for this, I never thought of it.

Losing the aloe strip doesn't really bother me. I tend to use the same blade a number of times after the strip wears off and I don't really notice a difference other than the blade becoming duller.

Thanks for this, I never thought of it.

Losing the aloe strip doesn't really bother me. I tend to use the same blade a number of times after the strip wears off and I don't really notice a difference other than the blade becoming duller.

It depends on your face really. I can't use the cheap-o disposable razors on my face because my facial hair is generally pretty stiff/rough and I get pretty bad razorburn if they aren't smooth. Yes the replacement blades are a little pricey for the good razors (I have a Mach 3) but they still last for quite a while and I recently found them at Costco for a very good price. Obviously it wasn't $5 for 20 razors like the disposable ones are but still an excellent price.

Also @ Nuggets, if you are hurting your face with the electric razor take a look at your local grocery store for stuff called 'pre-electric' its similar to after shave but helps to moisten your face a bit like a shaving cream but it still works with electric razors. It also works well as just an after shave especially if you tend to get razorburn easily like I do.

Took me about 2 weeks to get used to my rotary shaver. Problem with electric shavers is if you let the hair grow out too long, they literally pull the hair out rather than cutting it.

If I let my whiskers grow out too long, I use the beard trimmer on the back to get it down to size and then go over it with the shaver. I only shave after showering too, it helps soften the hair.

Back