• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can you tell if a MB is good for OCing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeffa

Hello community.

First time poster, and first time OCer. I'm hoping the community can help me out with a question.

I'm interested in building a high end graphics workstation for 3d modeling and animation, as well as GIS applications.

After much reading, I'm interested in building a system with dual Xeon E5520's and overclocking them. I've googled my brains out, and haven't found a lot on OCing the 5500 Xeons. (actually, I'm not even sure if it's possible. Is it?) So I'm not too sure which MB would be best to OC. Obviously, more expensive boards tend to have more options. But these are also Intel's server based processors, so I'm not sure if they really focused on buildng mobos that can easily be OC'ed. Other than scanning the reviews on Newegg and seeing if anyone posted about OC'ing on any particular board, I'm not sure where else to find the info.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

You have to do research basically. Look around the shops for nice looking mobos and google for reviews or posts by people that have used them. It won't usually be in the specs of the item where you buy it.

Back